1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best quality, most durable blank media for burnig audio CD's ?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by redbaron7, Sep 20, 2004.

1. redbaron7

redbaron7 Guest

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering what the general consensus is about the Best Brand of Blank Media for burning Audio CD's ?

I've used all kind of CD's in the past. These are some of the various problems I've encountered.

1.) Media Scratches Very easily and skips thereafter (even with the smallest of scratches)

2.) The metal coating on the Cd's wears off (I don't know why this happens)

3.) Some blank media starts skipping even with finger print smudges on them.

Nowadays there are all kinds of brands.. all types of colors and they come in all types of prices..

I'm looking for a blank media.. that is.. DURABLE and will last me for a long time. Money is really not an object.

What sort of effect does the color of the media have if any ?

Please Advice !

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

*thread moved*

3. Nephilim

1) Scratching is endemic of all optical media. The best solution is to be carefyul with them.

2) Another problem endemic of CDR. There's no coating above the reflective layer like DVDs have. There are clear protective stickers available that overcome this and there are some premium brands that claim to have a protective layer but the exact brand escapes me at the moment. I want to say Verbatim DataLifePlus but don't quote me on it. A little searching at media manufacurer's sites might pay off.

3) Any optical media will skip with fingerprints on them. This is another problem that is easily overcome by simply taking care of your discs.

Some good media to look at would be Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim DataLifePlus or Maxell.

Some players may have trouble with the colored but it's just a guess.

The brands I mentioned above will be very durable in the respect that if they're burned slow they'll retain their data for a long time but durability is a two way street - if you take care of your media it will take care of you.

4. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

in my opinion a 20 cent piece of media up against a 3.00 dollar piece of media the 3 dollar ptece only lasts 3 times as long but then it should only cost 60 cents i usually buy cheap media unless i really need to keep the data safe.

5. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Ritek & Taiyo Yuden media is the best I've found. However I recently bought a 100 box of GQ (Fry's) made by Lead Data that burns quite well in my drive.

The Lead Data burns good at 48x & below even though it says 52x on the CDR. Ritek/Taiyo Yuden burns great all the way up to 52x.

I'd stay away from CMC or Gigastorage media as it's really low quality stuff. I can't get either to burn well above 32x & the CMC jumped with audio playback even when I burned the audio CD's at 8 or 12x.

I don't burn audio above 12x anyway regardless of the media I'm using.

6. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

whay u burn at 12x thats pretty poor what brand is ur cd burner .........................................................................

I RETRACT MY PREVIOUS STATMENT ABOUT CHEAP MEDIA BEING BETTER
    well atleast for dvds my friend brought 40 blank dvds and none of them work (they were 28 austaralian cents each though)

7. bratcher

bratcher Active member

"whay u burn at 12x thats pretty poor what brand is ur cd burner"

TDk 52x VeloCD drive. As to the slower audio CD burns I've always read that (with audio) slower is better. Past experience with CMC media is why I also burn audio at 12x. Data? Anywhere from 48 to 52x with Ritek media works well...

Oh & I'll never use CMC media again.

8. EYEShurt

EYEShurt Regular member

bratcher i have never i repeat never hade a problem with any media burning at 48x if the cd says it burns at 48x [bold]NEVER[/bold]

9. Nephilim

Try comparing the C1/C2 error rates between the same media burned at 48X and 12X, you might be surprised :)

10. bratcher

bratcher Active member

You haven't run across CMC or Gigastorage CDR media then, It's very low quality!

I'm surprised your audio CD's haven't skipped with lower quality media. Mine have which is why I now use the higher quality stuff like Ritek or TY. Result? No audio skips & yes I've tested audio burns up to 52x with excellent results. Although I still keep audio burns at 16x or 12x even though I can burn audio higher if I wished to.

Data? 52x with no problems thanks to good media...

11. bratcher

bratcher Active member

"Try comparing the C1/C2 error rates between the same media burned at 48X and 12X, you might be surprised :)"

My point exactly!

Higher quality media has lower C1/C2 errors than the low quality stuff at any speed.