1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats wrong with my cd-rom?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by alder343, Dec 13, 2004.

1. alder343

alder343 Member

Desktop Diagnostic Problem 12-12-04

I need help!!!

I have recently upgraded my old desktop.
    Just installed a new motherboard, CPU etc:
    I’m using Win XP-Pro and Windows Office 2000 plus many other programs. Two 40Gb HD, DVD-Rom, CD-Rom and a floppy.
    It will take at lease two pages to detail what I have done so I will not list them here.
    But if any body feels that they can help with the following problem please let me know and I will email all the details.
    Device manager lists all 5 drives and states that they are working properly.

I have went to several websites, MSIcomputer.com, Gigibyte.com, LITEON.com, PCClub.com, talked to my local computer tech. To no avail.
    And other websites searching their respective Q&A sites and have found no answer to my problem

Problem:
    When I load windows and go to “AMBIOS Setup – Standard CMOS Setup screen”;
    It shows that all five (5) drives are recognized.
    Pri-Mstr. 40GB HD. Pri-Slave, DVD drive, Sec-Mstr 40GB HD, Sec-Slave CD-Rom, and a Floppy drive.
    (Changing positions of the drives on the IDE cables makes no difference.)

However when I go to My computer screen the system will not recognize or read either of the non-hard drive drives.
    It will read both of the hard drives, Drives C & D.

LOW & BEHOLD !!!!!
    By chance I loaded two data CD’s into both CD drives prior to loading windows.
    My computer would then read the CD’s with no problem.
    If I changed CD’s while windows was still loaded then my computer would NOT read or recognize that disks were installed.
    Nor will my computer read a Floppy disk. The floppy drive is new.

IF Anybody has had a similar problem or can help please contact me via email and I will be glad to send you all the details.
    alder343@verizon.net

Bob Alderman

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

Where there any problems when you installed Windows?