1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When emule is on, i lost a lot of packets and its hard even to browse!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by billie79, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. billie79

    billie79 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2004
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    11
    I wonder if there is anyone who is having the same problem as i am.

    My dsl is a light that we have here in brazil, its 150 D/64 U. Everytime i Turn on the Emule, it gets almost impossible to browse http and to use the net, even messenger and icq lost connection, i do a simple PING to my next hop, i lost a lot of packs, like 35%, and when i close emule, it instantly go back to normal (my browse go fast and downloads up to 16kbps)

    maybe, my isp see that im using 4662 port and sabotage my link? or maybe is my router? i did everything to it, i get High ID all the time, and WHEN i download something i can download it fast...

    Does anyone have a clue of what is happening?
    thanks for reading
     
  2. Mattrage

    Mattrage Regular member

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2003
    Messages:
    201
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    26
    It sounds to me like upstream saturation. That is, you are uploading at or near your capacity. That increases latency. The reason this occurs is because your ACK packets and pings are lower priority than TCP.

    When you download, you download packets of data from the server that are of a predetermined size (Designated as the RWIN, or Receive Window.) After you have downloaded a packet, the server waits on a special packet from you, the ACK (short for acknowledge) packet before sending the next packet of information. The time between your reception of the last packet and the time the server receives your ACK is all latency. Since your upstream is virtually clogged, the ACK packet must wait its turn before leaving your computer, so in effect your latency could quite easily quadruple. This effects your download speed, and in particular the response time when web browsing, as you describe. Pings are another low-priority packet, ICMP, that also have to wait for an open slot in your upstream, so that would also effect your latency to your first hop.

    To address these issues, start by leaving yourself a few kb's of upstream. If you use the wizard and plug in the kilobits, limit the upload to 48 kbits instead of the full 64 or unlimited. If you go by kB's, limit eMule's upload to 5 kB's or so. That should already show you some definite improvement in ping times to your first hop/head end and web browsing. As far as 35% packet loss, that sounds like it may be a magnification of a prexisting problem, some noise in your line somewhere. You should go to your modem's diagnostic page and check your signal levels. It also sounds to me that your RWIN, though o.k. for when eMule is not running, may already be a bit low, and definitely needs to be increased particularly if you run eMule constantly. That way you will receive more data in a pack before an ACK is required of you, and your latency will decrease.

    For information on how to check your signal levels, what the optimal levels and acceptable ranges are, your RWIN (and how to adjust it), head over to dslreports.com. Run the tweak test over there. Then go to the tweak forum, and post the information exactly as it says too, along with a post like the you posted here. There are a lot of knowledgeable people over there that are more than willing to help. If all of that technical crap sounds to complicated, just see if the results are acceptable enough after decreasing your upload as described; but if you really want it optimized, head on over there, they can work wonders for ya! Hope this helps.
     
  3. billie79

    billie79 Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2004
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    11
    I thank you for the help and the quality of your answear, as you said, i was thinking the same about the upload saturation, and i did the test putting upload limited to 1k!! and download to 3k!!! and the problem persist! i get better time response, like average 90ms... but still loosing packets! last test did about 15%, the diagnostic at my router says :

    Local Tx Power: 10.63 dB
    Remote Tx Power: 11.77 dB
    Local Line Atten.: 39.0 dB
    Remote Line Atten.: 7.0 dB
    Local SNR Margin: 33.0 dB
    Remote SNR Margin: 29.0 dB
    Self Test: Passed
    DSL Standard: G.dmt
    Trellis Coding: Enable
    Framing Structure: Framing-3

    and you know what is more strange... when i use WinMX this thing doesnt happen, but if i try to use : DC++, E-mule, E-donkey or Opennet (all uses 4662 port) this happens!!

    I will try to do more stuff here and read the tutorials at the dslreport, technical language is not a problem cause im graduating at computer science and ive been working with network for 5 years (mostly frame-relay for wans), but something says that my isp are sabotaging the use of this port so we can not saturate their backbone with p2p file sharing...

    i want to thanks again for the help, and if i find something, i will share will you all... and hope that i am wrong and find something to fix the problem!

    billie
     

Share This Page