1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Darkhadou, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

To me,apart from the price, it seems that DVD-R is only single session (I don't know what that means, someone please explain) and the DVD+R are multisession.
    My Newbie explanation to this is that DVD-R doesn't let you copy the content on the DVD and DVD+R let's you copy as much as you want.
    I tested this using Imation DVD-R for my PS2 and Movie backups and i wanted to make an extra copy and it wouldn't let me.
    I then used the same brand but DVD+R and it copied with no fuss.
    BTW my dvd burner is a Sony DW-D22A and I used Nero to burn (and try to burn) the images.
    Someone please give me even a half descent explanation, I know it sounds complicated but a lot of thanks for any replies in advance.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Normally, the + and - has very little difference. The stand alones are what are usually going to play them. There are certain standalones that may play the +,- ,
    both or none.

You said the imation + would play and the imation - wouldn't,from what I could understand. It sounds like you are making backups from a backup.

Most brand of media are made by numerous manufactures. Lets take maxell as an example, the - maxell's i used are mxlrg-02,made in japan. The same identically package maxell in the + format, are made by ricohjpn. There is a bit of quality level between both of these manufacturers using the maxell brand name,but nothing major. I tried some + and - teon 8x's. The + were ricohjpn01 while the - were c-magnetics,cmags for short. This is a huge quality difference. If I backed up a movie on the cmags and used nero to rip it,it probably wouldn't work.

You have a quality burner and burning both formats is an asset.

Here's a handy program to have to find out what manufacturer made those blanks:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com

Use this digialfaq web site to get you close to how those blanks rate: http://digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Here are just a few things poor media can do,there are probably many others as well: burn errors,longevity,re ripping those backups to copy again, and most of all: Compatability on standalones-freezing,pixelling,skipping,jumping.

There should be not much of a price difference between high quality and cheap. I can get High quality media for 25 pack for under $10.00. For the amount of time I would save trying to reburn those backups and finding out my errors were from media after checking everything else,well worth it,just my opinion though .

If this didn't answer your question,come on back and be more specific on how you are burning,programs being used, and media codes.

3. Darkhadou

Darkhadou Regular member

Thanks saugmon I know what I wanted to now. BTW I was copying backup's to make more backup's. I'm gonna go try out the Maxell's to check the performance and all.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

They had them on sale at office max if you are here in the usa. Spindle of 25 for $10.00. Also on their web site,but they were out of the - .I can always find great quality media for 40 cents apiece at max.

The better media will copy from other copies better,from what I have learned. I usually make My original backup on mitsubishi verbatim +8x,then copy from that if I need to.

Later