1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Ripping CPU temp reaches 68*C

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bigfish69, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

Is this temp ok or even normal, I think its a bit on the high side compared to a temp of 53*C when copying. Idle temps at 52*C.

Ripping with shrink

The exhaust fan on the case feels quite cool.

Pentium 4 prescott with Coolermaster CPU cooler.
    Artic Silver compound.
    Abit IC7 canterwood mobo
    1 80mm intake fan 1 80mm exhaust fan.
    MSI D16 DVD-ROM
    Plextor 708A DVD-W

Abit software for temp readings.

This seamed the correct forum, any views appreciated.

2. colw

colw Active member

Sounds somewhat high - using Sisoft Sandra my temps are:

Mainboard 36 C
    CPU 20 C

3. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

colw,

That seems remarkably low, I presume its not a P4 Prescott 3.0GHz processor that you have.

P4 prescotts are renowned for running HOT and I thought that 68 C was a bit much for DVD ripping

Last edited: Jan 20, 2005
  4. colw

colw Active member

No its not a P4 Prescott 3.0GHz processor.

I'm running a P3 800Hz with 256 RAM - not flash but very stable and reliable.

5. wild77

wild77 Guest

My Prescott 2.8 runs about 50*-52*c when ripping with DVD Decrypter.When encoding with Shrink or Nero Recode it reaches 60*-62*using a stock Intel, fan soon to be changed.These processors do run hot.

6. climbhigh

climbhigh Member

That is WAY too high.

Are you overclocking?

Do you have adequate case ventilation?

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

68ºC is damn hot. Have you experienced any reboots when the temps get that high? I'd definitely upgrade your cooling components because letting your processor hit those temps on a regular basis will shorten it's lifespan. I'd recommend adding extra, more powerful fans (put them on a funbus controller if the noise bothers you) and possibly a different HSF. What model CoolerMaster HSF do you have?

I've a P4 3.06GHz with a Thermaltake POLO 735 HSF which I crank up to full speed when encoding and my proc never breaks 42ºC during the encoding. Hell, I have my BIOS set to beep if the proc hits 60ºC.

8. int3gr4

int3gr4 Member

Yeah, Nephilim is right, you're CPU temp is extremely hot! It's best to keep it below 50' although from what I read those Pentiums run pretty hot but anything above 60' is definately going to lower the life of your CPU. Its hard for me to believe that your system even works at that temp. I have my system set to [bold]shutdown[/bold] if my CPU reaches 60' or above. Have you updated your BIOS? Some mobos often have issues with displaying the wrong temps. I highly recommend not even booting that system up until you find out what is going wrong. I have stock cooling on my overclocked A64 and my temp never even gets into the forties. Did you apply enough thermal compound on your heatsink? Have you double checked that the cpu fan is even coming on? From my experience with CPU's and heatsinks there is always a logical explanation to why a system is overheating so dont panic. Relax and double check everything relating to the heatsink installation. If it still reaches high temperatures with that heatsink installed I would scrap it and put the stock or a better aftermarket one on.

9. Nephilim

10. bardie

bardie Regular member

I run a P4 2.8 GHz and my temp has never gone above 35 degrees C, but I do have 4 intake and 4 outlet fans.

11. int3gr4

int3gr4 Member

Normally, as long as your have at least one intake and exhaust fan adding more isn't going to change the heat of the cpu much. Case fans are good for evenly spreading the heat whereas some components would really heat up if the air was stagnant. I wonder if this guy's cpu is fried now and thats why he hasnt responded...

12. bardie

bardie Regular member

Just for interest sake....before I added extra intake fans and exhaust fans my cpu ran around 45 degrees.
    That was with one intake and one exhaust fan.
    I use the 'SilenX' brand fans which have a low dB rating and they are very quiet, so I will stick with the 4 intake and 4 exhaust fans.

13. wild77

wild77 Guest

14. Nephilim

You know they ship earplugs with those Tornados ;)

15. int3gr4

int3gr4 Member

Sweet sink. I need to get one of those...

16. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

Sorry folks for not replying, and thanks for the advise.

I havn't been on my home PC over the weekend but I will be on tonight and I will try a different temp monitor to doublecheck the cpu temp.

I think its a Coolermaster Aero 4.

Only ever had problems when playing Doom 3 as the temp was reaching over 75ºC, thats when I realised there was something wrong and checked the cpu cooler and used arctic silver compound to see if it made a difference (and it has).

I havn't overclocked anything and the cpu fan (to the best of my knowledge) is working fine. I will check the temp tonight and reply back.

17. Nephilim

Moved to Other PC Hardware.

18. Divinus

Divinus Guest

Nephilim is right... if you hate loud noises and are easily annoyed by then, that tornado is going to set you off.

I have the 80mm version but this damn thing sounds like a small vacuum cleaner.

I do agree with everyone else about the temps being high. I have heard that prescotts run very hot, but not near 70°C hot.

My little A XP has never seen over 50 in it's lifetime.

19. bigfish69

bigfish69 Member

Installed the Motherboard Monitor software and the temps where the same as the supplied Abit software temps peaked at 70C when burning a dvd.

I am going to update my BIOS tonight if I get a chance and then I will try burning another dvd.

20. askyew

askyew Regular member

The IC7 from Abit does read temps higher than other boards due to their implementation of the intel onboard sensor. That being said 68c is hot for an aftermarket cooler. What type of thermal goop did you use? Have you tried removing the heatsink+fan and cleaning with alcohol then applying Artic Silver and reseat it? That pressy can stand 70c but after that you start entering the danger zone and could get into thermal throttling protection. I use a zalman 7000 and it lowered my full load temps from 64c to about 55c on my northwood.