1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get good cheap dvd-r or dvd+r?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by crazyabe, May 12, 2004.

1. crazyabe

crazyabe Member

Hi I was just wondering what a good website is to order cheap but good dvd-r or dvd+r?
    Thanks

2. Braxas

Braxas Member

Newegg, Supermediastore, or Meritline would be the best places in my mind for the US. Newegg has pretty good deals on Ritek's but can be a tad expensive for other brands. I'd look into the other stores as well. :)

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

meritline has ritek go4 ridata branded for 69 cents a disc if you buy a hundred,cheaper if you buy more:http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-g04-4x-dvd-r-blank-media-disc-matte-branded.html_

Last edited: May 14, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Welcome crazyabe,

Quite a question you've posed, cheap but good quality - Well most times you'd just laughed out of the room BUT, today - it's your lucky day, "Uncle" ScubaPete (that's me) has the best advice you're going to hear - Mertline.com is the place and the product is Ritek G04 DVD discs at about $00.69 each -

That’s the word, go to it buddy -

Cheers,

Pete

5. shazbot3

shazbot3 Member

I'm just a Noob, but I did find a 5pk of Verbatim DVD+R in nice cases at (oh no!) Wal-Mart for $11.99. Just a thought...

edit: Good Grief! That sounded like a complete and total mini-van-driving soccer mom!!

6. crazyabe

crazyabe Member

7. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hi crazyabe
    Good luck with those(i guess you really wanted cheap)
    Generic discs, I wouldnt even use them for coasters, but its your choice.If one of the more seasoned members in here, would tell me im wrong,Id be the first one to order them but thats [bold]doubtful[/bold]
    good luck
    jim

8. stalag305

stalag305 Member

Just used FujiFilm DVD+RW and how do you say Junk in every language (choppy and big pix, with audio interupt). Guess this Newbie will listen to those veterans out their that preach Ritek or Verbatim. That was my first time out. "Live,listen,learn and start over"

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Guys, just some additional food for thought - wouldn't you like your backup DVD's to play the next time you put them into your player ?? Silly question ? Not really - when you purchase cheap media you better consider what I call - - -
    "The Time Factor" - One thing I haven't addressed is the life of a backup made on an "el cheapo" disc. Points of fact, inferior discs have a tendency to "Break down" in time. I have had 25 to 30 backups that have refused to play after being stored for a year or more. I test all of my backups when they are burnt to be totally sure that there are no problems. "In olden times," before I knew any better, the Maxell and TDK discs (and any thing that was on sale) was what I used to use before I switched to Ritek and Verbatim, it is the cheap stuff that I have been experiencing trouble with. I noticed that backup DVD's I had been using refused to play in my standalone player and on my PC. VOB files wouldn't play either and other discs that I backed up about the same time would "Jam" part way through the movie. After switching to Verbatim and Ritek s, mostly the Ritek's because the price was right, I've not had 1 go "Flat" in almost 2 years. I still have some backups done on the cheap stuff and as time wears on I lose a few more as I attempt to check them. I say to you, why did a backup play fine in "01"and "02" then "fail" in "03 ?? Some that were done in "01" never made it till "02" and others done about the same time and "Failed" in "04"? All of the backups from "02" and "03", done on the "good Stuff" work fine today - not a single failure !

As always, you have a choice -

Please take a second and read this article -
    http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/story.jsp?story=513486

Pete

10. siber

siber Regular member

ScubaPete, that didn't make me feel any better at all...If your 'bad' media gave out after 1-2 years and your 'good' media are still OK after 3 years...I'm awfully worried about even your 'good' media giving you trouble soon...This is from somebody who became just about insane dealing with 'laser rot' in his Laserdisc collection of 15 years ago.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You're not too much help there siber, 3 yrs ago my son "borrowed" the vast majority of my DVD's figuring that after I had my accident I wouldn't be needing them for awhile - I've heard no complaints from him so far but then I was using Verbatim’s cause I got an employee's discount for them from a part-time job. All my observations have been since then -

Now I'll be losing sleep wondering if I'll get a dreaded phone call some evening, "Hey Pop, your DVD's died." (lol)

"P"

"P"

12. siber

siber Regular member

Sorry, Scubapete, I really didn't want you to lose any sleep over this... Sleeping is one of my favorite hobbies, so I do understand. Now that I have given this thing some thought, I am positive these high grade super duper AZO dye discs will last f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Sweet dreams.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Youse such a nice guy there siber, giving de "Old Man" back a little piece of mind, I do appreciate it, really I do - us old guys need our sleep - (lol)

14. Braxas

Braxas Member

One thing I've noticed is that the original batch of generic discs that I used had a shiny silver top and dark blue bottom. The shiny silver tops seemed to break down very quickly! I rebacked these discs up recently on Ritek's because even after 2 weeks of sitting in a Case Logic case they were starting to look pretty bad. :(

When I look at buying DVD+R's now I mainly stick to Ritek's although I've gotten the urge to try another brand that might be a tad cheaper - but one lesson learned is that I won't use the shiny silver top discs anymore. The silver matte that the Ritek's use hold up great though, have no complaints there. :)

15. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

* moved *