1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the diff between + & - drives.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by DVHInc, Oct 25, 2004.

1. DVHInc

DVHInc Guest

Could someone please explain to me what is the difference between a +/- DVD? I have recently bought a Memorex Dual format, double layer, dvd recorder for DVD+ & DVD- recording. I am a virgin when it comes to DVD burners. I do not understand what all the plus and minus signs mean. It also came with Nero software which I upgraded to the 6.3.1.25. Can I rip DVDs using a download of DVD43 in conjuction with nero? Will any of the standalone rippers work with Nero like DVD X ghost? or whatever else there is out there?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the +/- came about as you had 2 groups of manufacturers in which 1 group did dvd- & the 2nd did dvd+ just like what happened with the original 56k modems that had 2 different standards for 56k modems . 1 group of modems couldn't talk to the 2nd group of modems, incompatible so they came out with a new standard which allowed the 2 groups of modems communicate & that is what they are using still today. with the dvds the = couldn't read the - & vice versa so they agreed to standard to make dvd+/-

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

DVhInc, -R burned media is usually more compatible with older stand alone dvd players. Newer Players will usually play both. No difference in size or how they work.
    The most popular way to back up a dvd movie is by using DVD Shrink (Free download). It will rip, decrypt, and compress if necessary, a dvd movie to your HD. It doesn't burn back so it can be set up to auto burn using Nero. DVD Decrypter(Free) will also work as the burn engine with Shrink. Click the software tab at page top to get the downloads and then click the guide tab to learn how to use them.

Jerry

4. DVHInc

DVHInc Guest

Thank you guys I appreciate the info. I am sure I will have more as I prod along. THANKS!

5. cobruh2k

cobruh2k Member