1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best dvd ripping software?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Kyliefan1, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Kyliefan1

Kyliefan1 Regular member

I'm using the Xilisoft DVD Ripper right now and it's OK. But I want to know what's the best dvd ripper out there?

Thanks.

2. colw

colw Active member

DVD Decrypter

3. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

i second that

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Price: free!
    Easy to use: Yes!
    Handles new encryptions? Yes!
    Created by a guy called Lightning_UK: Yes!
    Makes a cool sound when done? Yes!
    DVD Decrypter: The best ripper.[/b]

5. wild77

wild77 Guest

Decrypter is the only ripper I have ever used!

All the AnyDVD guys must be sleeping!

6. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

AnyDVD isnt a ripper, it simply by passes the encryption so allows shrink/nero/clone to view it as basically a home movie with out protection. It doesnt rip the files itsself

7. wild77

wild77 Guest

I think we all know what AnyDVD does,it was meant as a joke

It just seems like every time someone mentions Decrypter on this Forum there are five that will tell you to use AnyDVD!

8. venomX05

venomX05 Regular member

Best one, huh? What do YOU think is the best one Kyliefan?

Personally, I have both. Call me paranoid or what have you, but I have AnyDVD running and still using DVD Decrypter. Needless to say, regardless if it seems like a waste, but hey, you can't beat free (at least for one).

But yeah, try them both or try one. They are BOTH EXCELLENT programs!

;P

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

For my subjective answer I have AnyDVD but still prefer DVD Decrypter, and best of all this program is free, I think it can't be beat and with the guides available from Scuba Pete and BBMayo anyone can learn to rip and burn.

10. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

As I said in my other post to ANYDVD question, that program will allow copying of protected CDs as well as DVDs. This represents a sigificant diference from current versions of Decryptor, and may be an advantage for some users. They also are a bit faster at updating for new protection schemes. However, I agree that once updated, Decryptor does a fine job on DVD movies.

11. damian_r

damian_r Guest

Hi folks, just a couple of questions
    Can you copy just a couple of minutes from a DVD using DVD Decrypter?
    What is the best format to copy to your HDD (mpeg, avi etc) ready to then bring them together and burn onto a DVD at a later date?

Any help would be apprciated as a thread i have previously started is not getting any replies.

Damian

12. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

to copy a segment use shrink, start stop function

13. damian_r

damian_r Guest

Thanks Deadcat that has worked a treat, i appreciate the help.

I've now tried taking the vob file and using Ulead DVD Moviefactory i have tried adding the extract to a DVD i'm compiling for a quiz night (i've used Dazzle moviestar5 to creat an intro etc which i exported as a .mpeg in order to bring into Ulead)
    The problem is now Ulead is stating that the DVD extract contains AC-3 audio which needs to be converted before i can inport it!!! Can you help??

Also another DVD i want to take an extract from won't let me pick the start/stop frame and it plays it in German rather than english!! What's this all about??

Any help again would be much apprciated.

Damian

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2005
  14. damian_r

damian_r Guest

OK, with reference to my last post I have sorted the start/stop problem - it was me!!

However if anyone can help on the German rather than English and the AC-3 audio thing it would be apprciated.

Damian

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2005
  15. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

damien_r,

Start your own thread.

16. damian_r

damian_r Guest

17. maxwzg

maxwzg Member

DVDPean Pro

18. Phantom69

Phantom69 Regular member

In terms of DVD to DVD I must say DVD Decrypter has its place as does DVD Shrink, which might i say is much faster.
    however DVD to VCD,SVCD,AVI/DivX i would suggest DVDx and XMPEG.

19. Dan1929

Dan1929 Guest

There is no permanent best "ripper/decrypter". I suspect everyone has a favorite decrypter but all of the decrypters have lag time in handling new protections and most or even all of them have issues with other programs. So if you are like me and you want to back up a movie the day you buy it on the day that it's released then you need to collect as many decrypters as possible. One of them will always be able to handle a new protection or DVD structure sooner than all the others. Whichever decrypter works first is the best one for that day.

I always have the newest free DVD43 and free DVD Decrypter installed and I like Anydvd so far. I ripped Meet The Fockers with DVD Decrypter v3.54 today and it didn't remove the bad sector protection (according to 1Click DVD Copy) so I used AnyDVD v5.1.1.1 instead and it worked fine. Next time it may be the other way around.

So the moral of the story is collect them all and keep them updated.