1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's Kosher

Discussion in 'AfterDawn feedback & suggestions' started by jonss, Jan 31, 2004.

1. jonss

jonss Guest

I read a post recently, to which I had an answer to the member's problem. This answer would have included a link to another forum for a guide and software. Before I answer the post I just wanted to ascertain if this is acceptable. I've searched everywhere to post this. I hope it's in the correct section.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sure, if there's no similar guide available at our guide section, you're more than welcome to assist people to visit other forums, sites, etc. We don't have this attitude problem that some sites have "my dad's car is bigger than your dad's, thats why you can't play with us!" :)

3. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

what kind of thread name is that...lol...whats kosher?.....are you jewish? :)

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Main Entry: 1ko·sher
    Pronunciation: 'kO-sh&r
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Yiddish, from Hebrew kAshEr fit, proper
    1 a : sanctioned by Jewish law; especially : ritually fit for use <kosher meat> b : selling or serving food ritually fit according to Jewish law <a kosher restaurant>
    2 : being proper, acceptable, or satisfactory <kosher funding>

...'Net is a great place ;-)

5. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

haha...i just noticed it cuz i am jewish...lol, and it seemed like a weird thread name

6. jonss

jonss Guest

Well, nup, I'm not Jewish. Gentile in fact. Heathen to be more precise. If I attempt to walk into a church, pieces of brick start falling off the building. I was caught in a thunderstorm not long ago and lightning struck not far from me. I knew I was'nt popular when a booming voice emanated from the sky. [bold]BUGGER!!, MISSED!![/bold]. In Australia, if you ask a person whether something is Kosher, it generally means 'is it legal'. I suspect it originated from the 'Cockney' area in London ie: those people born within earshot of the Bow Bells. I could be wrong. I also remember Dennis Waterman and George Cole using it quite a bit in a British TV series most of you would be too young to remember. The show's name was 'Minder'. Oh, and all those funny little ', they're called punctuation marks :)

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Isn't kosher a Canadian term for a jewish hoser?