1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the main Difference + or - What's better for Standalone Players?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Manu_DVD, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

I must admit that I know much more on the Ripping and Decoding side than actual media. I have never owned a DVD Burner before so always backed up to my 160GB HD. So I have 8 Movies waiting that will each fit nicely on to 4.7GB media. I have ordered and awaiting a LG 12x DVD DL Dual Layer Brenner GSA 4120B - This chappy will burn about everything and is currently one of the best drives on the market...

That Aside I thought I would ask what Media works best on Standalone DVD players (Mine is region free), what's the main difference and where can I find additional information about the pro's or cons of + versus -.

Thx

2. 2005

2005 Regular member

the only real difference is that + 'rs have some companys backing them and -'rs have some backing them.... like two sides in a war. some players will only read -r's or +'rs or some will take both.. some burners will only burn +'rs or -'rs or again maybe both. Same for the RW versions of the two formats.

3. svt54

svt54 Guest

Just a side note. There are 2 generals in that war. Sony is the general of the +r, and Pioneer leads the -r. If you can burn either kind, but own one of these as your home player, you may consider following them. I personally use +R and they play fine on sony dvd players, PS2's, JVCs, Phillips, and I believe in Harmon Kardons as well. Players I know won't play +R for sure are only cheaper ones. Apex, and Oriotron.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

5. Nephilim

6. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

Hi everyone!

Thank you for some great Information! I am reviewing and checking out all links! :)

Thanks Again!

7. 2005

2005 Regular member

No prob there bud, you will find between all of the members here theres is a great deal of info... enjoy!!

8. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

I've been using Memorex DVD+R for my unmodded PS2 (version 10) and standalone Goldstar (bought 4 years ago, didn't think it was DVD+r compatible). I weary to try other media types. What do you think?

9. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

I have bought a packet of cheap Octron DVD-R (Only 3.99Euro) for 5 and they work great on my PC and home DVD player.

I have tried two brands of DVD+R and none gets reconised on the home DVD player and some don't play on my regular PC DVD Drive - Why?

My Burner is new (LG GSA-4120B Muti Drive) this Burner Burns both DVD Types.

10. Nephilim

11. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

Hey I started this thread and now seem to have fixed the problems I was having!

I bought 5 dvd-r and 5 dvd+r for 7.99 euro. after a firmware update for my drive and a firmware update for my Cyberhome CH-402 Home player, all is working great with both DVD- and DVD+! Cheap media was not to blame it seems.

Thanks for all the support :)

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Dvd+r media is the way to go if you have access to a bitsetting tool and you can change the format to dvd-rom. These will play in almost any dvd player.

13. Newfee

Newfee Regular member

So stick with DVD-R...this makes things alot simpler for compatibility?

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Stay with whatever you have the best luck with.

15. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

Hey thanks everybody for your Help!

I would like to ask Mort81 where I can find more info about bitsetting. Can it only be enabled via firmware? I believe that the new firmware (A04) for my drive LG GSA 4120B would enable this function apparantly not.

Anyway when I take a burned DVD-R disc the 'disc info' function of Nero reports that the disc is a DVD ROM (like I mentioned earlier the discs played faultlessly on all my equipment and with cheap media)
    On insertion of the + recordable the disc reports the book type as DVD+R. Ideally I would like all burned Discs to report as DVD-ROM Once Burned because the dvd+r's had some problems playing on my PC DVDROM..

Is it common for DVD-r to be reported as DVD ROM once burned?
    Any info appreciated,
    Thx

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Not all drives are compatable w/ bitsetting. You might look here. http://club.cdfreaks.com/ If you haveing good luck with things like they are I would leave it alone. Ya know if it ain't broke don't fix it. Gl.

17. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

I know that my drive is compatable with bitsetting, LG has not released an offical firmware to enable it but there is some modified that seems to work, I'd however prefer to wait. I'll simply continue using DVD-R for the time being.

THX

18. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Thats probably a good idea. My drive is actually a LDW-451S flashed with modified firmware and omnipatcher making it a LDW-451S @ SOHW-832S. Although I have not had any problems (actually benefitted), Lite-On does not support this, and will not warrant any problems associated with this f/w patch. Gl.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2004