1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the easiest way to rip my DVD collection to my hard drive?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by texascc, Sep 4, 2007.

1. texascc

texascc Member

I want to put my 300+ movies onto my computer. I have one external drive now and know I'll need more later. I want to be able to have my movies on my home computer and then hook the computer to my TV. What is the simplest way to do this and what programs do you use to rip them and then watch them? Thanks.

2. Suba

Suba Regular member

I assume you are talking about 300+DVD. If that is the case, there are few free progs like DVDShrink or DVDDecripter. They are old and not updated so some DVD may not rip. There is "Any DVD" from Slysoft which is updated and works.
    It looks like for your collection you will need 1500-2000GB of space unless you convert them to DivX (Mpeg4).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  3. texascc

texascc Member

Thanks for the response. How exactly do I rip them(what file type, do I do just the movie, how do I view them later?). Sorry for all of the questions but I'm not very tech savvy. I have Any DVD 6.0.7.0 and and Shrink 3.1 along with Clone DVD. I know how to copy them disc to disc but what steps and file types do I use to store and view them on my hard drive? I've tried using Shrink but I get an error about an hour into it. Thanks.

4. Suba

Suba Regular member

If you have Any DVD running, you do not have to use Shrink.
    Once DVD is in the drive Any DVD will take care of protection so all you have to do use Explorer to copy files from DVD drive to your hard drive. You can put each in any folder you like, like make folder with name of the movie.
    Right Click on drive and than click "Open" not play. You will see two folders Audio and Video_TS, copy those to your folder on your HD that is all. Than you can play them with any software player you have by just pointing to that folder.
    Shrink is used only if you want to make file smaller with removing languages and some parts like advertising.

5. iphonexu

iphonexu Guest

*spam removed*

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2007
  6. texascc

texascc Member

Wow! Thanks for the help. I'm about to try the Windows Explorer method right now. Thanks again.

7. rseng

rseng Member

8. rseng

rseng Member

9. bulldogz

bulldogz Guest

Use this program to rip your DVD's.It's the only free one around to rip your DVD's to avi,mpeg etc.