1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's the deal with .cue and nero?

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by ddmark, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ddmark

ddmark Member

Hi, I have a FLAC file of a CD that I want to convert to a lower quality, preferably ".m4a", then split into tracks with the matching .cue file I have, and all without using a real CD.

My error is this:
    "An error occurred while loading the cue sheet file 'D:\filepath\
    file.cue' (line 7)."

Line 7 looks like this:
    FILE "D:\filepath\file.wav" WAVE

Although I want it to be an iTunes file, i gave in and converted it to wave. So the file is now in .WAV.

So why, Nero, why won't you convert? And also, if I ever make it past this stage, how do I split the file into tracks without an actual CD, so I can just keep it on the PC?

Also, in the future, if I put my CDs in FLAC, can I get them into a reasonable format for iTunes again, without any other programs and CDs?

Sorry for all the questions, but I've spent at least six hours finding the answers myself, to no avail.

Thanks for the help,
    Dan

2. ddmark

ddmark Member

sorry, could someone please help me out with this?

3. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Lets ask some questions first. What flavor of Nero are you using? Do you have a FLAC codec for Nero? Where in Nero did you experience the error? Can you upload a Nero error and/or history log?

First off, I don't think Nero works with cue files, at least I wasn't able to get my Nero to load one. By my Nero, I mean I have Nero Express version 6. If you have Nero 7, I don't know if all of this applies or if there are additional options in making audio cds, I don't have 7 installed. I have it, but removed it and went back to 6.

OK, here goes. In Nero, an audio CD is a composed of audio files with the .cda extension. If you have and use Nero Smartstart and hover over the Make Audio CD button, a bubble opens with the blurb of "create a regular audio CD playable in all CD players and your PC". Not all CD players play iTunes, .m4a files or even .mp3 files. If you have a codec installed compatable with Nero, Nero would allow you to select the FLAC file and do the conversion to the .cda extension. You can even split the FLAC file within Nero into the various tracks and they would be burned as individual tracks. Again, in the make Audio CD, Nero only converts INTO the .cda file.

You can split audio files within Nero's make Audio CD. Once you add tracks to to project, you can select one an the click on Properties. Here you have tabs for Track Properties, Indexes, Limits, Split, and Filters. Under Indexes, Limits & Split, Nero will play your selection allowing you to select where to set splits. Under Filters you can apply various filters to clean up or alter your audio track.

Since you want to convert your FLAC file to a .m4a file, you are making a data CD. Nero doesn't do arbitrary file conversions(at least Nero 6). It's main purpose is to compile and burn CDs and DVDs.

To convert between different audio formats I use DBpowerAMP Music Converter.

Hopefully this is a start for you.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  4. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

If you have a virtual CD, i.e. ISO image file, it can be mounted with Daemon Tools (free), Alcohol120%, Nero ImageDrive, or Slysoft's VirtualCloneDrive (free).

I don't do this but will this do what you want?

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/08/14/how-to-convert-flac-files-to-mp3-using-windows/
    http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/freeware/convert/flac-to-mp3
    http://www.download3k.com/MP3-Audio-Video/Utilities-Plug-Ins/Download-FLAC-Ripper.html

Here's a google link to splitters:

http://www.google.com/search?q=spli...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

As to the error is D: the correct device for the data path? If not you'll have to change the CUE file path to the correct one.

You might have better luck in one of the audio forums where people do this stuff.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/search/.../www.afterdawn.com/;FORID:11&hl=en&lr=lang_en

Last edited: Jun 9, 2007
  5. ddmark

ddmark Member

sorry, I should have invluded more information. Yes, I am using nero startsmart, and I believe it's the latest version possible, so it should be seven. I downloaded a FLAC plugin for Nero, but the directory it told me to drop it in didn't exist within Nero, strangely.

If Nero is able to break FLAC files up somehow, then that would be fine enough for me, since I already have DBpoweramp to convert them with. I just wish I could break them up without converting directy into a CD. Can Nero Startsmart 7 do that without a real CD in place?

And yes, I put in a second data storage drive that I called D, so D:\iTunes Music\[etc.] is the filepath for that drive, as far as I can tell.

I don't really care about M4a anymore, though it would be nice, because .cda would work well enough for me if iTunes accepts it.

Thanks so much for the help!
    Dan