1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where are the new DVDA rock releases!

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by A_Klingon, Oct 12, 2003.

1. A_Klingon

A_Klingon Moderator Staff Member

Just Wondering. [​IMG]

Also, where do you live and what do you have to pay for them at your local retail-store level? (I live in Canada and they are gouging me almost $40 each for them).

2. listen

listen Member

hehe, good on ya Klingy... sacd is not very popular around here... :D

yes there is definitely not enough DVDAs released. think about how many CDs are in a record store that you have absolutely no interest in buying. and then, assuming the same proportion for DVDA releases, that only leaves probably a couple of albums, which might happen to not to be on the shelf anyway.

Yeah a list of prices and countries could be interesting...

In New Zealand:
    in approximate $US (although it changes)

New = $20
    2nd hand = $10

and that's not including discounts or anything.

3. A_Klingon

Second-hand DVDAs for $10 US? -- Hey, I could handle that! But have the discs been out long enough for there to [bold]be[/bold] a second-hand market yet?

At the _one_ store I found in Halifax, they had, maybe, a grand total of about 20 DVDAs. Not much to choose from. For many people, for now at least, it will have to be mail-order or bust. (Cheaper by mail too). I would really liked to have gotten a copy of Carly Simon's "No Secrets". That's a beautiful album.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Most of what I'd like to have can be found on Rhino Records re-releases, (at $17.98 US which is far better than the $40 Canadian I have to pay at the local store for the [bold]same[/bold] album), but the buggers won't sell mail-order to Canadians. (!!)

I had that album once (Carly Simon) on stereo vinyl and Quad four-channel vinyl. (And music CD and audio cassette, and yes, I even think eight-track cartridge. Remember those awful things?)

Hopefully things will pick up and prices will come down, or some intelligent, enterprising young programmer will invent some nifty new 'back-up' software. (Although I think that's a bit far off yet).

Bring On The Discs! -- Klingy --

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Carly who what?? Im presuming its country. Ill check it out and post back whether it really is a good album or whether its time for our Klingon friend to go back to hospital LOL ;-D

5. A_Klingon

Pure Pop. Sweet Pop. Musical Pop. Intelligent Pop. Of all the albums Carly Simon (then-wife of mega-star James Taylor) released, this was her finest moment. And recorded extremely well. Core Hi-Res material. :)

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hey Klingon - Is she the original singer of 'Nobody Does it Better'? (The Spy who loved me)??

I hate to admit, but our Klingon friend has got taste. :-D

7. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Is she also the original for 'killing me soflty'?

8. A_Klingon

Yes - 'Nobody Does It Better', that was Carly. (But no, not 'Killing Me Softly', that was either Roberta Flack or Dionne Warwick).

Carly did 'You're So Vain' and a bunch of other pop-wonders, but the 'No Secret' album contains her most non-commercial (best) songs. Easy-listening poppish - folky-bluesy- just plain sweet album, very-well put together. (And I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers either).

She must have has some effect on me because I'm your basic Rock 'N Roller.

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Hmmm.....I hate crums in the bed - i've kicked my girl out a few time for eating crisps, so i would probably do the same with Carly LOL

Yeah...some of hre stuff sounds good. I listen to tonnes of stuff. Best song ever is Kenny Rogers - The Gambler. You heard it. If not, go and find it - its quality. Listen to the words though :-D

10. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Killing me softly was indeed Roberta Flack.

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Its a good song alright. Did any of you chek out Kenny Rogers?

12. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Got a VERY interesting cover of Ruby - 2 guitars, bass drums & glammed up a bit if u want a copy.

13. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

What is Ruby? It sounds interesting. Is it good?

14. A_Klingon

Ruby, don't take your love to town. An old old oldie. Same as 'The Gambler'. I had the Gambler album when it first came out on vinyl. Pretty much the only decent track on the whole LP :)

15. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Sounds good. The Gambler was the only good song on the Kenny Rogers best off. Well, thats not entirely true, there were other good songs, but they were really just cover songs of other people.

16. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Very good covers album by an unknown London band called "Paddy goes to HolyHead".
    There is some TOP stuff on this. OT I know, but it's a lot of fun. One of the few bands that doesn't take themselves seriously, and are good at what they do.
    Anyone want any of their stuff, drop me a line offlist.

17. mfurj

mfurj Member

Klingy
    SACD is 13.99 at circuit city.com with free shipping. I don't know how it works with Canada though. Maybe time for a road trip. I've been playing DVD-A on my DVD and getting the Dolby cut because I want DVD-A and SACD. Now I just read that Shania's UP has just been released on SACD. I think I'm gonna dust off the plastic and buy the Pioneer Elite DVD. It plays ALL formats including DVD-A and SACD. I've read good reviews,do you have any knowledge of this player? Living just across the border we appreciate the three best things to come out of Canada. Beer,Canadian ballet and Shania Twain. By the way I know who Carly Simon is . Not that I'm that old though. Have a good night

18. A_Klingon

Hi mfurj.

Well, the thing that irks me the most, aside from the retail prices ($39.09 Canadian) for my dvd-a's, is that two formats still exist. Oh, I wouldn't normally care personally, if 101 different formats existed, but the problem is -- the record labels all take one path or another, to the exclusion of everything else, which -- translated -- means you'll have to buy every format going if you want to be able to buy all the artists you like.

You can't buy 'Fleetwood Mac' on SACD, and you can't buy 'Pink Floyd' on DVDA. It's all so [bold]stoopid[/bold]. We all lose - the artists, the collectors, the hardware manufacturers, and yes, the record labels.

Depending on who you listen to and whatever website you happen to be on, you'll discover that this-or-that format will definately be dead about six o'clock tomorrow evening, right after supper.

I'm not going to play their game. Right now there are still too many unanswered questions, neither format is throwing in the towel, the prices are insane, the selection is pitiful, and frankly, until the situation improves, I'm probably going to sit this one out for a while. Ain't nothin' new. We've been doing that for years.

Tell you what *I* want to see: Rental discs (either/both formats) in the stores, just like we now have with DVD-V. Let's wait for the software providers (they know who they are) to [bold]deluge[/bold] us, like they presently do, only with rental Hi-Res titles as well. They can't wait to stuff the shelves with next week's truckload of video trash as it is, so let 'em do the same with Hi-Res.

That act alone would separate the men from the boys, and bring this accursed format war to a grinding halt. Finally.

Let's see which faction has the b---s to do it first. :)

(I predict that SACD is gonna lose, probably right after supper, tomorrow night). :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2003
  19. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

I think the fact that Sony have posted 1st quarter losses of $1 billion, and are announcing a 20000 person layoff (from a total workforce of 160000) speaks volumes.
    Sony are the ONLY major still "behind" SACD, everyone else has committed to DVDA.
    the abortion that is SACD will soon be a bad memory.....

20. A_Klingon

Hi Wilkes! (Do any good 5.1 surround mixes lately?) <--- (Just a joke) Good to 'see' you ! [​IMG]

I wouldn't count Sony out too quickly - the figures you quote may have little of substancial consequence to do with SACD in general. They've weathered many storms in the past, and risen above several in-house format failures. (Mini-disc, an inferior digital system with it's improved yet inadequate ATRAC compression system, failed in North America and much of Europe, yet still flourishes in Asian countries).

Sony, if they (wisely) will graciously accept 'our' way of thinking, could turn out to be one of our closest allies. Certainly, they have a massive music catalogue much admired in the world, and the technical expertise to turn out TOP-Flight DVDA releases. Surely, they, along with the other Major Record Labels are aware of the Gold Mine they are sitting on, if they're _that_ worried about their $Billion 1st-quarter losses.

Direct, 1-to-1 digital copying. That's what it's all about. That's what's got them all sweating bullets. All you have to do to see the fear in action, is to take a look at the back panel of your Hi-Res player, or take a look at the instruction manual. (See the fear below).

And Warner Brothers too, is protective of their releases to a Paranoid degree. (They paste Walmart-like magnetic strips underneath the clear plastic jewel-box cases which their DVDA releases come in) to make sure nobody steals them from the store. And BMG are 'scared' shitless. And _all_ the Majors. And with good reason.

Title-wise, we have [squat] to choose from right now, even after all these years of format existence, because the labels are fully aware that it's just a matter of time before all-in-one 'complete-solution' backup software packages hit the Web. Agreed? 'They' thought CSS was uncrackable.

And one's computer (sound card) doesn't even have to support Hi-Res playback - it (the computer) merely needs to be able to copy data to blank discs, a relatively simple task.

It's gonna happen. We just don't know when.

In the case of the RIAA-umbrella of labels, it's just a question of greed vs. fear of easy at-home duplication. At what point will their GREED override their intensive DRM initiatives?

Just a matter of time! :)

From my Pioneer's instruction Manual, witness the Fear in-action:

[From an FAQ section]:

[bold]Q: My AV receiver is definitely compatible with 96/88.2 kHz Linear PCM audio, but it doesn't seem to work with this player. What's wrong?

A: For digital copy-protection purposes, some 96/88.2 kHz DVD discs only output digital audio _downsampled_ to 48/44.1 kHz. This is not a malfunction.

To fully take advantage of the high sampling rate audio, [you must] connect the analog audio outputs to your amplifier/receiver.

Q: Why can't I hear SACD audio through the digital outputs?

A: SACD audio is only available through the analog outputs. This is not a malfunction. Some DVD-Audio discs too, only output audio through the analog outputs.

Q: Is it better to listen to DVD-Audio discs through the analog outputs?

A: Some DVD-Audio discs do not output _anything_ through the digital outputs, and multichannel discs are downmixed to stereo for the digital output... [[**Restriction Alert! - DRM In Action**]] ...In addition, high sampling rate DVD-Audio discs (higher than 96 kHz) automatically downsample audio output from the digital outputs.

Using the multichannel analog audio outputs for DVD-Audio have none of these limitations.

Q: My DVD-Audio disc starts playing, but then suddenly stops.

A: The disc may have been illegally copied.
    [/bold]

(Well, it's just a matter of time before that little hurdle is overcome too.)

But you knew all this stuff anyway Wilkes. I just throw it out there to anyone who may be contemplating purchasing a new Hi-Res player to let them know what they will be getting.

Not that they shouldn't get a genuine High-Resolution player (they should!). High-Res discs are coming. No question.... they're coming now albeit at a snail's pace. And I'd be fibbing if I didn't mention that I am enjoying this Pioneer player more and more every day! <gg>

WheW! I sure have strayed off-topic again on this one! (So, where [bold]are[/bold] all the new DVDA rock releases anyway?) [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2003