1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best software for converting CD tracks to MP3's?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by derodra, Jan 25, 2004.

1. derodra

derodra Member

I need to know which the best one is in terms of choice of compression techniques and also it would help if the software is free!

Need to grab some tracks off a CD - used to use AudioGrabber - is it still the best?

Thanx

2. xenawise

xenawise Guest

Well, if you are using Windows OS, you can try Windows Media Player 9.0. It can rip into MP3 or WMA and you have a choice of the quality. And, it's free.

3. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Audiograbber is free now :)

For best security agains extraction errors use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) in secure mode.

Guide: http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm

For compression to mp3 use LAME (3.90.3) with some of the recommended settings (see sticky thread in this forum).

Depending on your needs there are other lossy and lossless formats (besides mp3) that are supported by EAC (and many other rippers), e.g. Musepack (mpc), Ogg Vorbis, Monkey's Audio (lossless) ...

4. Comberman

Comberman Guest

I have found MusicMatch Jukebox to be one of the best producers of MP3s. Excellent compression, superb quality and one of the best Music Library facilities going. Best of all you can get it free (I think!!)
    Cheers
    Dave

5. derodra

derodra Member