1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats a good stand alone dvd player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bathory1, Jan 10, 2004.

1. bathory1

bathory1 Member

I am using xcopy gold for backing up my dvd's and I want to purchase a dvd player that will play the backups. I am using Verbatim dvd-r media and they all play in my pc dvd player. I am using a Pioneer external dvd burner to make the backups. Thanks!
    bathory....

2. mfurj

mfurj Member

Most any newer DVD player should play your backups. Check specs on what you like and make sure it says that it's compatible with -r. Some players do however prefer different brands so don't marry one brand until you try your chosen player. I haven't found anything my Sony won't play. Take a few backups to the store with you to "audition"

3. bathory1

bathory1 Member

Hey, Thanks alot for the advice, greatly appreciated!
    I did go out and buy a Pioneer DV-260 and it is playing the backups just fine so far. I have used TDK 2x dvd-r and 4x Verbatim, so far so good!

bathory....

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bathory1,

When you get tired of your DVD XCopy's opening screen as many of us have, try the new and free DVDShrink 3.1 works the same as DVD XCopy and Xpress but there are 3 steps instead of 2.

Ohh, By the way, Welcome to the DVD Backup Club -

"P"

5. bathory1

bathory1 Member

Thanks alot Old Man Pete. I will definately look into DvDshrink3.1. Is it still freeware? By the way, awsome system you got there!

bathory...

P.S. What DVD media do you recommend?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I use Ritek and Verbatim - no problems at all

and Yes, DVDShrink 3.1 is still available for a limited time only, at the extraordinary price of nothing -

(Ain't life Great ?? :-D

"P"

7. signal

signal Guest

the cheapest works the best. apex dvd players play everything, even mpeg format not burned as a vcd. dont get all pro on dvd players because in the end you will just be let down, trust me, my dvd player is about 300 dolloars i just bought it a year ago and it cant read svcd or mpeg format data disc or dvd backups. even though iut says it can. just frop 30 bucks on an apex.

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

bathory1,

Back to the players, you already have one now and it works for you - Great !!

I just bought one before Xcmas, a super Sale at Radio Shack, cost me $39.95 - works great, plays everything - Go Figure, Huh ?

The only thing I keep to is good media, you're already doing that - you are set !

Cheers,
    Pete

9. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

My standalone is a Mustek V520, played everything i've ever thrown at it, DVD-r, DVD+r, VCD, SVCD & MP3.
    No Divx/Xvid, but for approx £38, can't complain.

10. bathory1

bathory1 Member

Awsome guy's! Yeah, the Pioneer DV-260 is working great! And also, I'm no longer using DVD Xcopy. I have switched to using DVDShrink! Works great! You only need one disk to copy with and no more annoying backup stamp at the begining.

Thanks for your support!

bathory...