1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's wrong with my WiiKey

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by metalleaf, Jul 21, 2007.

1. metalleaf

metalleaf Guest

wiikey installed (had triple checked my connections), I am able to play orginal games but can't seem to read setup disk or any backed up games.

games are backed up at 2x with Verbatims and 2x TYGO2 (file size matched orginal)

I bought chip from canadamods, an official reseller of wiikey, but came without any holograms. Had email them and they asure me holograms are in package and it was a genuine wiikey. Some how, I don't believe them.

Please advise

2. boil42

boil42 Guest

same problem here, I am a modder in Western australia and this is my first probllem with a wiikey and Wii.

model number is RVL-001 (AUS)

tried 5 chips and same reusult, play original perfectly but will not read Wiikey Config disk or backup games.

Anyone seen this?

Can provide more details of drive numbers if needed

3. wowdtm

wowdtm Member

I am experiencing same problem. I installed a canadian wiikey on a new Wii purchased in July 2007. It came with hologram, so I'm pretty sure it's authentic. I continuity tested all solderings and verified chip is in place correctly.

I can still play original wii discs, but the setup disc is unable to be read. I've tried generic dvd -r media, I've tried memorex +r media. All discs are written at x4 and have been attempted multiple burns. And therefore obviously all other game backups are unable to load as well.

My next attempt is to purchase some Verbatim discs and try those. Is there any particular +r or -r or otherwise reason to why brand would make a difference? I'll let you know how that goes later today.

Otherwise, it appears the wiikey may not work on the new wii models. Can someone verify?

4. Sontu

Sontu Member

D2C chips maybe? As far as I know no modchips will work with those.

5. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Most Wii systems seem to be better compatible with DVD-R media. I would stay away from DVD+R. Even tho some say they work fine I see more users having issues with DVD+R then having issues using DVD-R.

I would buy some Verbatim/Tayio Yuden/Maxell DVD-R media.

There are 2 possibilities why a Wiikey or any Modchip would not work with a newer Wii system.

You could have a D2B chipset that has the legs cut from the chipset...

If you have 1 of these dhipsets then the original soldering points will not work since they are no longer connected to the chipset due to the legs being cut from it. If you have 1 of these chipsets then you will need to do a little modification to the chipset to solder to the cut legs. Below is a link for further information on how to Mod the chipset.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/517095

--------------------------------------------------------------------

You could have a D2C chipset...

which no Modchip at this time is compatible with the D2C chipset. So at this time there is nothing you can do till a Modchip with D2C chipset support is available.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is an Image to show the cut legs and shows where to check to see what chipset you have...

[​IMG]

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/517095

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  6. wowdtm

wowdtm Member

ok, verbatim -r didn't work either.

I see now several posts leading me to understand the chip differences. I believe I have the new chipset. When I used my continuity tester i got signals on the legs but i didn't test the upper structure of the legs. After I crack the box back open and test again I'm sure I'll see the legs are cut. I do remember them being bent downward.

If so, I'll attempt to fix the legs & see if that works. I'm thinking this will be a very tricky soldering job. Any tips?

Thankyou for posting guys!