1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats better for movies DVD+r or DVD-R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by lilturk1, Sep 19, 2004.

1. lilturk1

lilturk1 Member

i was wondering what format of dvd is better for backing up movies + or -

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Neither one is better for movies intrinsically.

The biggest considerations are media quality (quality media is a must) and the likes/dislikes of the player you own. Not all players are the same as far as what brand/format media they'll play. Here's a link where you can look up your particular player to find out what it likes best :)

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

3. jase

jase Guest

The burn quality (and therefore compatibility) is also dependent on the quality of the writer you use. For example the NEC2500A series can produce a more compatible burn on some cheap Princo/AN31 disc than some writers (Optorite, Nu-Tech etc) manage on Riteks or Prodiscs. I've even found there is a synergy between player, burner and media -- player A will only accept media X if burned by burner Y, then player B won't accept that disc but will play media X if burned by burner Z (which player A won't play).

Which is why I always recommend people buy Pioneer or(late model) NEC burners; they tend to be more compatible. Benq/Philips are also good, but only if you use +R media.

For an easy life, use a highly-compatible DVD player (read cheap!!!), the best discs (ie Taiyo Yuden) and a good writer (Pioneer/NEC). Take any one of these out of the equation and there is the potential for trouble; take two out and you'll be banging your head against the wall. Hence the reason why it is too simplistic to merely say -R is better than +R or brand X media is better than brand Y.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2004