1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats a mac adress do for psp?

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by 0Squall0, Sep 6, 2007.

1. 0Squall0

0Squall0 Member

umm can someone please tell me what the mac adress for a psp does, also ive realised that ppl on youtube always cover their mac adress. Y is this?? Srri to sound dumb , but i would appreciate it heaps if someone informed me...

2. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Your Media Access Control adress is a physicle adress that can identify a computer On a Network, or rather its perminate on a psp as for the reason why they block it.give me your mac adress and ill show you why ^Sarcasim^. Dont give Anybody your Mac address Hackers use it to compromese devices and systems on a computer. you can change the mac on a computer by buying a new Network card. you cant buy a new PSP everytime a hacker takes over you psp unit now can you.

S.N. There is also a rumor flying around that sony is trying to find Custom firmwared psp by sniffing A data base of mac adresses. however they only started to keep a database of those addresses as of august 2006.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  3. fearevil

fearevil Guest

what can hackers do if they see u're mac adress?

4. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

Track your location. Spoof it, use the mac to update, reroute and change your ip adress. And with these vunerabilitys open Your prone to viruses, trojens, key loggers, manual file attacks, Remote attacks. i could go on but you get the picture.

S.N. spoofing works both ways, however it is highly unlikey that the psp will have a spoofing tool. also the psp is highly unlikly to be infected with viruses or for that matter any X86 computer virus hence the PSP uses an Risc ARM 9&7 processor. as for the reason why there are hardly any viruses On Risc is because it can only run one process at a time.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  5. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

But as For why they do that on youtube or in general is, common security Practice, Much like the idea if You flash $100.00's on the streets of LA your chances of being robbed just became Much more Indefinate.

6. 0Squall0

0Squall0 Member

ohhh, I see. Thats some scary stuff thats happening these days, Anyway thx heaps, the fact that i didnt know the purpose of a mac adress was stuck in my head for quite a while. ty again!!