1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to begin with family videos.

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Lowride66, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Lowride66

Lowride66 Guest

To start with I have a JVC SVHS Camcorder. In my computer I have a ATI AIW 9600. I have had both a while but my interest to learn more about what I can do with them was spurred on by installing XBMC in my box.
    I stream these files to my box in mpeg1 format which seem a little big in size ie: 1.3gb for a 30min vid @ good quality setting. (actually today was the first day I have done this).

Here are my questions.
    1. Is there a better way to capture the video than using the ati tv software?
    2. and to what format ?
    3. Can I make them smaller without loosing quality ?
    4. How can I edit it ? such as trimming the ends and maybe text and minor effects.
    5. is there one program that does all this ?
    6. is there something I don't know to ask ?

Nothing fancy I won't be making a new hobby out of this I just want to have nice family videos without involving alot of time.

Any thoughts would be great.

2. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

Hi Lowride66
    I learned alot about capturing from http://www.digitalfaq.com/
    This site discusses understanding your sources, capture resolution etc.
    According to the site author the best software for the ATI AIW9600 is the ATI software. He does discuss the settings for best performance

I hope this helps

3. Lowride66

Lowride66 Guest

chthompson,

Thx for the tip it has been a wealth of info.

Thanks again
    Lowride66