1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the diference between demuxing or ripping?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by VidiChris, Mar 8, 2005.

1. VidiChris

VidiChris Guest

I have a job coming up where I will need to take VOB files on DVDs and convert them to MPEGs and Real Media files for streaming. What is the difference between demuxing and ripping a file? I found software that will convert a DVD file to an MPEG and I also found software that will demux the VOB file into seperate video, audio and subtitle files. Do these essentially do the same thing? Which should I use?

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Ripping is Just the Act of Transfering the Files on the DVD to your Hard Drive...It is Basicly just Copying Files from the DVD to your PC...

Demuxing is the Act of Seperateing a Video file into seperate Audio and Video Streams....

So "No" these 2 Processes are totally Different from each other...You will Definately have to Rip the DVD to your hard Drive but I do not think you will need to demux and even if you do need to demux you can so a ripping Program to do that while Ripping the DVD to your Hard Drive....

SmartRipper has the Option to Rip the DVD as a single Big .m2v Video File and as seperate AC3 audio files and .SRT Subtitle files.....

Cheers

3. VidiChris

VidiChris Guest

Excellent - Thanks for the help...