1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to Buy good quality dvd discs cheaply

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by JJYkim, Apr 24, 2005.

1. JJYkim

JJYkim Member

This is just a general question, but the banners in this forum are ads for buying cheap DVD discs. Are these sites reliable? I need good quality dvd discs, but am working w/in a budget, so nothing too expensive..but I still don't want to buy something cheap that won't last...

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I use supermediastore.com. Other people seem to have good results with them too. Taiyo Yuden are the best but be careful. If you see Taiyo Yuden discs that are like 0.50 ea., check for other Taiyo Yuden's that are like 0.80 or 0.90 ea. Those are the real ones.

3. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

If you want some fairly reliable better than average budget media I would recommend branded ritek ridata. No they are not as consistant as verbatum datalifeplus (made by MCC) or taiyo yudens, but they can usually be had for less than half the price and some retailers offer free shipping on them. These will have to be purchased on line. Reputable online stores are as posted by squizzle supermediastore, newegg, rima, and meitline. Good retail store (walmart, staples, comp usa, etc.) media would be maxell, fuji, sony, verbatum (beware of those made by cmc mag). Good luck.

Mort

4. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Check Sunday Newspaper for sales!
    BB has Sony #50 DVD-R/DVD+R for $22.99
    CompUSA has TDK #100 DVD-R/DVD+R for $39.99
    Online, I prefer Meritline.com as I have had no problems and shipping time for my location is acceptable. Shipping charges are less than supermediastore and there are always some "free shipping"{ deals.

5. JJYkim

JJYkim Member

How do I know whether a dvd brand is made by "cmc mag"?

Also, would you recommend sony? Is it reliable?

6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

That's the hard part. That's why I stay away from brand names like memorex and tdk. Tdk does use c-mags in their plus format,as I have been answering many issues with members using the + tdk's these last few days. Their dash format look very good for quality manufacturers.

Maxell uses some very good manufacturers including hitachi,ritek,ricohjpn, and taiyo yuden. No cmags on maxell media!

Fuji has some very good manufacturers,again,no cmags!

Sony: They are tricky. I've found sony ty's on their japanese +1x-8x.Even the +1x-8x taiwanese media are very good. Also their -1x-8x media is looking good. However,beware of some of their 4x and 1x-4x plus and dash media. The 1x-8x are a heck of a lot better.

Here's a little trick when you find a local on sale media for sony, Look for made in japan on those labels.Those sony spindles will be all mixed together on display.

Bestbuy has sony on sale,but I get them cheaper at staples when they are on sale: Under $20. Just search those labels.

Those japanese fuji's and sony's +1x-8x are registering as Yuden000-T02. Very good media.

7. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

squizzle --You say--

[I use supermediastore.com. Other people seem to have good results with them too. Taiyo Yuden are the best but be careful. If you see Taiyo Yuden discs that are like 0.50 ea., check for other Taiyo Yuden's that are like 0.80 or 0.90 ea. Those are the real ones.}

I just ordered 50 Taiyo Yuden DVD+R 8X from Supermediastore for $23 which is less than 50 cents a piece--I checked here and was told they are authentic and referred to a verification site--so you think they may be fakes at that price?

Whitfield

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

http://supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-media.html If you look at this link there is a big red TY logo at the top. As long as what you're buying has that, I think you're ok. I've seen TY's sold without that logo for half the price as TY's sold with that logo. That leads me to believe that this logo signifies genuine TY media.

9. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

squizzle--
    Yes, that is the exact site where I placed the order--did you see the 10 pk of DVD+R pk free after rebate with the order of 50 TY's? The free 10 disks are Linkyo which I will be getting with the Taiyo Yudens--then have to fill out rebate blah blah---but then they are free. Any idea what quality they are? Of course I will run thru DVD info etc., but thought you are someone here has experience with them. Have a good day.

Whitfield

10. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I think the TY's will probably be good as long as they have that logo on the pic (the discs themselves probably won't say anything). As far as the Linkyo, I've never heard of that, so I can't really give you any info on them. But don't be surprised if they are junk.

11. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Thanks--I should have by Wed--thanks for the info-

12. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

In regards to verbatum, look for AZO dye. I don't believe CMC MAG uses AZO dye. Those with AZO dye should be made by MCC = good stuff.

13. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Taiyo Yudens are the best I've ever used (in 4 or so years) ... but they're not exactly cheap.

*moving to correct forum*

14. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

No. They use the special,double secret dye of [bold]CRAP MAG dye[bold]! LOL

I am not sure which species of animals they killed to extract this dye, that is why it is a secret!

I've heard so many bad things about cmags,that I had to try some out. Last december I bought a 20 pack of +8x teons on sale at staples for $5. These were made by ricohjpn-01. The next sale on them were 40 pack spindles of +8x for $7-$8. Wham- I did get the cmags. I've burned about 15 of them and they were ok,But I burned them at 2.4x and didn't put anything important on them.Both my benq's burn anything I throw at them,but I still stick with the quality media.
    My benq's love those metal AZO Dye verbatims, sweeet!

15. JJYkim

JJYkim Member

are these brands good for any dvd burner? I have a pioneer DVD+-RW burner...not exactly sure what the model number is..but the dvd discs you recommend..are they suitable for most burners?

16. novicebb

novicebb Regular member

Well I want extremely budgeted or even generic brand dvd-r disks that will play in most consumer dvd players, pc drives and that they won't be coasters. I really don't care about if it will last a long time as long as it plays in most drives and it will perform at decent write speeds in my NEC 3500A drive. Any suggestions. I have seen some GQ 4x dvd-r for as low as 22.99 for a spindle of 100 from outpost.com and some HP dvd-r at 4x for as low as 24.99 from outpost.com but I don't know anything about them or if I will get good write speeds in my NEC 3500A and if it will play in most consumer dvd players.

So what are some of the best generic brands dvd-r and/or dvd+r disks at 4x or higher that you guys have experience?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2005
  17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

novicebb,
    Your best bet for budget media would be branded Ritek Ridata dvd+r booktyped dvd-rom, but in order to do this you need some modified firmware for your nec to be capable of doing this. The second best alternative would be to use branded Ritek Ridata dvd-r's. These both have to be purchased online (supermediastore, meritline, rima) and can usually be had for around 30 cents a disc sometimes with free shipping.

18. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ novicebb

another suggestion would be the 4x TYGO1s Taiyo Yudens from supermediastore, link is below, i have thousands of these and despite the slower rated speed, should suffice for your burning purposes on that nec.
    these are great from experience, great compatibility and playback for those "on a budget" like yourself. i would stay away from those GQs and i have told another member from a different thread that i've had problems with those in the past, i put them on par with Princo and CMAG quality, VERY LOW to say the least~ :p the "GQ" definitely does NOT stand for Great Quality as they suggest, it's closer to "Gay Quality" if you ask me~ :)

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-4x-dvd-r-media-silver-matte-spindles.html

good luck novicebb

19. Brasco23

Brasco23 Member

Please help asap. I am looking to switch media types. I used prodisc and they were fine but then i bought a new batch from emediadepot and quarter probably failed. I am looking to switch to Taiyo Yuden, ritek ridata, or verbatim hub inkjet printable. I have a project for client and I need to order them ASAP. Also what is the most reliable and good quality websites in the USA to get them from. Thank you in advance!!

20. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Do you want -r or +r. The best price I found for verbatum datalifeplus dvd+r hub printables (media code MCC003=good stuff) was at meritline. You can try supermediastore.com for TY's but may have to buy 100pk to get hub printables (on the +r anyway not sure about -r).