1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's wrong with my DVD burner! Please Help!

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by sgrub3r, Mar 7, 2005.

1. sgrub3r

sgrub3r Member

Hi to everyone...this is my first post on this great site!

OK, straight down to business.

I have a Lite-On DVDRW SOHW-1213S drive. I've had this drive for approx 4 months.

I have never had a problem reading or writing with this burner, UNTIL recently.

A few weeks ago I tried to play a retail DVD in my PC, but it wouldn't play. Strange I thought, but I put it down to the DVD, not my drive.

I don't think prior to last week I had ever burnt a "dud" DVD or CD with this drive...no problems whatsoever. BUT, that all changed last week. In the space of 24 hours I burnt 15 coasters. I was shocked. 5 were my normal imation dvd's, 5 were TDK and 5 were TEAC. So yes, I tried different brands. The drive spins REALLY fast, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I actually got one of the 15 to work, but the burn I have done, a backup of a heap of stuff, now can't be read.

I thought maybe it was my PC, so I gave the drive to my brother for him to try in his PC. It worked fine. He found it spun really fast too, and took a while to read data, but besides that it seemed fine. I've got the drive back from him today,tried to burn a DVD, and IT DOESN'T WORK! I tried playing a retail DVD in it...DOESN'T WORK. Burning CD's isn't a problem, which to me is strange, but I'm a newbie with all this.

I thought i'd load a dvd into DVD Shrink, and I get the following error:

Can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction with this. Are their programs out there that actually test the correct functionality of a DVD drive? Is my drive stuffed? Is it something to do with my PC? My MOBO? As I said above, i've never had burning problems before, it's like happened overnight and i'm stumped!

Thanks!

2. sgrub3r

sgrub3r Member

By the way, I should add...the 15 "coasters" that I created...they were all DVD's. I haven't had a problem with CD's. I've tried reading retail and burnt DVD's since this started happening, and it won't read!

3. vike

vike Member

Sounds like your drive is ok because it worked in your brother's pc. What software are you using? What burn speed settings are you using? Some drives have their read speeds locked, did you unlock yours so it would read faster? Are your jumper settings correct? Did you recently update your firmware? If so, roll back to original and see if that works. Switch your drive's IDE slot on your mobo. Try another drive on your pc and see if that works.

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Failed to read file "E:\" Data Error, Cyclic Redundancy Test

This is usually because the reader cannot read the disc. It may be damaged or scratched. Factory pressed movies are not guaranteed to be 100% OK

When did you last de-frag/disc clean up/ adawared/spybotted your PC?

5. sgrub3r

sgrub3r Member

Hey Vike...to answer your questions first...

What software...for burning, either Nero or Alcohol. But i also tried reading a DVD with DVD Shrink and it wouldn't read it.

What burn settings am I using...it's a 12x burner. With the imation dvd's, i've always used 4x with no problems. When I went through the 15 dvd coasters, i tried some with 4x and some with 8x, the TEAC dvd's being 8x media.

Don't know anything about unlocking drive speeds...so no i haven't done that.

Jumper settings...nothing has been touched internally from when i was ALWAYS burning DVD's without problem to now, when I can't burn DVDs or read DVD's (be them retail or ones I have burnt previously) BUT I can still burn CDs with no problems. So as far as I know they are correct...

I've never updated the firmware...running XP, when I got the drive in December I installed it and have only ever used it without problems.

I tried switching around the slots, but that did nothing either...

6. sgrub3r

sgrub3r Member

Hey Pulsar

I defrag once a week.
    I run Spybot once a week.
    I do a Norton disk cleanup once a week.

7. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

Sgrub3r:

I have a LiteOn 851S (external) burner (hooked to USB 2.0) and I am having the same type problem you are having except my burner has stopped burning CD's also. I updated the firmware and after I rip a movie to hdd (using decrypter & shrink), and try to burn it, the burner tells me to insert a blank DVD even though I have already inserted one.

My buddy at work has the same burner I do and I gave mine to him to try and it worked like a champ for him. Don't have a clue as to why it won't work for me. My next step is to hook my buddy's burner up to my pc and see what happens. I wish I had bought an internal burner to start with.

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I would highly recommend that you update your firmware.

9. sgrub3r

sgrub3r Member

Pulsar

I updated firmware as recommended, and no difference...still doesn't read or burn DVD's. Same as TSQUARE as well...even if i have a blank dvd in the drive, it doesn't recognise. For a while (when these problems started) it would at least do an actual burn, but when i try to read the burn, it would say it couldn't read my dvd drive. Now it won't even burn anything...at least i can still burn CD's, but that doesn't make sense. Why can it burn CD's and not DVD's? And as i've started previously, not just one make of media either, i've now tried 4 different brands...imation, sony, teac and tdk.

Besides buying a new burner, any other thoughts?

10. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

[...at least I can still burn cd"./] I can't even do this. Tried it again last night with 3 different brands of media and kept getting the same "insert blank cd" message.

11. tsquare43

tsquare43 Regular member

[at least I can still burn cd's./] I can't even do this. Tried it again last night with 3 different brands of media and kept getting the same "insert blank cd" message.

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Have you tried it again in your brothers' PC? It sounds like the drive could be on its'way out. Have you another drive to try, then you may eliminate your PC as the prob? I would try doing a bit of mixing & matching.
    I've got 2 PCs, that includes 3 108s, a Plextor ROM, a sony dru510a (still works a treat!) & a Samsung cd/dvd combo. The permutations for me are almost endless, if one of my 108s goes, I have another 2 to go at!