1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the best way for me to backup my movies?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by XeroLaw, Apr 5, 2007.

1. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

I have the following programs:

DVD Decrypter v3.5.4.0
    FreeDVD v1.0
    ImgBurn v2.3.0.0
    DVD43 v3.9.0.0
    1Click DVD Copy Pro v2.2.3.5

I usually use DVD Decrypter to backup any and all movies that it will, while also removing any protections and prohibitions. Then I found a copy of 1Click DVD Copy Pro from a while back that I had on an external hard drive. I used that when DVD Decrypter wouldn't work. I used it in conjunction with DVD43, and though I could backup the movie it did not remove the protections and prohibitions. Then I found some movies that I couldn't rip with 1Click DVD Copy Pro and tried RipIt4Me, which I found here. RipIt4Me worked fine, but I was confused as to what some of the features are. I didn't read up on it yet though, so I'm not really asking for any help. The only thing I wanted to know is if cleaning up the VOBs with RipIt4Me is the same as using FreeDVD. I Just want to know if I will get good rips if I used 1Click DVD Copy Pro or RipIt4Me and skip the clean VOB and just use FreeDVD to remove the protections and prohibitions.

I just want to know what the best combination is to use. And what does the job better for cleaning protections and prohibitions. Thank you for your time.

Oh, and one other thing. If I use RipIt4Me, when it has the backup files in the VIDEO_TS folder, do I burn that to the DVD as well or can I just delete them?

Thanks in advance,
    Xero.

2. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

Hi XeroLaw
    You best option would be RiIt4Me over 1Click and FreeDVD.
    Will handle the latest ones right now and does a better job.

I would recommend uninstalling DVD43 - hasn't been updated in awhile to handle the newer stuff plus has been known to cause conflicts w/ Decrypter.

After you burn the files from RipIt4Me you can delete them if you don't need them any more.

Here's a guide for RipIt4Me that may help - link

3. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

Hi Binkie! First off, thank you.

Well, while searching around it seems that RipIt4Me is gone too. I some how stumbled upon a post started here about it. BTW, how so does it do the job better? Also, I have no conflicts with DVD43 and DVD Decrypter or any other program. I just exit DVD43 if I use DVD Decrypter or RipIt4ME and everything is 100% fine. As for the files left behind from RipIt4Me, I'll show you what I'm talking about. And thanks for the link to the guide.

Image Links, quick FYI LGTP = Let's Go To Prison (as in the movie).
    RipIt4Me Preferences (The settings have been this way since it's been installed. I haven't read the guide yet because I haven't had time to really even get on here.)

LGTP VIDEO_TS Folder This is the original VIDEO_TS folder than the movie was ripped to.

LGTP VOBCleanBackup This is the VOB Clean Backup folder that RipIt4Me created. This is what I wanted to know if I could or needed to delete before burning my movies. There are more files in the VOB Clean Backup folder than there are in the VIDEO_TS folder. I just want the closest thing to an exact copy, but with out all the prohibitions. Like watching the 30 second long FBI warning, I know it rather well... Like nearly word for word.

These next six links are the RipIt4Me Log File directories. The only thing is I don't know what the second set of folders was created for. You'll see what I mean if you look at the first picture even. Just as an FYI I can provide any of the logs if need be. I just would like to know what the FinalIFOs and the OriginalIFOs folders are for. Do I even need them anymore, or may I delete them to gain some space on the hard drive?

Picture Links:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6.

Yes, I know it's a pain to click links, but I used to be a dial-up user and I know how much it sucks when someone loads a page with images. All of my images are .png files and are all fairly small in size, however they were screen shots @ 1152x864.

Thanks much in advance. I have like 20 some or 30 some DVDs I need to backup ASAP. I don't want anymore ruined by improper handling by others and/or by kids, so The sooner I know the best way, the better off I am.

Also, all I was really asking before is if it is the same thing when I use just DVD Decrypter and it removes prohibitions, or when I use FreeDVD to remove them, or when I use RipIt4Me to clean the VOBs. As far as I'm aware DVD Decrypter doing it doesn't really change much with the DVD, I've used it a bit before and never had any problems after burning. I've never used FreeDVD, as of yet, and burned the files to disc and tested it. I am going to find out how well it works when I pop a DVD in tomorrow. BTW, 1Click DVD Copy Pro has only had problems with some disc, not all and they usually go away if I restart my computer and try again. Also it rips the disc quick than most programs I've used, like in 20~25 mins avg. The newer DVDs take a little longer, but not much. And just curious, but how can DVD Decrypter, when ran through RipIt4Me, handle new DVDs when the program alone cannot? If the answer is in the guide that you linked to don't even bother answering it, as I will read that soon enough.

4. XeroLaw

XeroLaw Member

Oh, and just a quick note. If you use FireFox you can use Cooliris Preview. It's a bit quicker/easier than clicking on a link to open a new window/tab and then closing it. All you have to do it put the cursor over the link and then over the little blue square that pops up. It just makes a pop up window. It only stays if you lock it, otherwise as soon as you click back on the actual page or if you move your cursor off of it it will automatically close. If you have it locked all you have to do is click the red X at the top... Just a though. I like it a bit for photos and misc. links.

5. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

One thing that RipIt4Me does better is use FixVTS to remove the bad sectors and blank useless cells. So this would give you a cleaner file. When it does that it needs to then correct the pointers and re create the dvd structure.
    This would be the reason you have a 2nd folder for final ifo's. It contains the ifo's after all the cleanup has been done. The ifo files are the information files that tell the player how to play the dvd.
    That's about as technical I can get :)

RipIt4Me also creates a PSL file for the newer copy protection which give Decrypter the kick it needs to handle them.

I think the guide may also clear up some of your questions. Shows you the steps RipIt4Me does.

Once your done burning delete the files. Cause you'll have the ones from decrypter & shrink on the hard drive easting up space.

RipIt4Me may no longer be around but it's not obsolete - still handles anything out there. And probably will for awhile.

I've never used FreeDVD so can't comment on that one.

For the FBI warning - to get rid of that you would need to use something like vobblanker to blank it out. You could add this piece after Decrypter has ripped the files. It will also remove the crap cells and sectors like FixVTS but also has the option to blank unwanted parts. Then you could open in Shrink.
    I use AnyDVD and CloneDVD - AnyDVD has an option to remove annoying trailers and adverts. If it doesn't catch it - in Clone I'll see the FBI warning and uncheck it. Works about 90% of the time.
    That combo is probably the easiest and fastest out there. Well also handle anything. Plus I also like how I can set AnyDVD to show the media info - that way I see what copy protection is used on the dvd.
    Not free but has a 21 trial period.

I hope this was what you are looking for or helps.

edit to add: oops forgot a link to a guide for vobblanker - link

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007
  6. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Speaking of VobBlanker, there is now VobBlanker_2130 beta10 for those who are interested.
    Added: Split feature in MENUs. Up to 32 split points.
    Added: "Cut inside" splitting the cell in two parts in MENUs domain.
    Added: Check PTSs discontinuities when extending cells (replacing cells/titles).
    Improvement: Double click on a cell row in cell list now goes to split/still/replace or preview/cut dialogs, depending on action
    Improvement: Message "Filename has to be *_1.VOB" removed if filesize < 1000MB
    Change: Return to file save dialog in case of error (extracting cells)
    Change: "Save project as" opens the file save dialog with the current project filename (if exists) instead of the default filename
    BugFix: Delete all title VOB files in output folder before processing the titles domain of a titleset
    http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/betas/