1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is Torrentbits.org?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Dwayno, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Dwayno

Dwayno Member

The biggest and baddest torrent site has disappeared, does anyone know what is going on? and ABCtorrents.org as well.

2. bbthumper

bbthumper Guest

.......torrentbits is one of many sites that was closed down this week :(.......

3. 5quare

5quare Member

you're kidding me? why did torrentbits close down? i was never able to sign-up because it was so popular but i still feel at a loss...

4. Dwayno

Dwayno Member

That's terrible. For me this is a great loss. A sad time for P2P networks.
    I hope they come back. Torrentbits was fantastic, I'm really depressed now!!!

:-((((((((((((

5. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

Ok, this is the latest news on torrentbits.org that I have:

from the offical irc chan:

Topic is 'Site is down and will not be up for some time. It has not been raided as many think but rather closed for reasons we dont wanna discuss. Accept it. //Staff || Temp not official forum here http://torrentbits.no-ip.org/ ||'

Also from lurking in the chan, I've learned that RB (Redbeard, the owner/boss/etc of torrentbits) is currently away on holidays proposing to his girlfriend, Kattis (apparently). But is due back today (19th of Dec), so more news to bound to follow very soon.

and from the temp forum:

from Stormlord:

"I am still trying to find out the truth, but what I currently know the site will be down untill the end of the year, when RB gets back home he might start the site back up. I blevie it just personal RL issues and nothing else.

I'll keep you guy's informed"

and more....

"n0name change the topic to that, because at the time thats what we thought, then after I talked to MAX I changed the topic to the site was temp down. MAX didnt know how to restart the site (thoight it was a DDOS attack that brought it down). Later found out RB shut the site down...

I am just trying to clearing up the rumers here."

from Maxthepuppy:

AT LAST!
    I've got a chance to reply to some of these rumours and wild speculation!
    (YES - this is going to be one of the Puppy's long boring posts,
    but if you don't read it all, don't bother replying - NO CRIB NOTES AVAILABLE)

Firstly, I have to say,
    I am extremely dissapointed with the response from some of the members of the TB community.
    Scare-mongering and spreading rumours is not the most helpful thing to do in a situation like this!
    I know everyone is unhappy about it, but don't burn your bridges with insults or by playing the blame game!

Secondly,
    I am extremely delighted with the reponse form some of the members of the TB community.
    Members like DeeJee, and Warlok, who are trying to keep us all together,
    to get the correct information out. There are probably more that I don't know about yet....
    and all those working behind the scenes.... Thanks guys Very Happy

OK lets get down to it.
    A few facts:-
    - I am extremely sad to report, that I have just found out that, TB, as we know it, is DEAD.
    - The full reason why Rb choose to close down is still not yet known
    - Rb was "on holiday" when the site went down, and is in no position to put it back up again,
    or explain anything, until he gets back
    - There was a Ddos attack - After the site went down!

One more fact:-
    Nobody, REPEAT, nobody, except Redbeard knows what Redbeard is planning to do.

Keep watching torrentbits.org for a statement.
    It's the ONLY place to get the full facts

from Helshad:

Posted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:22 pm Post subject:

"Well... here I am... I felt I had to give a little light on what happend to TB... Nothing much... nothing fancy... nothing serious... Just plain oldfashion life...

Most remember wyz leaving right? ... Well.. I do... That was the starting point when I began seriously thinking of stepping back from TB also... It just took me a while to get there...

Being admin on a site like TB takes time... a shitload of time... and I was running low on it... Most had start to notice I was hardly on the forum anymore... very little on irc... and even less on CoD that I love to play...

And finaly I felt it was time to do the only thing left... to announce my departure... That this happend at the same time the busts on edonkey sites started was actually just a fluke... nothing more...

And when I had announced my departure things happend that I didnt expect but feared would happen... another admin felt the same way I did... it was time to leave.... RB left with only one admin left didnt have much choice...

Well... maybe he did.. but I think he felt a bit sad we left and the wind got out of the whole thing... and finaly decided to shut it all down... atleast for now...

I have no idea what will happen tomorrow or the next few weeks... maybe maybe not TB will be up again... but it will not include me...

I need to focus on my family first... and I cant do that when I am active on TB... so I simply deleted myself and shut down IRC...

It worked... hehehe I do have a lot more time for my family now...

Anyway... nothing lasts forever and I really hope the rest of you fellas have a life outside TB... hahaha

This is Helshad saying goodbye for a long time...

Some of you I might see out there again... but most never again..."

So in closing, it seems, and I must stress "SEEMS" (its all conjecture) that RB went away on holiday's, left some of the admins to run torrentbits, one of the admins decided to leave, then another admin did too, so RB decided to close down the site (and I have no idea if the current climate with other torrent and ed2k sites going down has contributed to his decision).

Just as I'm finishing writing this post, I see that its now offical and torrentbits is now gone.

from torrentbits.org:

Good-bye
    Thanks to all users, uploaders, mods and donors for helping create the best torrent site on the net, but this is where the road ends for us.

I'd like to say thankyou to all the people who worked so hard on tb, and taking time out of their lives to give us such a great torrent site. We couldn't ask them to do it forever, thanks again.

6. Dwayno

Dwayno Member

Thank you for the information Damon1.
    I suppose great things never last forever. I'm sure that a lot of people are absolutely gutted about this news.
    We can only pray and hope there will be a resurrection of some sort.
    Oh dear!!!

7. diggityd

diggityd Member

I'm glad to finally know what went on, but I'm kind of bitter about the whole thing. There was plenty of talk about 'community' on TB, but the site went down like it was just flicking off a light switch. WTF? What kind of community just goes, "oh well, see ya" and that's it? Weak, real weak.

8. john179

john179 Active member

Running a site like BT diggityd takes alot of time and effort.Ok so they flicked off a light as you put it so it happens.There is no point mocking those guy's who run it.Instead of calling them weak those who used it should be thanking them for there time and efforts.

Running any web site can be a 24/7 job for many and not a easy job to.If AD was to go down tomorrow which i know it won't like i would thank them for all the fun and learning i got out of the site.Last thing i would do is call them weak not knowing all the facts.

There is no point being bitter or dwelling on the past you just have to move on like alot of there members are doing now.

9. diggityd

diggityd Member

It isn't that I don't appreciate what they did, I know it takes a lot of work to run such a site. But I also know how easy it is to put up a goodbye message. So I only take issue with how they ended things. By just killing the site with no notice, it was as if they really didn't care. It was like a friend moving and changing his phone number without telling you about it. Whether it was a rash decision or a debated one, they left thousands, if not tens of thousands, of users hanging in the wind. Even suprnova posted a message before ending it. With all the talk of community, I guess I expected a little bit more from a site like TB, but the site I expected nothing from was the one that kept its users informed. To me, that's weak.

10. john179

john179 Active member

I can see what your saying mate but we do not know the full facts behind it.Maybe they wanted to say a proper good bye but was forced not to for reason's we will never know who knows.

11. Reform

Reform Member

if they needed more admins they should of asked for volenteers i am sure a few of there 100,000 members would of helped!

12. john179

john179 Active member

If you look around all the torrent sites are closing.I think it is not just about admins now.This may be the reason they shut down but all others are closing now and they probably knew something we don't.
    But only they know all the facts and they probably had a good reason for closing so quickly without saying there goodbyes.

13. ugiim

ugiim Member

elitetorrents.org just like torrentbits convince more ppl to join elite torrents!

14. osama1234

osama1234 Member

Something bad is going on.
    I looked around a bit, suprnova.org is gone, bittorrent.org is gone, demonoid.com is gone, and this place is gone, i don't even know what this place used to be for, i just did a search on google for "torrent site close" and found myself here.

15. diggityd

diggityd Member

demonoid is still up as are plenty of other trackers. It's yet to be said what is really going on other than the few closings. Maybe just the big guys got letters, not that there is any proof of that.

16. WeeDFreaK

WeeDFreaK Guest

Yow ppl ,

They have a new Irc channel on a other network ,
    and here is the new site ,

they wil start over ,

Maybe problems with there old 1 ,
    al those rumors are nothing but crap

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2004
  17. wazup1023

wazup1023 Member

Hes right, seems like they are starting all over

18. Reform

Reform Member

bet its a fake, the sign up is down at the moment anyway.

if they were just moving there not lightly to write "Good-bye
    Thanks to all users, uploaders, mods and donors for helping create the best torrent site on the net, but this is where the road ends for us."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  19. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

[bold]<WeeDFreaK>[/bold]

torrentbits.org as we knew it IS dead, it will NOT be coming back in it's previous form.

http://www.cyphersworld.com/ is just a site that completely ripped the ol' Tb code, it's not the new torrentbits.org. It still is a torrent site through.

But there is an effort being mustered by some of the uploaders and such of the ol' torrentbits to form a new tb site (but it has to start at square one again, abit with a great start). That site is www.torrentbits2.org

and it's IRC chan is irc.freequest.net #tb2 and tb2-info

hope that clears things up a bit.

20. WeeDFreaK

WeeDFreaK Guest

Believe what you wil ,
    Just keep an ey on that site ,
    manny rumors to manny ,

here is 1 other site BTW ,
    just as quick , but also just started

http://www.torrentpimps.com/