1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's legal / What's illegal?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by sadsac, Mar 2, 2005.

1. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I briefly scanned a few articles about the legalities of DVD ripping. I'm a little confused.

Some articles say it's strictly illegal to burn a copy of a movie you purchased.

Other articles say it's perfectly legal to burn a copy of a movie you purchased.

What's the real story? I mean, it seems like there would be no problem making a backup to use on a constant basis so that you could preserve your original copy. I mean, my baby watches baby DVD movies all day long. We're constantly switching out movies. It seems like the DVD player never gets turned off. (Maybe not the best parenting practice), but that's not the issue I'm wondering about. Anyway, with the constant use and abuse of our baby movies, they get scratched up (especially when my wife's in charge of the DVD swapping). I have had to re-buy a few.

So what I'm wondering is, is it legal for me to back them up. It's much cheaper to just burn another copy at $.30/disk than to pay $10 to $20 for a new copy of the movies.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

3. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I suggest reading the FBI disclaimer at the begening of every movie you buy or purchase. There is your answer!!

Good Luck

Spacedust

4. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

double post, sorry

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  5. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Thanks for the link. This clarifies things.

I can see that this is a heavily argued point. I didn't realize there was so much information out there on the internet about the subject.

I guess the bottom line is: Any copying, even for your own personal scratch-proofing is ILLEGAL.

6. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Everyone has their own opinion on this. Suffice to say the laws as they are currently written are very vague and open to interpretation. Some people claim "Fair Rights Use" should allow us to be able to make a archival copy of a movie we own. (I agree, I think it should) But the problem is that the Copyright Act, in particular the Fair Rights Use clause says absolutely NOTHING about it being legal to copy a movie for archival purposes for personal use. So from a legal, technical standpoint, it is ILLEGAL for you, me, or anyone else to make a copy of a movie. Here's the thing though. Unless you are mass producing hundreds of copies for the sole purpose of selling them, the FBI, MPAA or anyone else isn't going to come and knock down your door for making a personal copy. They won't waste the time and resources on the individual person. Having said that I wouldn't go advertising all around town what you do. The less people know the less you have to worry.

Until personal privacy in our own homes is completely eroded, who is to say what goes on in your own home? My two cents.

Check out www.doom9.org for some further reading on the legality issues.

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

For now I would say that if you don't make money off the copies and you don't advertise that you can do this, you are safe. Its a 50/50 split as to the laws. The Fair Rights Use may say its OK for a personal backup copy, but its against the law in many countries to have equipment or software that defeats copyright protection. We went 3 pages on this before so I don't see any reason to go through it again.

Jerry

8. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Yeah. Someone posted the link to the thread. I did a search for "legal issues" and a few other search terms, but the link to that thread didn't come up.

I saw that this can of worms had already been opened.

9. Cosmo1111

Cosmo1111 Regular member

I work in a video store and we get bussed by the boss if we take out new releases. So I grab DVD's and take them home and do them up in a flash and take them back. Its easier and then I can watch them whenever I want to.

So in my opinion, its not people VS the FBI. Its people VS there local video store about how long you can have a video out for...the adverage is $6 over-night and even I think that is a wrip off

10. sadsac

sadsac Guest

What in the hell are you talking about???

11. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

When it comes down to it, do what you want. Just shut the f*** up when you do something that's illegal. If you're the only person who knows, your the only person who can get yourself in trouble.

I'm reporting you, Cosmo1111. You're boss is going to give you a good spanking. Seriously though, keep that kind of shit to yourself. Why don't you reply with a "I was only kidding". I really like AD, and would hate to know that this kind of shit was the reason for its demise.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Cosmo1111 what an asinine post, is this how you became a junior member. I read this forum to get constructive information and advice. I read your other thread and wonder what you are trying to prove?

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Cosmo1111,
    Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

14. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

You're supplied us with a disturbing yet relevant scenario:

THAT'S illegal lol

15. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

A backup of a purchased DVD for personal use would not be a criminal offenses. They could sue you for the price of the DVD. So if you trash the original keep it as proof of ownership.