1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whhhhhhhoaaaaaaaaa Daddy That's a Bigg'n

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by kitty66, Feb 2, 2007.

1. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

A REAL BIG ONE...well 3/4 size anyhow. And now it is MINE ALL MINE!!!!!!!!

WHAT!? You ask?

A Johannes Kohr double bass. Killer. Most beautiful thing you have ever seen. It is like a GIANT violin on steroids, It is taller than me. But you slap the crap out of it, not baby it. Slap bang! Apparently that is what it is all about. Unless you are the orchestral type, in which case you may think that rockabilly standup players are the anti-christ. (Stop reading now)

SUPER EXCITING. The thing is unreasonably beautiful and the tone is unreal. It will melt your face off. I have been playing with some of the rockabilly slap stuff and It is so fun I might just spontaneously combust. It is a riot to be able to pull notes and percussion tones out of it at the same time. JUST BEAUTIFUL tones.

(Guess what guys & gals...that electrical engineering math is going to have to take a number and get in line. The big daddy bass has arrived!)

I am eager to hear from you all...anyone out there in AD land have a double bass? Cello players? I hear it is close.

Now...if my husband and I could only decide who's it is. MINE or his. I vote for me, but he is the official picker in the clan. I'll put it to a vote. As an audience (that would be youse guys) would you rather see a cute chick or a cute guy playing the standup?

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITING!

Cheers,
    K

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

cute chicks are hot doing most things with a few minor exceptions.if a cute chick can play guitar why not its better than looking at some big fat 40yo guy.

3. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OK, here is a picture of a kitty with a double bass:

Not suitable for signature however...I have been playing this thing so much my fingers are sore. I can barely type.

Say it with me "BEEFY strings!"

[​IMG]

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

i dream about that kind of bass. >.>

5. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

SO did I, but then I saw this one and it had to come home with me. My fingers are SORE! I have been doing alot of research on players and one quote stands out. ...yeah I developed callouses, now I can stick my hand out of a moving car and stop it with my fingers dragging the ground... It's not an exact quote but you get the picture.

6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

beautiful. ^.^

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Nice bass kitty!!!

At first, I was going to ask if it was a largemouth Bass or smallmouth Bass! LOL

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  8. pepsimaxx

pepsimaxx Regular member

HAHA nice one Saugmon :p havent seen ya aroud in a while.

@Kitty

WOW thats a huge bass. nice, i just have a question, is it like, an orchestra bass, or is it something like you would hear in a rock band? something like famous bass players like Gene Simmons would use?

9. fatstrat

fatstrat Regular member

I think Brian Setzer has a new Bass Man..errrr Bass Girl

Strat

10. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OK, technically this is an orchestral instrument. It it the largest of the violin family. There are two bigger than this the full size and the 7/8ths. But any bigger and you would have to sit down to play it, so I think that's why most rockers use the 3/4.

Our applications... Rockabilly blues and psychobilly type of music for us. We will be plucking and beating on it. This makes a lot of bowhead orchestral types a little nutz! Rockabilly players are often called lazy contrabass players. (The stand up is technically a Contra or Double Bass) I already don't care for their rabid comments on rockabilly bass players...Ah well.

Thanks for the comments, I am just thrilled about it. We had some jazz drummer over tonight and it was lots of fun. The jazz style of r hand work with the rockabilly slap and plunk is a fun thing to fuse.

@saugmon - too funny. Only trout in my pond none of those types of bass around!!!!! Plenty of the others though.

@fatstrat - Thanks for the props but I am not that pro! I am still in figure it the F out mode...lol...it is not like the electric bass AT ALL. Fretless, gigantic, etc.

@pepsimaxx - You know I bet 'ol Gene has one of these in his collection. Probably a much nicer one painted up black and white, but I bet he does not get a chance to use it playing KISS stuff! Can you just see it! Giggler!