1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best DVD authoring software?

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by dfarm, Aug 10, 2004.

1. dfarm

dfarm Guest

Thanks for taking the time to read my message.

I have several DVD programs (DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, Nero Ultra 6.13, etc) which I use to backup my DVDs and also a few programs to make DVDs from a camcorder (Pinnacle Studio, etc.).

However, I was wondering what programs are considered the best to author DVDs from .avi and .mpeg clips I have on my hard drive? I already have tools like TMPGEncoder, AVISynth, etc., but I want to be able to use only one or two programs to "tack together" the clips, create menus, and then burn the "tack together" clips to a DVD.

From my understanding, TMPGEncoder is pretty useful for working with .avi and .mpeg clips, but I'm wondering if their DVD author program is good/worth my money?

A friend of mine has Sony/Sonic Foundry's DVD Architect 1.0, but she's as clueless as me when it comes to using it to work with .avi files and such (sorry, haven't taken the time yet to find out if it works with .avi files).

So, basicially I'm wondering if I should use her DVD Architect or buy TMPGEncoder's DVD authoring program or buy Adobe's DVD authoring program (Encore, I believe) or by another program.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. DiRect

DiRect Regular member

Hi,
    You can try these programs trial versions and see which one you like best, but if you take my opinion I think TMPGEnc DVD Author is the best. It's the easiest to use, and the best. If there is any problem with your MPEG - 2 file, it tells you the problem before you can start to author. I have been using that for a while and I would recommend that to everyone. Trust me very easy to use interface :_:!

Hope that helps :)!

Regards,
    DiRect

3. dfarm

dfarm Guest

Thanks DiRect! That's what I was looking for.

4. DiRect

DiRect Regular member

Hi,
    No Problem. We're all here to help :)!!

Regards,
    DiRect

5. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

I agree with direct here,dvd author is not only simple to use but less fussy then say, dvd lab etc.Author will even do mpeg 1 files,where dvd lab complains the whole time.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out alive!!
    procrastinate now...dont put it off till tomorrow
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  6. Paul_oz53

Paul_oz53 Member

Having tried:

Ulead movie factory (2 & 3)
    Adobe encore dvd
    Cyberlink power director pro
    NERO 6.3
    TMPGEnc DVD author 1.6

my experience is TMPG Enc encoded my TV card hardware mpeg2 files perfectly with minimal fuss and effort.

Ulead works OK but introduces a video/audio sync error (about 1 sec audio delay).

Adobe often crashes before it finishes extracting the audio and is very complex and hard to use and also has the delay problem.

Cyberlink appears good with short duration clips but the trial version would not let me encode a full-length DVD so I am uncertain whether it can handle 2 hrs of TV.

NERO 6.3 also has the audio delay problem.

TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 (trial version) worked perfectly and was easy to use but I have yet to get my head around editing out unwanted segments. At this point it would be my preferred choice.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

or you could just use NeroVision Express(NVE) which you already have in the Ultra 6. It will let you create chapters and a menu and has a wonderful import feature for menu layout using video clips, photos and backgrounds. I like it as well or better than TMPGEnc DVD author(which is a good program also, before everybody jumps me). LOL

I also have DVDLab, which is very good, but requires a steeper learning curve.

i have heard wonderful things about DVD architect 2.0 and Vegas 5, but you are talking BIG bucks!
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2004