1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I start?!!!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Nicktard, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

OK so previously I heard about the ability to play burned ps2 games on the playstation 2. So I looked around for ways to mod my system. I really dont want to buy a chip and put it in the system. So I searched for new ways. I found this....

http://www.smashsworld.com/2005/01/easily-mod-your-ps2-in-30-minutes-with.php

So I followed those instructions. Now im wondering what else needs to be done! Do I need to buy:

Swap Magic?
    A Hard Drive?
    A Slide Tool?

IM VERY CONFUSED!

2. chanakber

chanakber Member

That guide is pretty old so there are better and safer ways to play backup disks.

You can make the slide tool at home so, the only thing you will need to buy is the swap magic dvd set. I got my mod-chip installed for $50, I still think it's worth not going through using swapmagic then using the slide tool, to run the disk.

If you still wana use swapmagic then buy your self a set and follow

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/340944

Forgot to mention you don't need to buy a ps2 harddrive.
    Thats the best advice I could give you.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  3. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

Thanks man!

4. simmo2302

simmo2302 Regular member

if u want to read up on all the things u can do with the ps2 download the afterdawn unofficial ps2 guide here:

its about 160pages, and 30 diff guides on things u can do

(scroll down the page and get revision 1 )

5. steimy

steimy Active member

That guide is just a horrible way to do things. People always want to find the cheap way out, there are also guides out there on how you can use a dremel and cut your top and make it into the needed fliptop. But for the $35 or so it will cost you, just buy the Swap Magic and fliptop combo made for your system.

Unless of course you have a slim model, then you need Swap Magic and a set of Magic Keys

Personally i would save money, send your PS2 off to a professional site like Teammodders.com and have them install a good mod chip for you (DMS4 Pro SE, Crystal Chip V2.0 or Matrix Infninty green dot)
    You will spend more money up front but save money and headaches in the long run.
    Swap Magic is ok, and the cheaper way, yes. But it lacks the great features you would get with a good mod chip. For example i will use the DMS4 Pro which is what i have (and i started out with Swap Magic and a fliptop so i can TRULY tell you the good and bad)

1. DMS4 Pro has build in support for running a hard drive with no size limit. With Swap Magic you must buy HD Advance or get an HD Loader exploit, and also you will have a 200GB limit and less game compatibility.
    2. DMS4 Pro will play a DVD9 back up like God Of War 2, GT4 and others. Swap Magic will not. You have to rip it down to DVD5 by removing content.
    3. DMS4 Pro will play games from all regions just fine with no screen cut off or problems. Swap Magic is hit or miss. It will eventually play them but you are bound to have some screen cut off.
    4. DMS4 Pro has a built in cheat device and is compatible with AR Max cheat discs. Swap Magic is something that you can find hundreds of posts here on. Even if you do find a way to play back ups with cheats the process will make you cry.
    5. DMS4 Pro has a built in ELF loader (homebrew programs like SMS media player). Swap Magic you would have to use a memory card exploit.
    6. With DMS4 Pro you have no swapping of discs, and no rebuilding of games. Swap magic you will have to rebuild some ISO's in order to get them to work with Swap Magic.

and i am sure a few other things that i am forgetting. The chouce is yours, i am just trying to give you a little more knowledge before you jump into modding.

6. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

I read somewhere that before I do anything i need to make sure my ps2 even reads burned dvd-r's. I burnt a movie but my ps2 still wont read it. Am I able to still run swap magic and burned games?

I made a slide tool.
    Im ready to buy swap magic if able.

Please help!!

7. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

Buy a Pre-modded ps2 console and sell your unit back to some one else. Sometimes, they even let you trade your old one in for a big discount. Google pre-modded ps2 console and talk to some of the professional who do this. They even modded your ps2 for $35 and the cost of a chip. it's the cheapest and done right!

8. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

I dont feel like going through that long process. I just dont know why my ps2 wont play my burned dvd. its on a -R

9. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

What version of ps2 is it? scph xxxx model number?

Try a dvd +R
    Also, try an original movie title too.

YOur laser could be weakening for ps2 -R. Remember you must use Sony or better quality disc!

10. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

scph 3001.
    v4

I have a burned movie "lucky number slevin" and it wont work.

Im using memorex dvd-r's

11. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

Version 4 is pretty old. The 400B laser is not the best laser in the world either. Besides, Memorex is poorer quality that Sony. I have friends that can't read Memorex, but with Sony it will easy.

So, your ps2 reads original normal games good without problem right? If you have problem with your ps2 not reading disc before at all?

Okay do another test! Will it read ps1 disc easily? If not, will it read ps2 blue disc easily?

That's indication of your ps2 not reading disc 100% good.

(And, you need to drop using Memorex if you have Sony, fujifilm, maxell disc at hand.)

12. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

OK I just got back from wal mart! I got some sony dvd-r and some dvd+r. My ps2 has had some trouble before reading games so i cleaned the laser and it works better now. So now im gonna try to burn a dvd on -r and see if it works!

if not ill try +r

13. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

If you get a red screen when inserting a dvd+r it is reading okay; you just need some modding done. Disc read error is Bad

If your dvd-r is not reading; and you're using a sony brand disc, your laser is not going to read anything when you try to mod it.

Your solution is EBAY: Sell your ps2 and buy another one.

Google and Trade it with some one who mod ps2 console and you'll get discount.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  14. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

One time I used a -r and i got that red screen that said "please insert a playstation or playstation2 format disk" and it was in front of red clouds.

What kind of modding?!

15. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

There are a few numbers of modding you can do to your system.

1. Easy but trouble some: Swap magic

2. Hard and troublesome but cost nothing if you have Codebreaker/armax: Exploits with memory card. You can add hard drive too; but, expensive.

3. Easiest but cost a little bit; Modchip solder onto your ps2

16. steimy

steimy Active member

1. Memorex are horrible media, get something better like Verbatim, Philips, or Taiyo Yuden (8X DVD-R)
    2. A V4 from what i remember will not play +R so do not buy those.
    3. A PS2 should have no problem playing a backed up movie, even an unmodded system will play them just fine.
    4. burn the discs with DVD Decrypter at 4X speed on an 8X DVD-R
    (IMGburn will also work for burning but it can not rip the ISO from an original disc)

If it will read a reatil game then the laser is fine. The most it may need is cleaning and adjusting which you can do yourself.
    http://member.telpacific.com.au/kwetiaw/Ps2_Repair_Guide.pdf

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  17. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

I have a version 4 and it reads dvd+r very fine. Sony, Maxell, and fujifilm all good! God of war 2 too.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007
  18. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

Well i burned a movie on -r and +r and neither of them read. they both get disk error. so i guess im screwed. =\

19. fatfatso

fatfatso Guest

Not really!

1.You have the option to buy a new laser $60.00 from ebay; not for the fainted heart.

2.If your laser can read ps1 disc, you can make an exploit and load from hard drive. You need to load all your game into the hard drive using your computer.

3. Sell them on ebay or trade with a professonal modder. I know places like sell.com and ioffer.com sell this unit for cheap. If you want to know, I will give you a direct link to your personal message.

20. Nicktard

Nicktard Member

i was hoping that i could do all this an easy way. but now that its ended up in new lasers and possible chips. I guess Ill leave my system alone =/