1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When converting avi files to dvd, i have been getting disc error for about one out of every 3.....

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by smoothnie, Nov 30, 2007.

1. smoothnie

smoothnie Member

I use 'ConvertXtodvd' and it will go through the whole converting process and complete....but here lately one out of about every 3 it will come up as disc error in the dvd player yet plays fine in the computer with no glitches. I realize some file can be corrupt..but this many? In the past i almost never had a disc error when converting, it seems to be happening more often which is fusterating considering it takes me an hour & a half to 2 hours for each convert. I am puzzled...is it the files or is it in my programming. I have a fairly new 'Vortex' gaming computer which has been re-formatting with plenty of free space, i delete all files after done to keep hard-drive from getting clogged, i disconnect internet to shut down any possible background programs that may interfere. Is there something I am possibly missing here....do i need some sort of tool to fix avi files after download..and if so, what are some good avi repair programs? And I am not familiar with any avi repair tools, looking for something simple if thats what the problem truly is. Thank you for reading and plz give me some advice.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

3. smoothnie

smoothnie Member

yes, i can play it on the computer and it plays perfect, but when playing in my dvd player it reads disc error after converting but that same disc error will also play on computer, so both avi file & the converted disc both play on computer

4. LOCOENG

What brand discs are you using?

5. smoothnie

smoothnie Member

and i apologize for multiple posts, i wasnt sure where to post, fairly new to this site, ty for your patience.

What puzzles me is 'convertXtodvd' has worked great for so long but now i get errors, do you still recommend dvd flick or maybe another repair program?

6. smoothnie

smoothnie Member

Verbatim +R is what i have right now however i normally use -R

7. LOCOENG

DVD Flick isn't a repair program, but does the same thing as ConvertXtoDVD and it will eliminate the program being at fault. Verbatim are excellent discs and the +R flavored ones should be booktyped if your burner is capable of this function to increase compatability among standalone players. It could be that your standalone doesn't like the +R's, but booktyping could remedy this.

8. smoothnie

smoothnie Member

would DVD Flick conflict with ConvertXtodvd if i had both in my computer in any waY? Maybe then i can compare and try the same avi file on both.

9. LOCOENG

I doubt if you'd be able to run them simultaneously as they are very CPU intensive, but as far as having both installed there shouldn't be any conflict...I use both myself.

10. smoothnie

smoothnie Member

I am also wondering if the DivXrepair is actually repairing, it shows the log of a bad frame, but i dont see any activity as far as it trying to repair, it just shows the log & thats it, when i downloaded it, it shows 2 downloads, ths first is excute which i downloaded but there is another directly under it which i didnt download which has a folder with what seems to be a lot of icons and ect, is that needed for it to work properly because i deleted that one and just kept the first one containing the main program

11. LOCOENG

Never used it...if the source avi plays fine there might not be a problem with the file.

12. smoothnie

smoothnie Member

ok thank you very much, i believe i have a better understanding and will try dvd click and use both, just one more thing & i promise not to be a bother again lol.... I have one avi file that freezes at the same spot everytime i convert, any de-freezer program that might help?

13. NexGen76

NexGen76 Regular member

Sound like its your DVD player it don't like DVD+R try to burn it to a DVD-R or like Locoeng said try to booktyped the DVD+R.

Okay you said you have a freeze issue try to burn at 4x speed & also how big is the file? Are you joining two avi files ? or its one single avi ?

14. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

i think your pc copes with 1/2 encodes then third bombs out as ram gets clogged slows pc down then you get buffer underuns etc but some apps will try keep going and burn...

after 2 encodes reboot pc! then try again, you may find it works ok. ;-]