1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When editing out scenes with DVDShrink, get a pause

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by quilt, May 11, 2004.

1. quilt

quilt Member

Hi,
    Tried a new way to edit out a few objectionable scenes from a movie for the kids - thought this way would be a bit quicker then another way youall told me about last week, and not have to make half a dozen extra folders on my HDD.

Trying to back up a 'kid clean' copy of T3, wanted to cut out 4 scenes in the first 15 mins.

So, I dragged Title 1 (Main movie) to left side, used 'Start/End' feature to end movie at a spot - so the first instance run from start of movie until a specific scene, a very short section of film.
    Dragged another instance of Title 1 to left side, started it a bit AFTER first instance Ended, and then cut it just before next scene I wanted cut.
    Did this 2 more times.

Upon playback of burned DVD, there is a few second 2 - 3 second, noticeable pause at the END of each cut scene, then the next short edited few minutes starts fine, and playes until the end of that short edited segment, where the last frame pauses for a few seconds, etc. There is a short several second freeze/pause of each last frame.

I can't see this pause when zipping thru the movie with Deep Analysis or Backup on DVDShrink, ofcourse, because it goes so fast. Haven't yet played my HDD copy on Computer Windows Media Player, so don't know if it pauses on that file.

Otherwise, all is fine. Is there anyway to stop this few second pause at the end of each cut section? It didn't bother the kids, but it bugs me because I like to do things right.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well I started you down this path so I guess I have to figure out whats going on here.
    I assemble lots of clips using this method without pauses so I know the technique works.

One thing I did notice is that you changed the method a bit by dragging and cutting the same title over and over again.
    My method has you backing up each individual cut title to a folder right after you cut them, then assembling them as a compilation by finding each folder. Try it my way and see if the pauses dissapear.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  3. daba

daba Guest

Your editing procedure causes DVD Shrink to create a title for each scene. In DVD language, a title is something like a movie. Thus your final DVD contains several movies. Each movie happens to be the sequel of the previous one, but your player does not care and it pauses briefly between the movies.

Unfortunately there is no way in Shrink to merge titles. DVD2one can do so but it's not free (50 euros). I bet you can achieve the same result with IfoEdit (freeware) but it's not exactly an easy program...

I saw a thread where somebody claimed you just have to rename the VOB files for your player to regard them as a single movie, but I never tried.

Cheers,

Daba

4. quilt

quilt Member

Thanks for your info-
    The pause is only 2 seconds, no big deal, besides I only had to 'clean up' 2 movies so far.

Still real fun playing with DVDShrink.

5. daba

daba Guest

Well, I made a few tests yesterday evening.

You can merge titles with Nero Recode 2 (included in Nero 6). Actually you can re-author your DVD in exactly the same way as with DVD Shrink. Choose "make a new DVD" at startup, open the VIDEO_TS folder where you ripped the DVD, drag-and-drop the same title several times and set the start/end frames for each title. Finally select all titles and click on the button "Merge titles".

I extracted 3 short scenes of the same movie. Nero Recode gave me a wierd DVD. It contained 3 titles but only one VOB file (I didn't even know it was possible). The DVD plays fine in my standalone player. There is a [bold]very[/bold] short pause between the titles (hardly half a second). I can move forward and jump to next chapter through the whole disc, but I can rewind and jump to the previous chapter [bold]only within the current title[/bold]. This is the same behaviour as with Shrink, but the pause is very short.

Notice that Recode can't rip encrypted DVDs. Thus you have to rip them first with DVD Decrypter (free) or Shrink.

So if you don't have Nero 6, you should buy it. It's an interesting package, worth the 60 $. If you are not willing to spend money, try to change your mind :) If really you don't want to buy it, give a try to IfoEdit (freeware).

Imagine you used Shrink to cut 2 scenes out of a movie and you exported to your hard disk. You end up with 3 titles in a VIDEO_TS folder. Imagine you have 2 VOB files for each title. The VIDEO_TS folder should look like this:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO -- first title
    VTS_01_0.BUP
    VTS_01_1.VOB
    VTS_01_2.VOB
    VTS_02_0.IFO -- second title
    VTS_02_0.BUP
    VTS_02_1.VOB
    VTS_02_2.VOB
    VTS_03_0.IFO -- third title
    VTS_03_0.BUP
    VTS_03_1.VOB
    VTS_03_2.VOB

First, delete [bold]all[/bold] the IFO and BUP files. Then rename the VOB files so that you have only VTS_01_x files. Thus:

VTS_02_1.VOB becomes VTS_01_3.VOB
    VTS_02_2.VOB becomes VTS_01_4.VOB
    VTS_03_1.VOB becomes VTS_01_5.VOB
    VTS_03_2.VOB becomes VTS_01_6.VOB

Run IfoEdit, click on the button "Create IFOs", select the file VTS_01_1.VOB and tick the checkbox "Create IFOs in the same folder as source". IfoEdit will create the following files in the VIDEO_TS folder:

VIDEO_TS.IFO
    VIDEO_TS.BUP
    VTS_01_0.IFO
    VTS_01_0.BUP

Finally burn the VIDEO_TS folder.

I did the same test as with Recode. I got a DVD with only one title and [bold]no pause at all[/bold] between the scenes. Yeah! But the success is not complete. I can move forward and jump to the previous/next chapter but my standalone player freezes if I try to rewind :-(

Well, nothing is perfect. It's up to you now.

Cheers,

Daba

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2004
  6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Daba,

I've done the same thing with Recode too. For me its just more convenient to use Shrink and get the decryption done. I think Recode is a more refined product though. You can sure tell both programs were brought along by the same guy.

I am sitting here trying to figure out why your rewind does not function. I wonder if that is specific to your player. Probably not. Are you going to look into it?

now just some random thoughts...

You may not notice a missing scene but if a portion of audio is incorrectly removed you can sure tell. The audio is what I base any clip or scene removal cut point on.
    I may have to remove quite a bit more to make it as seamless as possible.

Well I have a tendency to add things to movies rather than cut things out. I'm sure you noticed that many backups don't fill an entire disc once you remove the menus and extras. Thats how I started adding things into existing DVDs. Its a lot of fun if you have a camcorder.

I can see that you like to get to the bottom of things when it comes to helping folks out. Your desktop probably has quite a few programs on it. (I always like to play out a problem or situation if I can, especially if its a program I don't use very often.) I read your "Recode" post and I can see the effort you put in to it. It may not have been difficult for you to do the experiment, but you did spend a lot of time to do it and post the results. You go out of your way to make this a great forum.

Kudos,
    Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 13, 2004
  7. daba

daba Guest

Hi Fasfrank,

Thanks for the praise !

Indeed I like to experiment. I'm a computer scientist and I like to "have a look" when it comes to computer-related problems.

But actually I'm not interested in investigating the "rewind" matter further. I did those tests for Quilt. Personnaly I never cut scenes out of a movie.

Again thanks for your encouragements :)

Cheers,

Daba