1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can i find a Firmware update for..

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by CHShiznit, Dec 15, 2004.

1. CHShiznit

CHShiznit Member

Im looking to get a firmware update for a sony double-layer burner, model DRU-710A i can not find it anywhere. If some one can find where that it is im going to check and see if that update will fix my problem with backing up my dvd and not being able to burn at 8x, but though reading the boards here it seems there are problems with burning at 8x and it could be also the disc that im using which are Memorex 8x disc. Anyone else use these and have any problems with ripping with dvd shrink and then burning back with nero and it taking longer to burn at 8x then it does at 2x. Any input will be very helpful.

2. steimy

steimy Active member

3. steimy

steimy Active member

4. steimy

steimy Active member

I have a Sony DRU700A and have used Memorex for movies, they will not work for games though. You may want to try Phillips 8x DVD-R disc, they work great with the Sony burner i have. Also you want to burn at the slowest speed possible, like 1X, even though it takes forever you will get the best quality burn.

5. CHShiznit

CHShiznit Member

Ok thanks for the info but will take as much advice on this subject as i can get so keep it comeing

6. CHShiznit

CHShiznit Member

Ok thanks for the info but will take as much advice on this subject as i can get so keep it comeing

7. CHShiznit

CHShiznit Member

Looking for some more people to chime in because i would like to avoid doing a firmware update if i have to.

8. dukhnt

dukhnt Member

I have the Sony DRU-710A as well, and sorry to say I waisted my money on Memorex DVD's. I purchased a 50 pack of -R 8x and out of 30 or so have only had one burn at 8x. I will never waist my money on Memorex again. And I will be sure to check these forums for suggestions before any future purchases. These guys know what they are talking about, and there hasnt ever been a problem or suggestion that hasnt helped me out correctly. Memorex = crap / Forums = Heaven. Throw your remaining Memorex's out the window and read the forums on blank media. The good news is, your sony Drive is great. The update wont help at all with Memorex, and if you choose to update it be sure to read the instructions on DMA disable (what a pain) Good Luck!

9. steimy

steimy Active member

By the way, try other disc before updating the firmware, i may be wrong but from what i was told you only want to do that if you have no other choice.
    And get some Phillips 8X DVD-R discs. they cost a bit more but will save you in the long run because you won't have to throw half of them in the trash due to bad burns. That is if your player can read the -R, My PS2 has no problems with them and i tried a few different types of other discs with little success. Once i bought the Phillips, i have had 100% sucess rate. Then again i am backing up games and not movies, but that should't make a difference because it takes a better disc to back up games than movies anyway.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Here is a good site for firmware but from what I have read on this thread I think the problem is more than likely the blank media as stated.

http://www.rpc1.com.

Jerry

11. CHShiznit

CHShiznit Member

Ok, i have changed media to Sony DVD -R and still im getting very slow burn times. OK how long does it take you to burn at theses speeds please post on it 2x, 4x and 8x, because for 2x im still getting about 35 mins and i just tried burning at 4x on these new disc and still took right at 35 mins on 4x.

12. dukhnt

dukhnt Member

35 Min at 4x is right on, actually its a little on the faster side. As much as I love the brand Sony, I dont think Sony makes their own media, so if you want superior quality and are needing to burn at speeds higher than 4x you might want to consider looking at the other forums for the best suggestions. Good luck!

13. CHShiznit

CHShiznit Member

yeah sony makes dvd -r thats what im useing...cause the memorex that i got sucked and im about out of the compusa brand which out of 50 i had one bad one so far and the sony dvd's that i found were on sale and got a good deal. so can any one else chime in and let me now if my times are on for the speeds im burning.

14. dukhnt

dukhnt Member

I know that you can purchase DVD media with Sony's "name" on the package, but if you identify the dvd you will surely find that sony didnt actually make the dvd. I can assure you that 35 min is right on for making a backup copy of a DVD.

15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You should always update your firmware. Your firmware can be found here http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/firmware.htm
    There is a big misconception about updating firmware out there. The fact is the company updates the firmware for a reason to fix known problems, to read certain media as this changes constantly. There is no harm in updating your firmware as long as you follow the instructions given by the manufacture and use the [bold]Correct[/bold] firmware there will be no problems. Think of it as changing the oil in your car. Just dont use transmission fluid in the engine if you get my drift :)
    You should always update your drivers, firmware, and software on your computer to keep it in top shape so it will perform for you as exspected.

[​IMG]

16. CHShiznit

CHShiznit Member

ok is there anything special i have to do here when i do this firmware up date to make sure it updates correctly? And do i have to make any changes after i do the update?

17. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

It is fairly simple and straight foward. Just click the download link for your model number DRU-710A. Select the submit button. Then Save the file to your hard drive. After it is done downloading (Couple Seconds) Just browse to where you saved it and double click the file it will flash your firmware and you are done. I reccomend you restart your PC after the install. That is all there is to it..

[​IMG]

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

35mins for 4X? Mine burns 4X in 14mins for 4.38gig dvd.

19. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Pulsar,

You are right I'm not sure where thay are getting 35 min from?

2x 30-35 min
    4x 13-18 min
    8x 7-12 min

20. CHShiznit

CHShiznit Member

hmm... i wonder why mine wont run at 4x then i have and 8x burner but no matter what i run it at it always takes arould 30-40 mins so what could i do to fix this i would like to burn at 4x or 8x for certian things.