1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

whats the difference

Discussion in 'PS2' started by joephr, Feb 6, 2003.

1. joephr

joephr Member

whats the difference between magic 3.0 and magic 3.1?

2. lady

lady Member

from the way I understand it the Magic 3 came out and they just replaced it with Magic3.1 And this was because the Magic1 chip keeps sending the signal to the PS2 which for whatever reason can create problems in some games. The new Magic3.1 stops sending the signal after a few seconds. I have the Magic3.0 which I have yet to get to work :(

3. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

The magic 3 had an overheating problem sometimes but the magic 3.1 does not! thats one of the main differences!

4. lady

lady Member

does it really have some overheating problems?? should I put a layer of something between my 3.0chip and PS2 board???? Will the overheating hurt the PS2 or will it just eventually burn out and become useless??? I would really like to know?? thanks for warning me!

5. jr_

jr_ Guest

The 3.0 heat issue:
    I don't think it overheats enough to cause damage to itself.
    I think the heat tends to exaerbate some of the other problems the 3.0 has.
    Several people say that using a thermal pad or thermal compond stopped their freeze problems, other say it did not help.
    It will definitly make the chip run cooler and that's always a good thing, but it may or may not fix the freeze problems.

lady what you want to do is transfer the heat from the chip to the plate above it with a thermal pad or thermal compond on the plastic part of the chip.