1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when i burn disks seem scracthed in the middle please help

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kibba, Sep 14, 2004.

1. kibba

kibba Member

hey everyone.
    i have a ricoh dvd burner and i am currently useing tdk disks. when i burn a disk using x copy the finished porduct in the middle seems scratched. the movie still plays but it stops and starts. please help me as i am just about ready to thow it out the door.. the same thing happens when i use dvd shr and nero, and other types of disks.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Is this all discs that you burn or just one particular movie that's giving you problems?

What speed are you burning at? The faster you burn can increase your chance of errors.

Are you multitasking during any of the backup process. Your computer needs all of its resources to backup videos, so let it do it's thing first.

3. kibba

kibba Member

thanks for your reply.. when i burn a dvd i make sure that the computer is not running any other programs. when i first bought the dvd burner (ricoh dvd+ only) i was using dvd shrink but it was taking up to 2 - 3 hours just to decode the movie the buring time using nero was only 20 mins and the scrating thing started then. i then swapped to dvd x copy which only takes about 35 mins to decode and burn but still the scatching thing. is there a way to slow down the burn speed using dvd x copy or do i need to buy slower disks. i know i can slow it down using nero but it just takes so long. it seems to be the same time in each of the movies, some movies are worse than others...

i hope you can help

thanks heaps

4. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I've never used xcopy so I really can't help with that part. From your burn times it sounds like your burning at about 4X which is the fastest speed to safely burn at in my opinion. So you seem to be ok there.

What other brands of discs have you tried? I've never personally tried TDK but I've read mixed reviews on this site about them. To be honest, the majority of jittery playback problems can be attributed to media.

I'm still perplexed by your encoding times with shrink. Can you give me your system specs?