1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's the quickest way to backup a DVD?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by alfapaul, Sep 28, 2004.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No big deal. As I said, it's not a rule we have a big problem with.

2. brian100

brian100 Guest

DVD2one...fastest...but quality fall's short compared to other apps.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]

Jacques & Martin's Blue & White Army.[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2004
  3. ejonesss

ejonesss Member

does anyone know what movies have the arccos protection?

i strongly prefer american releases because they are region 1 and are ntsc

4. brobear

brobear Guest

Ned Kelly is about the only one I'm familiar with that has the corrupted sector encryption. For some reason it wasn't on all the discs. May have been just a random sampling. They may have even given up on the method to some extent. As soon as they came out with encrypting with corrupted sectors the good decryption programs like AnyDVD upgraded their programs to handle the problem. Seems AnyDVD gets the job done and the other decrypters have to follow suit or get left in the dust.

Now for fast and good DVDs. Use AnyDVD as the decrypter and InterVideo's DVDCopy2 for newer digitally mastered releases. It has a problem with pixelation on older movies copied from film to DVD. For movies less than 4.37GB, not needing encoded, AnyDVD plus Nero Express from the Nero suite. For the older movies on DVD that need encoding, AnyDVD with Recode2 from Nero.

Just be aware that recording on the fly entails having more RAM and a faster CPU; lets just say an overall bigger faster machine than the minimal system pushed by many retailers. Besides the software, the equipment has to be able to go fast.

BTW, fast is not always good, I burn at 4X and consider that about the fastest one needs to go with the current technology of burners and media. Faster and you get into error problems. Some people even go down to 1X when burning games. I even use Rebuilder with CCE to encode large movies, 2 to 3 hrs. I rip the files to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter and following the encoding process, I burn with Nero Express. Slow, but the quality can't be beat.

DVD Shrink without the quality settings and deep analysis starts having quality issues above a 15 to 20% compression load. That is when the quality settings and deep analysis need to be used. Below 15% and the quality difference is negligible, but the time for the transcoding is drastically increased. (About 20% compression load is the level at which I go to using RB/CCE) DVD Shrink is the best freeware, however there are better apps and a bunch that are faster. The AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 combo are another example.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2004
  5. brobear

brobear Guest

Just a note: DVD Shrink is a good app that does its own decrypting and all the user has to do is have another app set to burn (Nero, DVD Decrypter in ISO write mode, or CopyToDVD). Though time consuming, Shrink has the quality settings for heavier compression levels. When in doubt of the decryption, leave AnyDVD running in the background or decrypt with DVD Decrypter. So for the backup enthusiast on a budget, you can't beat free. It's neither the fastest nor best, but it sure is the best for the price and it is better than a bunch of retail items.