1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where do you start?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ilovek_jh, Feb 14, 2005.

1. ilovek_jh

ilovek_jh Guest

Alright I am "really" new! I have DVD XCopy Platinum. How do I begin to burn a DVD? A friend gave it to me but I don't know where to begin with it. I have never burned a DVD before. Also, is there a better program out there? I want to back up some DVD's but they are probably write-protected maybe. Thanks

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Click on guides up above.

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

XCopy is one of the very few apps that will rip, compress, and burn all with one app.

There is a XCopy forum here at AD and here is a site that deals with X Copy as one of it's major departments. It also has patches for ripping, getting rid of nag screens, etc.

http://cgi.tripod.com/321ripforum/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  4. ilovek_jh

ilovek_jh Guest

okay, i looked under guides and read under "copy full dvd movie using clone dvd). if I download dvd decrypter, can I use the dvd xcopy instead of the clonedvd? Is there a webpage or anything that explaines how to use dvd xcopy? Also, there was an earlie thread that someone posted about the xcopy saying it wasn't working for them anymore. Is there a reason for that? I cannot purchase the CloneDVD right now so I was going to stick with the xcopy if I could. Thanks in advance.

5. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

Read guides for DVDshrink and DVDDecrypter. Xcopy is no longer capable of breaking the newer encryptions without help. Shrink is really easy and I havent had quality issues like I did with Xcopy.

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I just told you that X Copy will rip and burn, so you don't need to use decrypter with it unless you have a movie that X Copy won't rip.

I also gave you a URL for using X Copy.

You could use shrink and decrypter, both are free and can be downloaded here in AD. You need to understand the basics of DVD backup.

There are 4 things you do to backup a DVD. Rip, edit/re-author, compress, burn. This is what each app will do:

1-shrink rips, edits/re-authors, and compresses.

2-decrypter rips and burns,

3-X Copy will rip, edit/re-author, compress, and burn.

Do you see now, you need a combo of shrink and decrypter to do the work. Or X copy by itself unless it can't rip the movie, then use decrypter to rip the movie to your hard drive and use those files in X Copy.

If you would like to try shrink/decrypter combo, here is a simple guide I wrote for the new Shrink 3.2, more in depth guides can be found at AfterDawn and Doom 9, also an interactive guide in the help section of Shrink. I recommend reading the entire guide before starting.

This is a simple, easy to follow, basic Shrink 3.2 guide. You should have a fully functional working backup when done. Before you get started a couple of items of interest:

No.1- Make sure you get good media, this is extremely important! You can get Ritek G04 4x or G05 8x -R or get Ritek Ridata 4x +R here, for under .50 each and w/ free shipping. Make sure they are "branded" and never burn at over 4x!

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-dvd-blank-media.html

No.2- Also, before you get started, Shrink will automatically open nero or Decrypter or Copy to DVD to burn so you don't have to open them, however you do have to choose your burner in Decrypter if you haven't already....

For Decrypter:

Open decrypter, click on mode, drop down to ISO, across to write and then click on it. Then at the bottom choose your burner you want Decrypter to use.

That's it, close Decrypter, you don't have to open Decrypter anymore.

For nero: You will choose your burner in shrink for Nero,

For Copy to DVD: it will be opened automatically by Shrink and ask you to choose your burner when shrink is ready for it to burn your backup.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

OK, here's the shrink guide, follow it to the letter, it's fairly simple:

1-open shrink (see #10)

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below. There is a drop down window on the top right side that has your compression and substitute options.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with Nero. Make sure this is unchecked if you are going to use Decrypter or Copy to Dvd to burn automatically.

7a-Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

7b-You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge. Shrink also handles dual layer burning now, for it I would choose 8100.) I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of Nero, choose ISO image file and burn with decrypter. You can also choose ISO image and burn with Copy to DVD, if you choose this option Copy to DVD will open and ask you to choose your burner.

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality, overall, I tend to agree.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

Good luck :>)

of note: If you wish movie and menu only, click on extras, and substitue still image, then go to backup and follow directions from step 8.