1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the best dvd speed to use?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by oakley36, Sep 30, 2004.

1. oakley36

oakley36 Member

What is the best choice of dvd burning speed for quality? My burner can burn @ 8x however I've been using 4x with no problems. Can I use 8x media without giving up quality?

2. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

The majority opinion on Afterdawn is to burn at a slower speed to guarantee a perfect copy but it all depends on your equipment and the quality of the media you are using.
    I burn all my movies at 8xspeed with my Pioneer 107 with hacked firmware.
    I only use Ritek discs (Datawrite yellow 4xspeed discs) and I never get any coasters and they will play in any dvd player.

3. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hello everyone,

Here's my story and my 2 cents worth.

I use DVD Shrink v3.2.0.15 to create my ISO files.
    I then burn them with Nero 6.

I have the LG-4040B (Max 4x Burner).
    My history is if I burn at 4x, the movie will freeze, and jump near the end of the movie.

If I burn the SAME movie at 2x, those problems go away.
    (Panasonic, LG and Toshiba DVD Players).

So I say yes, speed does matter.
    Some other people in here was able to burn at 8x without problems, and there DVD-+R worked fine.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Go to jail, do not collect $200.00[/small]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  4. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

I'm with you oakley-
    8x burner
    8x media
    burn at 4x
    So far so good; haven't had to burn anything @ 2x yet.
    L8R

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

agent-k and I have identical burner set-ups and pretty much the same results with Ritek... Perfection at 4X.

I've got one of those Sony Double layer burners in my "big" PC. The 107 is in my Vaio. The cool thing about running a 107 at 8X is the noise it makes. Sounds like your really accomplishing something.

I can get away with 8X if I use Ritek and on occasion it will have some "frozen moments" usually in the best part of the movie... and you just wait that second or two... to see if your player is gonna lock up. Then it takes off and all is OK! Until it does it again. Does that count as a coaster?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    dual Xeon 3.06, 2 WD 76Gb Raptors, raid 0, Maxtor 250, 2Gb RAM, 2 monitors, GSXR1000, 88 Mazda truck
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Even though my writer (Ricoh MP5240A) is a 4X, I never write faster than 2X ... My discs seem to be very compatible with all of the players in our home and in all of our friends players ...

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

4X here. No playback issues or compatibility problems at that speed :)

8. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I've only burned one DVD using 8X, and it was sucessful, however, I'm planning to stick with 4X only. Let me explain.

After burning a DVD I always "Put It Under the Light." What this means is I look at the burned surface under a strong florescent table lamp in a darkened room. Rotating the disk at an angle, you can see any DVD media imperfections - usually uneven darker colored streaks or blotches. At these points, the DVD playback may skip, pixellate, or even crash (a coaster!).

Back to burning at 8X (using Decrypter, BTC 8X burner). I noticed, under the light, this 8X disk had 3 distinct color bands - obviously the burner started at 4X, went to 6X and ended up at 8X. And during playback, it was at these very speed change points that I had momentary hesitation (like a layer break) and some pixellation.

I don't know if all burners do the ramp up from 4X to 8X or not, but I'm sticking with burning at 4X so I don't get those two unnecessary hesitations.

9. swadewade

swadewade Member

The "speed increase" Grampaw is talking about, is that what they mean by Zone Constant Linear Velocity? And is it normally something that causes "hesitation" and should be avoided? Like I had said in another post, my Sony writes up to 8x, and I use Sony 1-8x media, but any writing done at 8x give me a 50/50 chance of coasters.

10. Nephilim

If you're getting a 50/50 success rate burning at 8X then take some advice from us conservatives - stick to 4X and you'll be fine :)

11. swadewade

swadewade Member

I have been....slowing it down to 4x has solved all of my problems. Why is it that I see some threads where people want to burn at 1x and less.....is it really a better burn?

12. Nephilim

2X to 4X is about as good a burn as you're going to get. I've no idea why some folks want to burn video at 1X. Takes all kinds I guess :)

13. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

I burn only at 4X also. I can't see why some people want a 12 or 16x burner. I guess it might work for data but it is still taking a chance of getting burn errors. If you are burning something important why chance errors to save a few minutes.

Jerry

14. jazzyg

jazzyg Member

I use verbatim media only and burn at 8X with my plextor and have only had 1 coaster in 72 backups...also, all my backups play on my sons ps2 and each dvd player in the house.

15. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

16. swadewade

swadewade Member

That's some mighty fine testing you've done there, agent-k. Wish I had read it earlier, as I just ordered a bunch of silver Taiyo's.....but hey, 4x is no biggie; what's an extra couple of minutes anyways.

17. DocCrane

DocCrane Guest

Currently using Ritek discs (Datawrite yellow 4xspeed discs) and I never get any coasters, I have the pioneer 107D and works well, have burned 1X 2X 4X cant see any significant defenses in play back performance, must be the grade of disc,

I use to use Bulkpaq orange label bloody awful discs, always used to get rings on the discs,