1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are all the DVD+R DL media disks hiding?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by markm, Feb 28, 2005.

1. markm

markm Member

I've had a Maddog DVD+/-R +/-RW +R dual layer drive since Christmas 2003, yet as I look at all the Sunday ads for Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, etc etc each week, they continue to push (market) the Dual layer drives *but* never sell the DL media. I'm even tired of going to these stores and asking "when will you get DL media in". The sales folks always reply with that same look, like if you were talk to a dog. I once heard that Newegg offered them at something like $10/disk. Seems to me either the marketing folks are holding back on the USA market?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Bestbuy has carried [bold]dl verbatims[/bold] for a while now($24.99). CompUsa has [bold]dl verbatims and memorex[/bold]. Fry's has [bold]dl verbatim and fuji's[/bold]. Office depot, and staples also carry [bold]dl verbatim[/bold](they're shipped with an end cap display and verbatim +r 16x discs).

Since these are never on sale, you wont see them in an ad since they average $8 a disc. I have noticed a 16% price drop, though. I hope -R DL gives +R DL discs an incentive to lower prices.

[bold]Can anyone answer this post?[/bold]

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/164391

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 28, 2005
  4. markm

markm Member

Thanks of the quick reply. I'm personally unfamiliar with the Ritek brand, though I see many other forum members use'em. I usually stick to the commercial name brands (memorex, sony, TDK, etc), as they often go on sale and have been more reliable than off-names I've used (like Fry's Electronics awful "Great Quality" brand.)

So I'm wondering, how come the big commercial media names (memorex, sony, TDK, etc) dont make them yet? Same goes with all the electronics stores. You'd think DL media would be flying off the shelves by now. Or is there some marketing reason it is being held back?

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Memorex does make them, unfortunatly. Here, I'll make the ones I mentioned in my other thread bold for you.

6. c56136

c56136 Member

currently at amazon verbatim dl media is selling for $5.99 plus shipping (after $16 rebate). that is the best i have seen anywhere. hope this helps.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I can't find these anywhere on amazon. c56136, why don't you edit your last message and add the link.

8. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

yeah..bestbuy carries the verbatim double layer. but you have to get them quick, because they are been sold out like crazy. its not because stores are not selling them. its because people buy them has soon has they are put out at bestbuy.

9. mickK

mickK Regular member

how is that Maddog burner anyway. I always try to avoid them cause sense the name Maddog related to computer seems to not go together so I don't put any trust in a brand like that.

10. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If these are the ones that I'm thinking of that are sold at CompUsa, even the employees there were talking all kinds of shit on them. I heard a couple customers ask about them and the guys there said that almost every one of those burners they sold were returned. Just stating what I heard, I have never owned one or have known anyone else who has one.

11. c56136

c56136 Member

it must have been gone by the time you checked. for the rebate to be good it has to be from amazon.com and not a third party seller. anyhow it is good till 4/7/05--keep checking the website. they are running the promotion until april. by the way here is one of the $8 rebates--the other one will show up when the dvd's are on amazon again.
    http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002LEMWE.01.RB02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

12. markm

markm Member

I have no complaints with the Maddog burner, and yes I did get it at CompUSA at a low-ball price. I've been burning DVD & CD's without any problems since installing it. Maybe I just got lucky :)

I decided to go with the lesser-named brand drives, as I've had CD-R problems with brand names like HP, Benq. While IMHO I think the burner quality is fairly same across the board, I believe there are quality difference in the media brands, thus I wont skimp on that. Do you all share a similar opinion?

And, thanks to you all for pointing out that DL media is really in existance. I'll be more persistent when I go to the stores now. Honestly, I just haven't seen it on the shelves, unless that has all changed in the last month. Maybe they just havent caught on here in the Sacramento area yet. Too busy watching Arrrrnold.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2005
  13. rocky999

rocky999 Member

From what I've read the dual layer disks are a dog to make. They have not gotten all of the bugs out of making them and have a lot that do not pass quality tests. That's the reason you don't see many on the shelves or on sale. Certainly, they will sell as many as they can and once they are available in quantity, you will see sales just like with regular media.

14. media007

media007 Guest

I found my dual-layer DVD+R 2.4X made by ritek at http://www.blank-cd-cdr.com/ri1.html sounds like a cd media web site, but they actually carry a lot of dvd media, lowest price i found on the web for $5.85 each for 50-pack, but i buy 20-pack most of time at $5.89 each.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  16. markm

markm Member

bbmayo: you must get a better discount than I, as each time I've tried your url link, I get the sale price of $5.99 each. That's $1 more than you're getting, or $50 more for 50. Perhaps if you're doing volume with them, they're giving you a better price?

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Opps!! Sorry them bastard uped there price!! I just bought some of those 2 weeks ago and they were only 4.99$
    Sorry folks :-(

18. Mr.Mike

Mr.Mike Member

FORGET IT

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005