1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's taking so long for an XBMC360 or Avaluanch 360 to come out

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by forumuser, Apr 13, 2007.

1. forumuser

forumuser Member

I've been wanting a 360 for a while, but hate messing with discs and would love to have this as a front end to an HTPC. WHy is it taking so long for someone to mod the 360 like the old XBOX was where you could add in a larger drive and store media, games, etc on it. Is this something that is expected by the community? Has MS made things harder this time around?

2. Sandwich1

Sandwich1 Guest

It's not that simple. MS did a good job on the software this time around.

3. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Not even that.. It's because the first thing cracked was the ability to copy disks with a firmware flash.. So all other development on bootloaders has virtually stopped. What's the point.. most people are only interested in downloading and burning disks avoiding paying for games. Those of us who could possibly try dumping/hacking the bios etc can't afford a 360. Why should we anyway? What is the incentive?

4. forumuser

forumuser Member

Thanks for the insight. So it's that with XBOX the first thing that was hacked was the ability to play DVD's from the hard drive and the ability to play cracked discs came later?

I would think that reduced boot times in loading the games and the ability to change games while sitting 20 feet away from the XBOX would be big benefits. I don't mind paying for games, I just don't want to mess with discs and I would love to use a 360 as an HTPC front end. From what I understand, that functionality is not really available right now.

5. reprazent

reprazent Regular member

We were just spoiled by xbox1 and it's awesome XBMC.

I sure really do miss that option on my 360, without all the transcoding.

I still use my Xbox1 daily to stream my movies. In fact used my xbox1 90% as a divxplayer, maybe only 10% for gaming.

6. jelle2503

jelle2503 Regular member

obviously you aren't very bright...
    you for sure aren't even capable of dumping hacking the bios, simply because you don't know much about it. neither will you ever because your post it's made out of rubbish

Why Should WE you ask? there's no we
    a whole other WE are currently working on getting homebrew software to work on a 360 just like on the Xbox.. actually these guys enjoy doing this stuff, and possibly being the first to have regionFREEDOM and being able to backup games on your harddrive

7. DodgeM4s

DodgeM4s Member

Give it time and it will happen. Its not easy ya know.

8. forumuser

forumuser Member

Understood. I wasn't being critical, just impatient and curious. An XBOX 360 that runs like an XBOX with an HD version of XBMC would simply put become the pre-eminent HTPC on the marketplace. The only thing it would need is to be quieted down.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

9. Memnock

Memnock Active member

I think all 3 companies learned a lot last gen and they made running unsigned code a lot harder this time around. There's the PS3's Linux, but that's not tapping all the power of the PS3. I'd buy another 360 in a heart beat if they could run unsigned code on it, but couldn't take them on Live.