1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which camera for me?

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by Gnar, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Gnar

Gnar Member

So I plan on filming some skateboarding and BMX. I need a miniDV cam that produces good quality and is fairly robust. I am mainly looking at used cameras and I want to spend under $300. I realize this isn't much money but I have been looking at a couple of cameras right now that fit my price range and will do what I need, the Canon Optura Xi and the Panasonic PV-DV953. I'm just wondering people's opinions on these 2 cameras and if there is anything I should keep in mind about them. I was also wondering if there are any other cameras I should consider and what lenses I should be looking at?

Thanks,
    -Gnar.

2. angus999

angus999 Regular member

I'd first think about which format I want, i.e. MiniDV, Hard Drive, DVD etc.

Look at review sites like Which Camcorder or What Camcorder, or the equivalent where you are.

Ensure that the cam has a firewire port and that your PC does also.

3. Gnar

Gnar Member

In my post I stated that MiniDV is NECESSARY. I have already looked at all those sites. I am looking for a comparison between 2 cameras and want to know what will work best for me. Also both of the cameras I listed have FW ports, so do almost all computers made in the last 3-5 years.

Thanks for trying to help but it is evident that you did not read my post and just read the title.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  4. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Cheers for the half hearted thanks. I did in fact read your post and not just the title. Unfortunately for me, I misread, or ommitted to notice the word miniDV in it.

I'll keep my mouth shut next time, thanks.

5. Gnar

Gnar Member

I wasn't trying to be rude. But you gave me a very general answer that didn't really relate to my questions.

6. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Okay, just thought some people need reminding to check certain things out before purchasing. I'm quite experienced in computing but still made a schoolboy error over Christmas.

I bought a new camcorder to video my newborn twins, then bought a Compaq Presario notebook only to find (when I wanted to transfer my video to DVD) that the notebook does not have a firewire port and no capability to add one!!

There's no fool like an old fool!!!

7. Gnar

Gnar Member

Are you sure you can't add a PCI (or whatever laptop cards are called) card that has firewire ports? If not there are a few USB routers that have firewire ports on them that you could use.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  8. angus999

angus999 Regular member

Unfortunately not, I can't add a card. It's a Compaq Presario 350 and although I realise it's my fault for not checking, assumed any modern computer from a reputable firm would have firewire!

As far as USB routers with firewire, I was told that on another forum that there was no USB to firewire 'converter' as USB quality capture compared to firewire capture is pretty awful!

I'm open to suggestions if there is such an animal!!

I'm still able to do my capturing, but on my desktop which is a bit of an inconvenience as it's a bit lonely/miserable sitting on my own in a bedroom rather than with family on my laptop.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on, I seem to have hijacked your thread.... back to your camera!!!!!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  9. Gnar

Gnar Member

It's fine. I work at a computer store so I'm pretty inclined with this stuff. Any how there are USB hubs on newegg.com that offer firewire throughput. You could also buy a USB capture card (external if course). With that you'd have to use RCA jacks but it would still let you capture decent quality on the laptop.