1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Blank Media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Ryu69, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Ryu69

Ryu69 Member

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Hi,
    There really isn’t a big difference in the type of DVD you would use + or- . It all boils down to personal preference or what most DVD’s players you own will support. If your stand alone DVD players are newer (within 2 years) chances are they will read either + or – just fine. The most important factor when deciding media would be the brand or the manufacturer of the disc. This is a confusing one and talked about in depth all over the forum. So my recommendations to you would be these disks. Most will agree with this.. I hope :)

Buying Online
    Taiyo Yuden (genuine TY’s there are fakes out there so beware)
    Ritek G04 brand these would be the x4 disks again beware of fakes
    Prodisc 2nd class media, but newer media x8 seems to work well for people

Buying at the store (Best Buy, Office Depot, Wal-Mart ect.)
    Fuji film – Manufactured by Taiyo Yuden, MCC, Ricoh Japan, Prodisc, Fuji Film all fairly good manufacturers
    Maxell – Manufactured by Maxwell, Ritek, RicohJapan, Taiyo Yuden
    TDK – Manufactured by TDK, Ritek, RicohJapan, Maxwell, MCC, CMC Beware of the CMC brand
    Verbatim – MCC, CMC, TY, RicohJapan, Ritek again beware of CMC which it seems Verbatim is using more frequently lately.
    Sony - RicohJapan, MCC, Sony

Note: A good rule of thumb when purchasing your media in the store is to look for “made in Japan or Singapore” stay away from “made in Taiwan or Hong Kong” When buying online always try and get “Branded” media this way you can be sure you are getting the genuine article. There is an exception to that rule and it would be Taiyo Yuden disks. You just need to buy from a reputable dealer when buying online. Here are a few I have bought from with good experience. Of course it isn’t going to be the same for everyone.

Supermediastore.com – Rated number 1 just about anywhere you look.
    Rima.com – Fast and cheap good service
    Mertline.com – Little slower on shipping, but quality media

Ones you should stay clear of
    Shop4tech.com – Let’s just say you get what you pay for.. I received fake TY’s from them

3. stacker69

stacker69 Member

That's not true at all. It does depend on what brand it is because some have terrible burn qualities. + or - is not a big deal but the brands of media you buy are.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What part is not true?

5. Schmak01

Schmak01 Member

Don't go saying BBMayo is wrong without any proof. He has fixed EVERY issue I have ever had burning.

6. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

i 2nd what smack said, nobody needs to hear your interjections stacker when you have absolutely NO evidence to support your comment against bbmayo. like smack, bbmayo has helped me extensively since i became a member, he definitely knows what he is talking about and i have read nothing but sound, solid advice from him in many other threads. there is a general consensus here on AD as to what good quality media is and what to look out for, i feel bbmayo summed it up terrifically (don't even know if that is a word, but bbmayo is my main man on AD) with his online and well as offline media comparison chart. regardless, as this is a public forum, you can go around and tout off whatever you feel is substantial or relevant, but, i assure you, you will not get very far and with even less support saying that bbmayo is incorrect in the above post.

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Now now people I really appreciate the vote of confidence, and I am always here to help anyonr, but I to can be wrong at times. I always love to learn new ideas and suggestions I was just wondering what exactly stacker69 was refering to as not being true as he/she didn't really say? My post did say it had to do with brand/manufaturer and not much to do with + or - so I was a little puzzled about stackers comments is all. Who know's maybe we can all learn something? Again I thank you both for the wonderfull coments and I am glad I can help you all :) I think maybe stacker did what a lot of people do and not read the whole post.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005
  8. NymRod

NymRod Member

I purchased the 4x DVD-R Taiyo Yuden 100 pack from Supermediastore.com
    http://supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-4x-dvd-r-media-silver-matte-spindles-100.html

I purchased the 4x because I read on this forum it's best to burn at 4x for compatibility reasons with older standalone DVD players.
    I left the burn speed set at max thinking 4x would be the top burn speed but they burn at 8x in my NEC 3500A.

I've burned about 20 movies so far, some at 4x some at 8x and they all play fine in my 5 year old Sony DVP-S330 DVD player which is probably one of the worst DVD players ever made, most die after the first year or so.

I think I'll get the printable DVD-Rs next time. I was going to do the stick-on printed labels but not after reading the thread about them here.

NymRod

9. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@nymrod

those 4x of TY u got at supermediastore is exactly what i use too~ they have been great...over a thousand burns and the coasters made were only due to a firmware error that was MY own fault. in the beginning i had the same problem as you, i set my burner at max and on my pioneer i could burn at 12x and my sony at 8x. i noticed with the 8x or 12x burn times some would skip ever so slightly, but, it was not prevalent throughout the entire film, but, noticeable.

i keep all my burning set at 4x now regardless of media, im sitting on almost 2,000 Taiyo Yudens now since my most recent purchase from supermediastore as well as my offline Fuji's and Sony's that are TYG02/YUDEN coded. :) i have this bad habit of wiping out my local stores when i see a good thing, namely, MADE IN JAPAN, i have to push out a shopping cart sometimes, since 10 spindles will not fit into a bag. have a good one.

10. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

bbmayo:
    The made in Taiwan Verbatim 8X DVD-R on sale at BB last week were MCC02RG20. Appear to be impecably manufactured. Even dye, no excess glue, no rough edges. The price of $19.99 for #50 was good for Verbatim 8X. Only did a couple of burns so far. No problem with burner but my DVD ROM did not recognize them. No doubt a firmware issue.

11. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Hmmmm kivory666 your backing up alot of movies huh. remember your only susposed to backup movies you own. and if your buying 1000s of movies and backing up i would be surprised.so i would watch what you posting. but thats me

12. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

@ aabbccdd,

if you were to ever come to my house and see my actual ORIGINAL collection, i think your jaw would drop because i have more than my local family owned video store, and about 1/2 the capacity of any blockbuster or hollywood video store you could ever visit. for some, people find their hobbies in collecting cds, or stamps, or coins...etc...i am an avid DVD collector with well over 2,000 ORIGINAL STORE or ONLINE purchased dvds with all the receipts laid out in front of me for april 15th tax purposes. if you think i am simply taking the "easy and ILLEGAL way" out of this, you are definitely wrong. i appreciate you pointing out what i've said in previous posts, but, your assumption is way off based to think i am here on AD to tout the use of backing up dvds illegally. all mine are completely legit and like i said earlier, i have all the receipts which i am sorting thru at this very moment for tax time deadline come friday of this week. good day to you aabbccdd.

13. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

be surprised...be VERY surprised.

14. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

WOW didnt know you could write off dvds on your taxes.

15. kivory666

kivory666 Regular member

you can when you own a production company and have a business license by law in California~ my accountant clearly found the paragraph and line for business practices in the state which declare purchases made for the business (in this case my production company), whether it be dvds or blanks, can be declared as deductibles. i don't know about personal use, but, i file my taxes under a company business title, which offers me this "break."

16. Ryu69

Ryu69 Member

Hey guys. Just got my batch from NCIX. I read that Manufacturer ID TYG01 are good. I got a batch of TYG02. what is the difference between TYG01 and TYG02 and are TYG02 ones any good? thanks

17. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

TYG01 = 4X
    TYG02 = 8X
    Both good, unless fake!

18. NymRod

NymRod Member

Kivory

What stores do you buy at local and are they any cheaper being there is no shipping cost?

Then there's that awful sales tax on local purchases too.

NymRod

19. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Smaller orders - delivery charge more than sales tax would be.
    Larger orders (approx $50 or more) usually result in delivery charges being less than sales tax.
    However, sales tax varies by location and delivery charges vary by carrier and weight of order.
    Need to "do the math" to answer question more accurately.

20. Ryu69

Ryu69 Member