1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your avg. copy to copy time?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Synthetix, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

What is your average copy to copy blank dvd (4.7gb to 4.7gb) time? Mine is about 45 min. I've heard people here take about 15min? WOW! How do they do that? Is it because they have there speed to max? I have my speed set at 4x. Thanx

My specs:
    Windows XP
    256 RAM
    HP DVD 640i
    Comp USA DVD ROM
    Media: TYG01 4x

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Synthetix,
    45 total minutes is about right. If you think about it 15 minutes to rip and then Shrink analyzes and encodes for 15-20 minutes ( no enhancements)and then burn 15 minutes that is about right. When I use DVDRebuilder and CCE the times are alot longer but I only use that on long movies like LOTR

3. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Carmike, thanx. But I am not going through the shrink process. What I am doing is making a [bold]backup of a backup[/bold.] So it has already been compressed. So should it still take this long?

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

If you use DVDDecrypter in .iso mode then mine would read the disk (DVD-5) in about 5-7 minutes and burn it in about 15 minutes at 4X. If tou are reading and writing from a DVD burner drive the drive could be locked at 2x to read the disk. This was done by the manuf. I use a DVD-Rom to rip the DVD and it is not locked. If You are using the burner drive to read and write then the times seem about right

5. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

No, i'm am not using DVD Decrypter. Since it is a back up of a backup, I am using nero. I have the backup disk on my DVD Rom, and the blank media on my DVD-R. I'm just duplicating the disk.

I know when the file is an ISO file, dvd decrypter will burn it in about 13 min. But on this one, i'm making a duplicate of a disk to a disk.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

yes dvd decrypter will make a copy of a copy and i get it in 28mins!

14 to get iso 14 to burn iso (infact its probably less than 14 to get image! as already ripped etc..) so may be 20mins?

all you do is iso read then iso write DONE! copy of copy!

thats 4x writing by the way!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You can copy a disc on the fly with nero (you need to check the quick copy box) and most other burning roms. Some encoding/transcoding apps will also do this (Intervidio DVDCopy3 is one).

Most don't recommend burning on the fly due to increase chance of write errors. It is also recommended (if burning on the fly) that you have your dvd-rom or dvdrw (the drive used to read) and your dvdrw (the drive used to write) on seperate IDE channels.

I don't have any problems burning on the fly with nero or DVDCopy3 since my drives are on seperate IDE channels and my hdd's are SATA but I usually write to my hdd anyway. About 20-25 min at 4x. About 12-15 min at 4x on the fly.

8. Synthetix

Synthetix Regular member

Wow, good news, didn't know what ISO READ meant in DVD Decrypter! Thanx ROTARY. Is there somewhere here that describes all the DVD Decrypter's functions? Because I don't believe the help tab has this. Thanx!

9. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Assuming you copied the files from your backup DVD to your hard drive already, burning those files from th hard drive with Nero should take only 7-8 minutes with 8X media, 13-14 minutes with 4X media, and 23 minutes with 2.4X media. However, I normally copy the DVD files from my UNENCRYPTED BACKUP DVDs to hard drive, and when I copy them as data files, it takes from 20-25 minutes! I guess I should rip them as ISO or enable the speed-read on my Plextor, but I don't want to risk copy errors, so it reads at 2.0x instead of 6x-8x.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2005
  11. pulsar

pulsar Active member

My system will rip in 4.7 in about 15mins & burn in about the same. Depends which ROM & PC I use. If I do it on the fly, which I have had a very good success rate (i.e. no coasters yet!), it will take about 15-20mins in total. Depends if I use nero or alcohol. I prefer Alcohol.

12. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

If I use "InterVideo DVD Copy 3" to do a straight copy to copy - it usually takes 15 minutes only, however, sometimes it's much faster like 10-12 mins if I'm backing up with 8X DVD-R media. On the other hand, if I use "1Click DVD Copy 4.1" then it's usually from 20 - 30 minutes (15 mins to read then 15 mins to write). <---- I'm only doing this due to the fact that I hate to wait over 40 - 50 mins long for the drive to read, then ejects, and then write/burn into blank DVD-R using only one dvd rewritable drive. If you have one dvd-rom drive and one dvd rewritable/burner drive, then obviously it's much faster when performing a straight from dvd to dvd.

13. colw

colw Active member

In copy DVD mode with Nero your burn time should be 13 to 15 minutes at 4X.

I acheive this on a PIII - 800 with 256Mb RAM.

14. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

I use Rotary's method and he is right on the money. Works everytime 20 minutes. DMA mode is a must, and remember CPU speed and memory makes a big diffrence. On my old pc this same process took about 35 minutes.

Good Luck

Spacedust

15. cruisin60

cruisin60 Member

I have no problems getting a copy done with Nero in 16 minutes. My pc is a Gatewasy P4 2.2ghz with 512 mgby ram. Using a Sony DRU500AX to burn with Ridata 4x disks. No problems at all even though doing it on the fly. I was hoping to cut that time in half by going to an 8x burner. Doesn't work. Save your money. Tried both the Lite-on 1673 and the Sony DRU 720 and the best I could get using both 8X and 16x disks was 12 minutes. In most cases they were the same as the 4x burns of 16 minutes. Spoke with both companies about this and they say to get the 8x and 16x burns I would have to go to disk first then to the burner. Heck it would take me 10 minutes to go to disk then an additional 8 minutes to go to burner. I brought back both burners and am back to my 500ax getting good burns at 4x (cheaper media also).