1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats a good dvd player brand?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by ChuckD, Dec 27, 2004.

1. ChuckD

ChuckD Member

i recently bought a sony dvd player with vhs and i find some of my backups skip. all my backups played perfect on my playstation 2. what is a good brand to play movie backups?

2. ChuckD

ChuckD Member

i guess i should ask what models are good for playing backups

3. flag

flag Member

ChuckD...
    Just bought 1 and took it back & got a Magnavox MDV456..50$-10$ rebate at best buy and it is perfect in all cases.

4. ak-47

ak-47 Member

yo get a samsung they play everything and they are pretty good dvd players too or get a toshiba they new skinny silver models forgot the model names.

5. na_tra

na_tra Member

CyberHome is very cheap and plays all available format out there. Model CH-DVD300S at bestbuy.com at $25 after $15 rebate from bestbuy. No need expensive DVD player nowaday.

6. flag

flag Member

I had a problem with the cyberworld 300...got it just before christmas and it skipped alot and noisy...
    maybe just a bad unit... but swear by this one

7. flag

flag Member

I had a problem with the cyberworld 300...got it just before christmas and it skipped alot and noisy...
    maybe just a bad unit... but swear by this one

8. offset

offset Regular member

About 3 of my friends went out and bought a 200-300 dollar Toshiba, and it is one of the pickiest high priced pieces of crap out there (won't play burned dvd's or anything that isn't brand new). I bought a 70 dollar Sanyo from Wal-Mart, and that cheap DVD player plays everything (no skipping or freezing). So far all of my friends went out and bought cheap dvd players to replaced the Toshiba one. Usually you get what you pay for, but dvd players seem to be the exception to the rule.

9. manestle

manestle Member

offset I agree with you totally. In the case of DVD players cheap is good! I have a $40 Apex 1100W that I bought a year and a half ago and it has played everything I've thrown at it. I bought a Philips years back that was to support DVDR's when they became available and guess what? It only plays about half of my backups and when I first insert a DVDR it sounds like the insides of the player are goin' to blowup. One time I had to insert a backup 10 times before it would read it. It dosen't support Mp3, JPEG, MPEG or Kodak picture discs which my Apex does. When and if the ole Apex takes a crap I'll buy another one. $40 every few years is no big deal. And as various formats are updated so will your cheap DVD player.

10. flag

flag Member

Yeppers I agree, my 200. Panasonic is no good for backups!

Best thing is that you can purchase one of these mentioned and if it is not to your satisfaction most places will let you return the product!!!

good luck ChuckD

11. ChuckD

ChuckD Member

most of my back ups seem to be playing fine. theres a few certain movies with 1 spot that skips but plays perfect in my ps2

12. mblue

mblue Guest

put me in that catagory.

13. manestle

manestle Member

mblue, I couldn't agree with you more. As I mentioned earlier in this thread that I had a $300 Philips (Crap) that can play DVD and CD's ok but forget DVD-R/W and it doesn't support Mp3. My Apex for $40 kicks ass. I have had NO PROBLEMS in the year and a half so I got my monies worth for sure. It plays everything it says it will very well except DVD+R/W discs. But this particular format came out after DVD-R/W. DVD-R/W is more prominent as far as DVD players supporting it. DVD-R/W is all I use for my movie backups. I do use DVD+R/W for computer data.

14. ChuckD

ChuckD Member

i bought the Magnavox MDV456 dvd player and it works better than any other i tryed

15. ChuckD

ChuckD Member

ok i take that back. it does have problems play some of my backups

16. flag

flag Member

yep me to but they would not play on anything else either, just bad disk or missing something during burning process probably.

17. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i have a rca that cost $70.00 2 years ago and it plays everything . i decided on it because i have a rca tv also and the remote works with both so need for multi remotes . i get no skipping or freezes with it at all . they are cheaper now than they were 2 years ago .

18. ChuckD

ChuckD Member

maybe its just the ritekg g05's

19. manestle

manestle Member

I have an Apex 1110W which is suppose to play DVD+R's but doesn't. Anyone else have this model with the same problem or is it my unit? It may be the media also. I've only tried Philips which using DVD Info Pro showed CMC Magnetics as the manufacturer.

20. Jason654

Jason654 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2005