1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats my chance of DSL working? there gonna TRY it...

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Xenokai, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

I live in a area where dsl does not reach. Im around half a mile away from where there limit is. After about 2 years of calls and emails they finnaly got a engineer to check the actual distace and they told me this.......

"engineering just got back with me about your DSL. You are a little outside the limit that we normally install DSL, but we are willing to try if you are to get DSL to you. All we can do is try it at your location. You will need to call & talk to me at the Lafayette office to set this up for you."

Now i was windering what my chances are of it actually working. There gonna try there lowest package which is 128k (better then dial up). Im a techy type person and i REALLY NEED/WANT DSL for my gaming and downloads.

I have 2 phone lines right now and there gonna try it on our normal phone line but that line has always connected slow on dial up even it connects at 29k and our 2nd line connects at 46.6k. Will them trying it on out normal line effect the DSL test? The phone and voice works on it no buzzing its just always been slow on dial up. Whats is the chance of it actually working when they TRY it? Or am i getting excited for nothing?

2. dazila

dazila Regular member

No one can say if it will work it would be a very fishy guess.
    As for the lines if the 1st one dosent work I would just tell the guy that comes to try it on teh 2nd one thats if both your lines run on one phone number not two seperate ones?
    There are always doubts but its worth a shot i mean you will be better of trying and it not working then not trying at all because you wont be kicking your self "Oh that would have worked" LOL!,
    Try it.
    DSL is good ive been using DSL since 1997 well i dint care about it then I was about 8 but i knew we had it it was 256kb/s now im using well since 2001 1.5mbp/s for my needs its fine.
    Yea it will be much faster then Dial-UP you are happy with dial up now but once you try dsl you will get used to it and there is never going back to Dial Up feeling happy again!.LOL!
    Good Luck I hope it works!

3. gordon65

gordon65 Member

If the DSL do not work. You should check into a fixed wireless broadband. I live out in the country where DSL is not offered, I found a company that offers fixed wireless and I got the 1.5 mb package. It works just as good as DSL. Just something you might try looking into.

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

My guess is that it will work but might not be as fast. I live in downtown Philly were it's almost always very fast but my nephew lives out in the sticks and his is considerably slower (but still a lot faster than dial up.)

5. steimy

steimy Active member

seeing that your speed depends on distance with DSL i would agree with the above. Cable is another option if you have that in your area. You can usaully get a 5MB connection for about $43 a month through some cable comapanies, depending where you live. I know up north they were more expensive before i moved down south.
    (also origiannly from "the sticks" around Philly, LOL and Comcast is just expensive!)
    Every time i go back to visit my mom i see what she is paying for cable TV and almost lose it, if it wasn't for Phillies baseball i would already have her on satalite. I told her to get satalite and just start routing on the Braves instead, she of course was not very amused by that.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  6. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

i cant get cable highspeed here ive tryed everything! Ive tryed to look for wireless connections but required line of sight, cable which just isnt in the redneck town, and i looked into sattilite but its ping time is horrible and has a 7.5 GB limite per month then your kicked down to 29k!!!!! plus sat is just to slow for gaming. There gonna try and install it monday and i really pray it works... ive been wanting anytype of highspeed connection for 5 years. if its faster then dial up im fine! Im trying ot keep my hopes down but a whole week of waiting to know if itl work or not will drive me crazy, and ill just be more upset once it doesnt work =/

7. elokito

elokito Regular member

IF it works then u could try asking for faster speeds

im on a 1.5mb down 768kb up and I live on Dominican Republic and im paying 110usd for dsl only so plz people dont say ure paying 2much and this is the max speed on my country

8. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

X,
    DSL standards dictate about 18k feet from a central office with no load coils in your line. It can be farther if the phone co. (assuming here) uses some type of fiber which can really extend distances but is expensive for the company to do. Also they wouldn't do it for one subscriber. Ask the rep how far you are from an office. If your right around 18k-20k you should work if the lines are in good shape and no coils. DSL travels on the same lines as voice just on a different frequncy (thats why filters are needed). Also your dial up speed may have nothing to do with line but with your ISP.

9. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

why does my dial up ISP get on slow on our normal line and not our 2nd phone line then?

10. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

Well it could be due to the conditions on the individual lines. It's really hard to say without actually seeing whats out on the poles, etc.

11. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

whats odd is our 2nd phone line is simply connected to our first phone lines box but yet its faster lol

12. Blackjax

Blackjax Regular member

well unless your on voip (which doesn't sound like it) you still have 2 sets of copper coming in to your residence. I know a little something about this as i work for a telco.

13. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

Sorry for the late reply on the outcome of it working or not. IT WORKED! the installer said he didnt know why they are telling people it will not work because soon as he hooked it up it was at 1.5mb speed (highest speed they offer) so we told him we wanted the 756k package since its like 16$ cheaper a month. Ive been really enjoying the dsl!

The installer said the people at the office simple tell people what there givin on paper. i told my neibor about it and he got the 128k plan but they said we wasnt suppose o tell people we got it here because if more people start wanting it beyond there limit point it could stop everyones in that area. Odd i guess but i sure know i use it alot lol

14. elokito

elokito Regular member

great it worked i was thinking about this thread a couple of days ago whats the upload speed btw?

15. Xenokai

Xenokai Regular member

since its a pretty slow dsl connetion (756k package) i get about 300k upload or more and the download seems to vary. ill take it over dial up ANYDAY!