1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is the best place to buy computer parts?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Pop_Smith, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

lol,
    http://www.allstarshop.com/shop/product.asp?dept_id=&pid=9363&sid=405CGD9K9W8G9G4LCE5H3GG6HBBEDSL3
    here it is but, a few things
    1) Its OEM, i need the Retail pack as i need all cables, screws etc. to install it.

2) the price (because all the ATI fans want this card)
    they are asking $800! The retail price is $499.

3)My friend built a computer a few weeks a go and he did MAJOR research on the PCI vs AGP cards and the AGP was better. The only bad thing, the places he bought his stuff (newegg, and zipzoomfly) are sold out and ZipZoom wants $599 for it (which i just might end up paying, just to get the F***ing card.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

My most sincere recommendation would be to forget the X800XT. No card should cost or is worth that kind of money. In two months time I'm laying my money down for an nVidia 6800 GT which costs just under $400 and will give me 90% - 95% of the performance the X800XT will (ask Praetor if you don't believe me).

Save your $200 for beer and lapdances :)

Also, newegg is the way to go. I've built my current and last PC through them along with countless peripherals and have never been disappointed with them.

3. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

$200 would bring a nice processor upgrade :)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  4. Nephilim

Definitely! $200 into the proc will give your system waaaay more benefit. If you're looking at Intel procs, the P4 3.6 Prescott has been looking very good and with the Thermaltake POLO 735 HSF that flip218 linked you heat won't be a problem. I've been running a POLO 735 for a few months now and it does a hellacious cooling job. My P4 3.06 never breaks 45ÂșC during encoding or intensive gaming :)

5. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Does it really matter if the cards are branded ATI/Nvidia or something like Sapphire/PowerColor/Albatron etc? Because this is going to be a gaming machine and so if it will hurt my gaming proformance then i will just get the Nvidia or ATI (real) versions.

6. Nephilim

Actually ATI and nVidia only make the GPU. Personally, I only have experience with Sapphire which made my 9800Pro. Most of the vendor cards are good makes and if you happen to get a bad one from newegg they'll make it right very quickly. I got a bum card from them once and had a replacement in my PC within a week and a half :)

7. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

There is a very similar video card at this site. Ati chip set X800. $449. I buy most of my computer stuff here.
    Its called Xtasy but the specs are about the same.

http://www.tigerdirect.com.

Jerry

8. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

cool, yet another question, if i do get a 6800GT then would i need to get a different mobo?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  9. Nephilim

Nope. The GT will work in any motherboard that sports an AGP 8X slot :)

10. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Sweet, thanks Neph :)

11. Nephilim

Anytime buddy :)

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Pop.. there is one other thing I would look into seeing how you are putting so much money into this system.. Try this Hard drive http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-145-071&depa=1
    It's SATA and you will not believe how much faster the SATA drives run than IDE/ATA drives.. The cool thing is this drive is cheaper than the one you have here... Just a thought

13. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Thanks for that link, the only bad thing (I'm not flaming ya here) is that its OEM, i need it to be retail :( as i need everything with it (cables and such)

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your Mother board will come with the SATA cable this hard drive needs... what else is there..? I usually buy OEM CD/DVD/RW, Hard Drives, and memory OEM because there is really nothing any different except the box. Everything else I go with retail, and here is why CPU usually have longer warrantee, Video Card usually comes with some software, Sound Card same as video, Mobo comes with all cables and extra software. So you see there really is no need to buy a hard drive retail unless you just like the box???

Just a thought, and it could save ya a few dollars to buy some round IDE cables or something like that.. Oh yeah one more thing I don't know why but OEM HD's usually have 3 year warantee & Retail HD's have 1 year.. I don't really know why that is.. hmmm go figure

Also you may want to look at your WD 250GB HD as this is also OEM :) Actually both your drives are OEM??

Last edited: Nov 19, 2004
  15. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Thought you may be interested in this Video card ASUS RADEON X800 PRO Video Card, 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit, DVI/VIVO, 8X AGP, Model "AX800PRO/TVD/256" -RETAIL
    I know it's not ATI but Asus is your MoBo manufacture and I find these cards work the best with ASUS board..
    Just another thought...http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-519&depa=1

Good luck with your New PC!! :)

16. Nephilim

One thing to consider is the X800Pro only has 12 pixel pipelines (very important) compared to the 16 pipelines that the cheaper and better performing 6800GT has :)

17. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

nice point Neph, thanks for bringing that to my attention :)

thanks, I think i am gonna need it (as this is my 1st PC that i am building from scratch.)

18. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

stay way from se,powercolor.
    get pro,xt.

19. Nephilim

And that means what without qualifying your statement?

20. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

9200 se or power color
    9600 se.