1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the best, yet most reasonable priced dvd writer to get...

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by blakteerz, Nov 15, 2002.

1. blakteerz

blakteerz Guest

Hey, i'm a newbie case you haven't noticed..and there are just soooo many drives out there, i don't know where to start. I'm looking for something that is readily compatible with dvd-r media, but can also burn dvd-rw. I would also like to know if there are any drives available that can burn MULTIPLE layer dvds as well as single layer. meaning is there any drive that can do this, and even if there aren't any multiple level discs on the market yet, can it still do it..and of course pls do consider prices when responding...thanks for ANY help you can offer...

2. EHamel

EHamel Guest

I have a SONY DRU120A DVD+R/+RW CD-R/RW writer installed on my pc and it works GREAT I see them on sale now for about 300.00 you might want to take a look at them. Tiger direct.com
    ED

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I bought a Pioneer DVR-104 from Office Max for $200 before a $30 rebate. It's sold as a CenDyne drive. They have been dropping the price of this drive for the last few months, putting it on sale often.

I have only been backing up my DVD's for 3 weeks now, but I have had no problems at all with this drive. It writes at 2.1X (according to DVD Decryptor).

4. ld324

ld324 Guest

Been using the same drive sold by Cendyne. You might even get lucky and get one of the new AO5's in the box. I have read several posts that said they bought what was thought to be the 2x model dvr 104 and it ended up being the 4x 105

5. plonk420

plonk420 Member

are you sure the Cendynes are A04s? i read around on review sites and saw the A03 or dvr-103 mentioned in the Cendyne reviews...

Last edited: Dec 22, 2002
  6. vurbal

DVD Decryptor says it's a DVR-104 and as I mentioned, it reaches 2.1X Write speed. The box also had a sticker on it that said it was a Pioneer DVR-104.

7. BurnChamp

BurnChamp Guest

Office max didn't carry AO4, do u know anywhere else for $200?

8. ld324

ld324 Guest

Office Max does carry this drive. The Cendyne model number isn't dvr 104. Thats the Pioneer #. What we are saying is these drives are repackaged by Cendyne. They are Pioneer drives. The Pioneer model # is dvr-104. The very first Cendyne's might have been 103's, but I would think by now most of them are off the shelf. CenDyne's model # for the dvr104 is Cendyne CDI CD 00106. They are listing there new 4x drive (which is the Pioneer a05) as CDI CD 00209.

9. BurnChamp

BurnChamp Guest

I called the store and they said they do not carry it.

10. ld324

ld324 Guest

Well I bought mine there about 2 weeks ago so I know they have carried them recently, and they still have the CenDyne brands of cd roms in there sale ad this week. I belive someone else posted that Staples carries the CenDyne brand too so you might check there.

11. BurnChamp

BurnChamp Guest

on the staples website they didn't have it either. How much was it?

12. ld324

ld324 Guest

Bought one the day after thanksgiving for $170 after rebates. Bought another for $199 after rebates about two weeks ago. You can look on Pricewatch.com , I have seen the pioneer 104 around $200 to $230 since the 105(A05) came out.

13. BurnChamp

BurnChamp Guest

Did you buy them from that website? Why do you have two? Also, does anyone recogmend the pioneer A04? In order to see if a movie is compatible with the dvd player, it doesn't matter which burner, just the discs right?

14. vurbal

For anyone who is still interested, I was in Office Max today and they have the Cendyne DVR-104 back in stock. It isn't on sale anymore so the price is $299.99, but if you buy it by January 25 it has a $70 mail in rebate. It's also listed on their website again.