1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When I attempt to burn an avi, it freezes during transcoding

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by mnolsen, Oct 8, 2007.

1. mnolsen

mnolsen Member

This started about a month ago. Before that, I had no problem burning things.

I was using Nero 7, and have tried FinalBurner as well. It always freezes during transcoding now. Sometimes in the first few minutes, sometimes after 20, there is no pattern to it.

When it froze in Nero 7, the entire screen froze sometimes; other times, only the preview and transcoding, but it still counted the total time; still other times, it restarted my pc with a "system has recovered from a serious error message"; and also, sometimes it would come up with a Nero had to close window.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled Nero. I've run boot time Avast (and not gotten any issues) and also Spybot & Adaware. I've defragged all of my harddrives and run disc cleanups. I have also done a system restore, all to no avail.

I do not do any other computer activities while transcoding is going on.

My pc is: Windows XP, AMD Athalon 32oo+, 2.19GHz, 1 GB RAM.

I saved the following from one of the "system has recovered from a fatal error" messages:

Error codes:
    BCCode : 1000007e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 804EC957 BCP3 : F7A46C20
    BCP4 : F7A4691C OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 768_1

Files:
    C:\DOCUME~1\MICHEL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER27b2.dir00\Mini100607-01.dmp
    C:\DOCUME~1\MICHEL~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER27b2.dir00\sysdata.xml

Can anyone please help?

2. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

sounds like a conflict with your programs....... run CCleaner, it's a free registry cleaner that works great, found here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
    make sure you hit the REGISTRY button on the left side and SCAN FOR ISSUES after you RUN CLEANER.

Then do a clean install...... save your serial # then uninstall Nero, then run the cleaning tool: hhttp://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero7-tools-utilities.html
    then run CCleaner, then defrag and reboot! Reinstall Nero 7 again. do not install InCD!

hope this helps..... welcome to afterdawn!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  3. mnolsen

mnolsen Member

Hi again,

I followed the directions to the letter this morning. I'm still not getting through transcoding. I thought it might be a CPU overheating issue (during Nero 7 Ultra transcoding (avi file, 115 min. est. transcoding time), temp. would get up to 130 deg. or so) and the reg. CPU temp. was at 90-105 deg. When I pulled the cooler, it was very hot to the touch on the bottom. I put some thermal compound on the CPU between it & the cooler. The processor (AMD Athalon 3200) after the thermal compound idled at 75-90 deg. While Nero is transcoding, it is 112-124 deg.

Attempt #1 (before thermal compound): Froze at 28 min. (entire screen incl. elapsed time counter, preview & mouse pointer). It didn't restart itself, and upon restarting, there was no windows error message.

Attempt #2 (after thermal compound): Burn failed at 5 min. Nero closed itself and displayed the following error window: "Nerovision.exe - Application Error...The instruction at "0x00530aa4" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

Attempt #3: Froze at 43 min. (entire screen incl. elapsed time counter, preview & mouse pointer). It didn't restart itself, and upon restarting, there was no windows error message.

Attempt #4: Burn failed at 44 min. Nero closed itself and displayed the following error window: "Nerovision.exe - Application Error...The instruction at "0x00530aa4" referenced memory at "0x00000004". The memory could not be "read". Click on OK to terminate the program."

I'm wondering if I need to change the priority or burn speed.

I have an 80 GB harddrive that is running 41% free.

Also, can background processes interfere? On the bottom right of the taskbar by the clock, these were running during the transcoding attempts: Avast On Access Protection, HP Printer, the Windows Update yellow reminder shield, Volume, Creative Volume Control, Logitech mouse & keyboard, Avast Virus Recovery Database, Speedfan (so I could monitor temp), CPU Usage & Task Manager.

There were 43 processes going (according to task manager) while Nero was transcoding. NeroVision took up 98-99% of the CPU with 100% being used overall. Commit chg. was at 510-530/3927. Nerovision's listed memory usage was 228-252k.

In case I need to shut off unnecessary processes, I made a list of all that were running during transcoding:
    taskmgr.exe
    wuauclt.exe
    wuauclt.exe
    svchost.exe
    speedfan.exe
    wmlprvse.exe
    alg.exe
    ashwebsv.exe
    ashmaisy.exe
    calmain.exe
    khalmnpr.exe
    kem.exe
    ctsvccda.exe
    spoolsv.exe
    ashserv.exe
    aswupdsv.exe
    ashdisp.exe
    cthelper.exe
    ctdvddct.exe
    ctsysvol.exe
    reader_sl.exe
    rcman.exe
    svchost.exe
    nmbigmonitor.exe
    ctfmon.exe
    nmindexstore.exe
    hpztsb06.exe
    svchost.exe (4 times here)
    ati2evxx.exe
    lsass.exe
    servius.exe
    winlogon.exe
    csrss.exe
    mspmspsv.exe
    smss.exe
    explorer.exe
    ati2evxx.exe
    svchost.exe
    nerovision.exe
    nerosmartstart.exe
    System
    System Idle Process

If you need any other info, just ask. I really do appreciate the help.

4. racer123

racer123 Member

Hi I get the same problem now & have even replaced the writer if any solutions known it would be great.

5. mnolsen

mnolsen Member

It ended up that I had to replace my motherboard, cpu and ram all within a month. My motherboard died, the cpu kept overheating, and the ram went bad. To be safe, I also put in a few more fans too. Might have been overkill, but the computer is really fast now. After that, I reinstalled Nero and have had no problems since. Sorry it's not a cheaper solution.