1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the quickest way to backup a DVD?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by alfapaul, Sep 28, 2004.

1. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

With the programs we mostly use on here i.e. DVD Shrink, DVD Decryptor and Nero 6, what is the absolute quickest way to perform a DVD copy when original is DVD9 for example?

Is it DVD Decryptor to decrypt and ISO, Shrink to compress, Decrypor again to write?
    or
    DVD Decryptor to decrypt and ISO, Shrink to compress, Nero to write
    or
    Shrink to decrypt and compress, Decryptor to write
    or
    Shrink to decrypt and compress, Nero to write

Also, does anybody recommend selecting the two options is Shrink ("perform deep analysis" and "compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation")?

Thanks in Advance
    Paul
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Paul L
    Liverpool, UK[/small]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  2. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

anybody? :(

3. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Both of these apps are free so thats great. I used them for a short while, then downloaded Any and Clone DVD. I can rip an entire disc in an average of 16 mins and burn it in an average of 24 mins. But to answer your question no doubt shrink and nero to rip and burn is the quickest.(dependant on your writer) Some newer movies with tougher encryption will require decrypter, shrink and nero though.I would recommend you select: compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation. It will slow it down, but it will be the best quality compression shrink can deliver.

4. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

Cheers pollushon. What speed are you writing at if you don't mind me asking?

5. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Believe it or not thats a 4x burner with 4x media. I use Ritek, good media will allow you to write at max speed without errors.

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

All movies use the same CSS encryption. None are technically tougher than others.

All of the softwares mentioned will do a great job in roughly the same amount of time when using similar quality settings. It's personal preference really.

For movies that require heavy compression I like to use DVD Shrink's Deep Analysis and the Adaptive Error Compensation.

pollushon's endorsement of using Ritek G04 media and a 4X burn speed is a good one :)

7. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Yea I believed encryption could only go so far, and encryption itself hasn't changed. Here in Australia though Sony (AKA columbia tristar), have employed a hidden audio protection. Usual Shrink and Nero produce a silent movie. The reason is the Audio Folder and data is an empty shell, its actually hidden under disguise of what seems like a useless IFO. The whole disc needs to be ripped and nothing moved, than it can be compressed after the ripping process not during it. I have asked other forums of troubles with this in other regions, seems its restricted to Australia,(for now) which is where most protections are developed and written for Sony, Columbia Tristar.

8. colw

colw Active member

pollushon

Think someone is pulling your leg - the Audio folder is always empty. I live in Australia have yet to come across a DVD (including Sony/Tristar) that cannot be encoded and burnt.

Think you may need to re-read some of the guides available and ensure that the audio option is ticked

9. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

Anything can be copied I never said it cant. No-ones pulling my leg. You should do some research into DVD structure. I'll bet your PC shows the Audio as empty, but is it? Newbies can have trouble ripping and burning for the simplest reasons, you might be an old hand for all I know. I'm a newbie to this forum, but not to ripping, compressing, authoring, encoding, PAL/NTSC/SECAM etc etc........I'm not having a go, I'm just here to help.

10. Nephilim

What I don't understand is if the data is hidden how do you know for a fact that it's there? Can you point me in the direction of some links that verify this?

11. Nephilim

12. Nephilim

LOL! This is from a Sony press release trumpeting their new protection called ARccOS:

Yet Sony makes DVD burners and DVD media!

13. Nephilim

Apparently it uses similar methods to PC game protections by using corrupt data. I guess the new versions of DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD bypass it already :)

14. pollushon

pollushon Regular member

@ Nephilim, you are an excellent researcher! I cant tell you how I knew this protection did exsist. But you are the first person to actually research and reply to me about it. It really isnt a major deal when it comes to ripping and burning yet, but it is a foundation of new protections to come. Sony R&D teams have been working on this ARccOS protection for some time now, which with later versions will soon make older ripping software obselete. But as always with new developments, new ways of breaking these protections will continue. Dont worry I promise you'll soon know its structure and how its implemented.

15. Nephilim

To be honest I'm not worried about it this point though it will be interesting to see how quickly and how widespread this will become.

16. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

Nice to know my thread hasn't gone off at a completely different angle :)

Just kidding, thanks for all your replies guys. Anyone with any further opinions of the fastest program combinations to copy a DVD, please continue to reply

Cheers
    Paul

17. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

18. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

Cheers vurbal, but I personally think I've had enough people look at it as well as some useful replies and so that wasn't really a problem for me. I also thought at the time that the original title may have actually encouraged more people to wonder what was inside and be a bit more light-hearted but thanks anyway
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Paul L
    Liverpool, UK[/small]

19. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Well it's actually against the rules not to be more specific, because others who see the thread and want to see the answer, vs those who want to give an answer, are more likely to get some use from it. We don't have a big problem with that particular rule, so I usually just change the thread title and don't worry about it.

20. alfapaul

alfapaul Member

Totally understand. My apologies for not realising

Cheers
    Paul