1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would be the least expensive way to get my PS2 to play game back-ups?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by metave, Jan 1, 2008.

1. metave

metave Member

First thing first: I have at maximum a $30 dollar budget for this.

Second thing to keep in mind: I'd prefer not getting a mod chip. I can't solder, and I don't have a credit card or any means of buying things off the Internet for right now.

Thirdly, I have a Version 9 PS2 (a fat one)

I've been leaning towards the USB hard drive method, but again, I'm not sure. Would a USB flash drive be the same in this instance, as long as I formatted it correctly (FAT 32, if I remember correctly)? I'm pretty sure my flash drive is backwards compatible with USB 1.1 (or at least that's what Sandisk's website says).

Now, I read that the games themselves will be put onto the USB hard drive. That's not what I want; I want to have a burnt DVD that's a backup of the game, and play the game off of that. Is this impossible with the USB hard drive method?

Finally, I'm trying to visualize how this works, do I:
    1. Have the USB hard drive plugged in
    2. Turn on the console
    3. Put in a boot disk
    4. Switch to the burnt game
    5. Play

or is there another order to it?

That's about all I have questions about for now; thanks for bearing with a newb to modding, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

2. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

you won't be able to boot burnt games without swapmagic, modchip, or memory card exploit.

using a hdd is way better than using discs. but usb hdd's are slightly better. running a IDE hdd with the network adapter is the best for fat ps2.

also, the ps2 won't read the hdd by itself, so having a usb hdd plugged in is useless. there is no way for the ps2 to read the hdd without exploiting the system.

3. charger07

charger07 Member

I FOUND OUT HOW TO DO IT FOR FREE. I HAVE V12 THE SLIM LINE VERSION DID NOT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING TO PLAY THE GAMES I TRIED PLAYING DOWNLOADED GAMES AND BACKUPS PSX AND PS2 AND ALL PLAY GREAT.

4. metave

metave Member

I've been researching for the last few hours, and I've come up with:
    Swap Magic: simple to use, out of reach for me, and kind of "bulky" (having to mess with the DVD tray for the PS2) so, no for me.
    Mod chip: again, easy to use, hard to install, and freaking expensive. No again.
    Memory card exploit: I haven't read too much about this. I read the tutorial in the sticky, then I read it again, and again, and still have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Ironically, it looks like the only method I have at my disposal.

Could I get a (brief or in-depth) explanation of the memory card exploit? How would I do it on a fat (Version 9) PS2? The guide I read seemed to cater to people with slim PS2s.

5. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

stuff needed for memory card exploit (ONLY FOR FAT PS2):

-cheagting device (ARMAX recommended)
    -ps2 memory card with at least 2mb free
    -original ps1 game

optional stuff (but highly recommended):
    -official network adapter
    -IDE hdd (must have network adapter for it to work)
    -hdloader 0.8b elf HERE
    -winhiip (for transfering games from computer to hdd; google for download)

when i first saw the memory card exploit, i was confused too. but after reading THIS exploitstation.com tutorial, everything was easy.

before you create the exploit, you add the hdloader elf to the save builder.

6. metave

metave Member

Wow... that's... easy. Thanks so much for giving me that link.

This should be what I need, right?

Now, to prove that I'm a complete newb: what do I do from the launchELF loading screen? Pop in my burned disk?

As for the optional hard drive and network adapter... maybe when I get more than $30, although I doubt it. I just want to play custom Guitar Hero songs, and maybe some SNES games (only what I own in cartridge form, of course).

Once again, thanks for your help!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  7. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

that ARMAX will work. it has usb compatability.

on the launchELF loading screen, you're able to configure the other elf files you have added to the memory card to a button. so if you were to use hdloader and emulators, you assign hdloader to the x button, your snes emulator to the o button, etc.

as for the emulators and roms, not too sure about that, as i don't run emulators on mine. but you should be able to add the emulator elf into the save builder, and have your roms on a usb flash drive or hdd (not sure on how to get roms on hdd)

8. metave

metave Member

Oh, Ok. I sorta get it. So you map certain applications to the buttons, and go from there.

Although, that probably means I'm screwed with this method, too, because I don't have a USB hard drive big enough to hold a game. Is there an ELF program that works kind of like Swap Magic, where it would prompt me to insert a disk? Or am I screwed until I get a big enough hard drive?

9. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

i think cogswapelf is what you need. haven't used that either, but you need to remove the front cover of the disc tray, and use a slidecard to eject the tray. it's basically the same procedure as swapmagic.

once you played your games on a hdd, it's hard to go back to discs (except for online gaming; original game disc must be used). loading times are nearly gone.

as for a hdd, a 100gig will suffice. my 300gig maxtor is way overkill; i have 30 games and only 100gigs is used. but the hdd must be IDE/PATA. SATA hdd won't work. also, you must have the network adapter. go HERE and you'll see my pics of how to connect the hdd/network adapter to the ps2.

10. metave

metave Member

Wow again. That looks / sounds amazing (nice detailing on the network adapter).

It's too bad my financial situation won't allow it, and that stores don't carry the network adapters anymore.

Here's what seems to be the best course of action:

- pay a buddy to get a USB HDD off of newegg for cheap.
    - borrow another buddy's Action Replay MAX and do the mod
    - put the necessary software onto the HDD, and plug it into the PS2

Last question: Am I going to run into USB 2.0 / USB 1.1 compatibility problems if I do this?

And finally, I don't think I can thank you enough for your helpfulness. I'm lucky you were on this late. :)

11. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

it's new years day, and no one is asleep over here. nothing like killing time on aD.

the ps2 runs usb1.1; isos might run slow off a usb hdd, and most certainly the fmv will be choppy and lag. also, hdloader won't recognize usb hdd.

you can still find network adapters used now at gamestop for $20 a piece. other members who have a fat ps2 would also recommend the network adapter/ide hdd combo. if you can't afford the hdd right now, it's best to spend the money on the network adapter; eventually the network adapter will be scarce again. (took me half an hour to get the PS logo just right on mine)

right now, you can do the exploit. all you need is ARMAX and free space on your memory card.

12. metave

metave Member

My dad gave me his $25 dollar gift card to Circuit City, which was a good combination to my Circuit City gift card (Christmas gifts), so I went and bought Action Replay MAX for myself (it came with a free memory card).

Then, I sold some games back to Game Crazy (my local used games vendor), and bought a PlayStation 2 Network Adapter for $15 store credit.

Total costs so far: no cash; $45 in store credits.

I added the the exploit file from that tutorial you gave me to my flash drive. I couldn't get it to show up on the Max Memory Control screen at first, but then I used MAX Media Creator, and it showed up. I uncrushed it to the memory card that I got free with AR Max, and reset the system. I popped in Silent Hill, my trigger disc, and got to the LaunchELF main screen. To be blunt, it felt good to see it all work out.

But then, a new problem: the hard drive I salvaged from a computer doesn't fit in the adapter. It's not that big of a deal, though; I think I'm going to buy a hard drive for cheap from the guy who's lending me a IDE HDD USB enclosure.

In the meantime, I figured that I'd get the necessary programs for setting up a SneStation. I was thinking the memory card that came with the AR max; I still have ~ 14 MB left on my new memory card, and ELFs are small. This way, I could also put a few ROMs on the memory card, and play them wherever (just bring the memory card and Silent Hill with me).

Well, I'm off to go research mounting burned disc images to a hard drive. I want everything ready for when I get the USB IDE HDD enclosure. I've heard it takes a while to get the games on it over a USB cable.

Thanks again for your help, this is going to be amazing once it's finished.

13. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

if you were using a western digital hdd, they won't fit without physical modification to the network adapter.

also, don't use a usb hdd enclosure with the ps2. hdloader won't recognize it. and the fat ps2's benefit the most when the hdd is connected to the network adapter. stick with a regular IDE hdd. maxtor is highly recommeded.

getting games onto the hdd is easy. you rip them with dvd decrypter, and load with winhiip. you can use a usb enclosure or directly connect the hdd to the IDE cable.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  14. metave

metave Member

Oh, I forgot to say...

I'm using the hard drive enclosure because I have a laptop. It's going to be hell on the built-in burner, but it's only for 3~4 DVDs. Then I'm going to plug the hard drive (I'm making sure it fits before I get it this time!) into the network adapter, and go from there.

After the hell I went through getting a 1 gig flash drive to show up on AR MAX and LaunchELF 3.41, I have no desire to go through that mess every time I want to play a game (admittedly, it would be easier to do with uLaunchELF 4.12, which I ended up installing anyways).

I downloaded WinHIIP; in order to put games onto the hard drive I'm going to get, is this the order:

1. Create an ISO image from the PS2 game and store it on my laptop
    2. Plug in USB IDE HDD enclosure and format it with WinHIIP
    3. Using the correct settings (from the sticky), add the ISO to the hard drive through WinHIIP

?

Edit: Whoops, I thought the last line of your post was part of your sig. I'll leave those steps here for posterity. Just to make sure, I don't need any crazy partitioning or anything; I just format the whole drive and put games on it, right?

Again, I'm noticing a distinct lack of guides for "discless" backing up of the PS2. Something I might rectify...

I'm thinking of revising that guy's tutorial (the one you gave to me), to update the LaunchELF to 4.12 and simplify things even more. Maybe even go as far as burning the ISOs to the hard drive. But that's going to be a while; I'm going to test some things out first. I should be fine, from a copyright standpoint, if I give him credit, right?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2008
  15. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

when you format the hdd in winhiip, you will need to enable 48LBA. if you don't enable that, then the hdd will only use 128gigs.

loading games with winhiip is straightforward. but i personally mess with the settings in hdloader. they're more detailed compared to winhiip.

16. metave

metave Member

Noooooo.....

I tried to physically modify my adapter (to fit the Western Digital; I still don't have a lot of money for hard drives, and my friend only had Western Digital drives himself, so I figured, "why not?"

I popped out the IDE connector, and the ribbon cable tore halfway across. T_T

17. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

physical modding either requires cutting of the metal shielding or or leaving the shielding off. but leaving it off allows the connectors to move more. HERE are instructions for western digital drives.

only thing is to get another network adapter.

18. metave

metave Member

^ More or less, that's what I did. Except, I went a bit too rough.

I decided to bite the bullet, and get a $60 160GB Seagate hard drive and pay $30 for a new network adapter on Amazon. If this one doesn't fit, I'm going to scream (the picture looked a lot better, in terms of the IDE and molex connectors being closer together).

Sigh. At least ramen noodles don't taste completely like salt.

Edit: I just realized I still had two questions:

1) Using WinHIIP, can I back up PS1 games to my PS2's hard drive?

2) Is there a way to change where the games save their data, e.g., can I get a game to save to the hard drive instead of the memory card? If not, I sense that I'm going to run into space issues on my memory card.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  19. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

1. no. winhiip only recognizes ps2 games, and in no way will boot ps1 games.

2. no. the games are designed to be saved on memory cards. even the official sony hdd can't do that.

20. bradhunt

bradhunt Member

www.videogameaction.com <- Reliable site for buying a few different mod options (no chips), they might have hdd programs? Dunno.. I just know they are pretty reliable, and best of all, THEY TAKE PAYPAL., great option for people without a credit card if you have a job or a savings account and just transfer money from that.

Just wanted to throw that out, maybe it'll help you ;P