1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which camera to buy???

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by kazza71, Oct 6, 2005.

1. kazza71

kazza71 Guest

hi all. i am thinking of getting a new digital camera (budget up to $300australian). I am also thinking of getting the epson R310 printer so would like a camera that is pictbridge compatible. any suggestions? have been thinking bout either nikon coolpix 4600 or olympus fe-5500. any feedback on these would be greatly appreciated. thanks....

2. webhedreg

webhedreg Guest

From all the feedback I've seen on Nikon, the quality is very good, but the after sales service is absolutely useless.

If you are lucky to get one that never needs to go back to Nikon, then it will be a good choice.

Personally I give Nikon a wide berth due to the service issues.

Have a look at the Canon PowerShot A520.

Also look here to compare the products you are after.
    http://www.dpreview.com/

3. rihgt682

rihgt682 Regular member

canon powershot A520 is good. OR get powershot A510.
    I think canon makes the best camera.

4. soberfree

soberfree Regular member

Canon is a good but depend what are u gonna to do with the camera? if u mostly take pic. then canon is a very good chose. but if u use it mainly for capture video then go for the sony, cause sony capture in mpeg file and canon use avi file..

5. kazza71

kazza71 Guest

what about the fuji finepix A350? this one looks quite good too! & yes i only want to take pics of the kids with it & maybe enlarge some to 8x10 size at max.

6. webhedreg

webhedreg Guest

I used to have an S5500, picture quality was very good, except in low light.

It always needed a flash or the picture blurred, and the colours then became too bright and white washed.

can definitely recommend the service, as my camera went wrong after 13 months and they still swapped it out for a new one free of charge.

7. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

Canon fan for 25 years here, anything canon, I used to have an A-1, had it stolen, loved that body! Now have a Powershot S45, 4MP, unless you're going to use it professionally, I can print 8x10's from this 4 MP and a decent photo quality pinter that rival actual film prints, now they don't sell the s45 any more, but any of teh newer ones will do an even better job.

8. mikka

mikka Member

Hi

my general rule to buy a digital camera is
    Megapixel: go for 4 megapix, max 5 megapix. Of course the higher the better, but you dont need it unless you are profesional or/and wants to print lager than 8X10 size pics. (Seriously, how many freaking 11X14s photos you will do?)

Lenses: Check on the OPTICAL zoom, dont bother with digital zoom(---> makreting gimmicks) The higher the optical is the more $$$$. Normally 4x is good enough.

Battery: They are important. There is 2 kinds. Normal 2AAs that is very convenient and cheaper to charge (No 100% sure) and if run out during outing, you can buy it almost anywhere. The second kind is Block Lithium. The first one comes with the camera and you will need to buy a 2nd one as backup and they are more expensive (you could just buy it cheaper with no-brand name, I bought mine at FutureShop; I live in Canada) It worth the money especially if you use a lot of LCD screen and flash.

Try the camera out, the button and so on. It might be a good for you but not something I would want. For example, the size of the buttons not easy to push.

Personal things: I am picky on lenses. Mine has Super Macro (I like take super close pictures) that I can take really nice flower pictures.

Canon is good brand to go. I have Olympus; their picture qualities are super.

9. blue1

blue1 Guest

I have fuji finepix andis very good

10. zest

zest Member

do a search on the fuji f10, i think this will be my next camera

11. shuboy00

shuboy00 Member

I know it was said to look for a greater optical zoom, but my question is what is the benefit of having a larger optical zoom? And what is considered a "good" number?

12. RX7Fan

RX7Fan Regular member

shuboy

Optical zoom is using actual lenses to zoom digital zoom is using the electronics of the camera and the "chip" that takes the picture to zoom. (did that help) .... digital zoom actually lowers the quality of the picture.

a better explanation, ... it's like using a magnifying glass to see small print(optical zoom), or bringing the print really close to your face(digital zoom), you'll be able to see the print when it's really close to your face, but if your eyes can't focus close enough, it distorts the picture.

13. kazza71

kazza71 Guest

thanks guys for all ur help!! i have gone with the olympus fe-5500. is 5mp with 3x optical zoom. and has lithium block battery. thanks again!!