1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When I Import video, I only get a res of 720x480 or something

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ashmufc, Aug 26, 2004.

1. ashmufc

ashmufc Member

I try with my JVC camcorder, Ps2 but why do I only get such a small res, and when I view it in full screen, it get's blurry. I used Power Producer, Windows Movie Maker and Power Producer. I have a GeForce 5200 with a SVideo and Composite In port. I connect the Camcorder and PS2 via composite port, what program should I use to get better quality. As, if I want to burn the things I import to DVD or something, the quality would be really low right?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

720x480 is the highest resolution allowed for an NTSC DVD. That doesn't mean that the quality will automatically be good (or bad) at that resolution, just that it's not the cause of any quality problems you're having. Unfortunately I'm not any kind of an expert with capturing (I've only used the Sony hardware encoder board that came with my VAIO) so I can't really tell you what program to use, but I can say that the resulution isn't your problem.

3. ashmufc

ashmufc Member

No I mean, I want to import video from PS2, but when I import it, with Windows Movie Maker and some other cyberlink ones, I only get a max res of 720x480 to choose from. And if I view that in full screen it is blurry. Do you guys out there import video from an analog source with this problem. How do I get around it?

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

720+480 is the Highest NTSC Resolution(Non-HD), and even if you Could resize the resolution you will still get Blurry Video...

And you shouldn"t go by what it looks like on your PC monitor because your PC monitor has anywere from 400% to 800% Higher resolution than your TV set so it will allways look a bit blurry when viewed at full screen on your Monitor...

Whatever the Video looks like before makeing it full screen will be closer to what it will look like on your TV set....

Cheers

PS: Power Producer Captures Fairly good Quality but "InterVideo WinDVR 3.0" is one of the best for Mpeg2 Capture...
    You might also try Captureing from your PS2 to your Camcorder (If it is a DV Camcorder and it has Analogue Inputs) and output from the Camcorder to a Firewire Port and Capture to DV AVI...
    This will probably produce better quality than what your Nvidia Gforce 5200 Capture card can capture cuz the Camcorder will convert the signal to Digital DV AVI which is a Higher Quality format than Mpeg2...
    Then you would use a Good Standalone encoder to Encode the Captured DV file to Mpeg2 for DVD...(Tmpgenc, MainConcept Encoder, Canopus Procoder, CinemaCraft Encoder SP/Basic , These are the 4 Best Encoders you can get)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2004
  5. ashmufc

ashmufc Member

Thnx ever so much for clearing that up!

6. ashmufc

ashmufc Member

Thnx ever so much for clearing that up!